Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swittenauer

My Husband Has Been Glutened.....

It seems as though my husband has been glutened. We are unsure of how as of yet. He was up all night with diarrhea & a horrible stomach ache. He has gotten rough & scratchy skin & is very itchy. He is basically feeling lousy all over. He is home from work today with our little girl. Any suggestions on what I can do for him or give him to make him feel any better when this happens. I just feel so bad that he is feeling badly.

July 19, 2005 - My husband Bill was diagnosed, via bloodwork, with Celiac.

August 3, 2005 - Biopsy confirmed Celiac Sprue.

Food Allergies: Chocolate, Shellfish & Gluten

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You can't do much ... keep him hydrated. When I'm glutened water is not enough, I need something with electrolytes.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

So sorry about that, I just have to wait it out when it happens. BUT - - I have read about people using active charcoal when this happens - you could try that.

Good thing he has you for support!

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

I was hoping no one would say wait it out. I guess with each person the amount of time is different for it to go away or get better?

I'm so sorry he is sick--I get the "itchies" when glutened, too. I wish I could offer more than to wait it out, but there really isn't much more you can do. I try to drink more water and I find that potatoes and bananas help when nothing else wants to sit in my stomach. A little food makes me feel a little better. Hope it passes fast :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I'm so sorry he is sick--I get the "itchies" when glutened, too. I wish I could offer more than to wait it out, but there really isn't much more you can do. I try to drink more water and I find that potatoes and bananas help when nothing else wants to sit in my stomach. A little food makes me feel a little better. Hope it passes fast :)

Funny thing you say potatoes ... the only thing that I can eat when I'm having d is usually Ruffles. I don't understand it ... must need the salt and fat??? I used to buy them obsessively and kept them everywhere!

gluten-free 12/05

Funny thing you say potatoes ... the only thing that I can eat when I'm having d is usually Ruffles. I don't understand it ... must need the salt and fat??? I used to buy them obsessively and kept them everywhere!

Ruffles! Me, too! Makes no sense to me either :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Ruffles! Me, too! Makes no sense to me either :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Now when you start giving your husband Ruffles and Gatorade, he's going to wonder where you got that crazy idea from!!

gluten-free 12/05

So sorry about that, I just have to wait it out when it happens. BUT - - I have read about people using active charcoal when this happens - you could try that.

I agree, active charcoal could help absorb a lot of the gluten and lessen unnecessary damage. I'm not sure, but the gluten seems to work on me for a week or so, not just the day I ate it. I used something else a few times, liquid bentonite, and it really helped after taking it immediately.

Dan

Negative blood work

gluten-free since 3/5/06

My son's GI prescribed NuLev, and it helps the pain subside quicker when he gets glutened. I know there was an earlier thread on different medications that some people found helpful. No one-size-fits-all magic pill, unfortunately.

Carol

Gluten-free Casein-free and brainfog-free since 1/06. Yeeeeeha!

Allergic to casein, intolerant to eggs.

Eliminating sugars and most starches (even the gluten-free ones) has made me feel like myself again after many years.

14-year old son diagnosed with biopsy 12/05, gluten-free since 1/06.

How long can his reaction possibly last? I was thinking it would be a few days like it normally is but this time it is still going on.

I can react for 5 days. I'm still feeling bad after a glutening last Friday. My stomach still hurts, but haven't had d since Saturday morning. It's the fatigue and brain fog that have got me still.

gluten-free 12/05

The only effective remedy for me is...to wait it out. Sorry!

Pain pills help with the pain I get in my guts, and arthritis.

I never feel like eating, and the lack of energy feeds the whole emotional reaction as well.

My reactions last 3-7 days in varying degrees and types of symptoms. Emotional symptoms can last longer. For example I got glutened Monday last week, and the "Gluten Paranoia" is still quite high in me today 7 days later!

Michael J. MacCartney

gluten-free 2005-June-24 Dairy free 2005-July-26

gluten / casein intolerant

HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

Diagnosed Celiac 2006-April-24

Father of:

Michael II HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6) - Allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and milk

William HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) - Allergy free

Well, today is the worst yet he says. My husband says he hasn't been this sick since it all started over a year ago. He has had diarrhea all day & has been cold, has a headache, aches all over & is sleeping again right now. He ate some rice noodles & Sierra Mist but I can't get him to eat or drink anything else. Isn't this disease just awful? I know he will feel better in a few days or maybe a week but I just hate seeing him hurt & feel so badly. Time will make it better. I think I atleast know how he got glutened so we can steer clear of buying that again. That is one positive of it all.