This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constant Headaches

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

I've seem to have had a constant pounding headache for the past 4 days (and i supposed a little stress never helps)...could it be stress setting off the headache symptom of Celiac?? Does anyone know how to get rid of a headache without taking Tylenol?? (my stomach would never tolerate it)..

Thanks if you can help..

~lisa~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

You can try eating something really salty. Just a bite. Does it make the headache better? Then eat a bit more. If not, I don't know what to say.

Have you eaten MSG?

Are you dehydrated?

Have you quit caffeine or not gotten enough?

Where is the pain?

num1habsfan Rising Star
You can try eating something really salty. Just a bite. Does it make the headache better? Then eat a bit more. If not, I don't know what to say.

Have you eaten MSG?

Are you dehydrated?

Have you quit caffeine or not gotten enough?

Where is the pain?

nope I have not consumed MSG...

I have been a caffeine addict for years, and i have had my fix of it today (i know i get headaches from going without coffee, but thats not my excuse now! :P )...

I've been drinking coffee, water, iced tea, tea, rice beer...and have been eating veggies all day...

I feel very heavy headed, most of the pain is in the front of the head (it feels like its pinching me). Loud noise are bad! I'm feeling quite dizzy..

That answers your questions ;)

~lisa~

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

if pain is in the front of your head, it's possible it could be sinus related.. unlikely but if you have a cold or are more congested than usual, it could be linked to that

it's also possible that it could be reduced by massaging certain areas of your body, notably your neck and upper back/shoulder area...

if you have blood sugar issues (which I'm assuming you don't or have under control otherwise), then it could be that you haven't got enough protein or had too many carbs/sugar... unlikely considering you've had the headache 4 days though unless you've eaten much different recently

getting away from the computer screen might also help... of course only after you read these replies B)

if you find out how to get rid of it, let me know... I've got one that's about 5 years old now... we've grown too attached for my liking...

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I've seem to have had a constant pounding headache for the past 4 days (and i supposed a little stress never helps)...could it be stress setting off the headache symptom of Celiac?? Does anyone know how to get rid of a headache without taking Tylenol?? (my stomach would never tolerate it)..

Thanks if you can help..

~lisa~

when i get constant headache like this its usually cos im dehydrated. try drinking plenty of water and those hydrateing drinks if you can. i cant ake any pain maeds ithout getting ill but ive tried rescue remedy in the past and its helped me. it will help you to relax a well. sorry for the headache, hope it goes soon.

tarnalberry Community Regular

my thoughts, based on what you wrote:

1. blood sugar (you describe eating a lot of carbs, but little protein/fat)

2. caffeine (you describe a fair amount of caffeine there, and you can find that your tolerance changes - either way - unexpectedly)

3. migraine (due to the noise issue)

4. sinus inflammation or infection

I've had constant headaches - until I got on daily preventatives, I pretty much had constant, low-grade migraines (flaring to much worse once a week or so) for around six months. Depending on what the problem is, there may not be anything in particular to take. If it is a migraine, regular OTC meds aren't going to help - chemically speaking, they cannot address the issue (expanded blood vessels in the brain). If it's a caffeine tolerance issue, you've got to figure out the change; same thing if it's a blood sugar thing. If it's a sinus issue, sinus rinses could help, as could anti-histamines (to dry you out) or decongestants.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Lisa

sorry your not feeling well. I agree with Tarnalberry on some of the things to check out. I get terrible migraines and some time I just put ice on my neck, head, and forehead until I freeze all over and then I down a box of popscicles. By this time I'm frozen or I too run freezing cold water on my neck . I don't respond to heat but ice helps me.If that don't work then I go to excedrin and go to bed. I've tried all the new headache drugs but none seem to work on me and I hate hard drugs anyway.Another thing is I do drink tons of water and try eating protein as that helps too.Another try would be to put pressure in the soft spot between your thumb & index finger on both hands. The big C can give headaches too. How's that end???/

anyway I hope your headaches lessen quickly.

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

mamaw's post reminded me:

the only studied, effective, non-medication method I've heard of for successfully relieving migraines is cold. the ice method metioned sounds more effective that the other way I've heard it presented - take a long, COLD shower. (basically, the whole idea is to make your head cold, to get the blood vessels to constrict. problem is, they're pretty deep in your head, and the brain regulates its own temperature very well, so you're going to have to get your head pretty cold for it to work.)

additionally, you can *over* hydrate yourself, if you're consuming things that are primarily water or basic teas. you'll dilute the vitamins and minerals (particularly mineral salts), if you're not eating enough fruits and vegetables or other electrolyte replacements and just drinking water. this usually isn't a problem, but in hot weather, with much exercise, or over a number of days, can add up to some subtle problems like this.

jennyj Collaborator

When I have a bad headache and don't want to immediately take Tylenol I use my "corn bag". It is a bag filled with corn, duh Jenny, that you place in the microwave for about three minutes. It warms the corn and I put it on my neck, head, wherever I hurt. It helps to ease the pain. Some places call them a Country Warmer.

Guest cassidy

have you been glutened lately? I used to have headaches like that all the time before going gluten-free, now I only get them when I'm glutened. I recently got glutened and had a headache for 12 days. I'm so glad it is gone.

Nothing gets rid of mine except a chiropractor. They called them liver headaches before I knew they were caused by gluten. There are products at the health food store that cleanse your liver and also fast acting liver cleanse type things. I haven't tried any of those since going gluten-free since my headaches went away. The chiropractor would press on my abdomen and work around in a circular motion and pretty soon there would be a gurgling noise (he said my liver was dumping) and my headache would be gone. I'm not saying I undertand it, but it worked!

You might try the health food store. They may have something to help.

mamaw Community Regular

In our local newspaper there is a column called "ask the doctor" DR.Gott is his name. I bet this is in alot of newspapers but to the point. someone wrote to him saying they found a great thing to help headaches. it's called MigreLief. They stated a neurologist recommended it to them.It contains magnesium,vit B-12, and feverfew. I've never heard of it but I'm calling my drug store to see if they carry it. When you get a bad one I'll try anything to get it gone asap.

Has anyone heard or used this before?

mamaw

plantime Contributor

My physical therapist taught me this: pinch the flesh between your first finger and thumb with your other hand (thumb on top, finger on palm). If it hurts, hold it for a few minutes, then do the other side. Repeat several times. Your headache should start letting up. I was skeptical until my headache went away without drugs! It does not work on my migraines, though.

num1habsfan Rising Star

Thanks for the advice guys.

I did a little self-research tonite, and it would only make sense if what I had was a migraine (i've never had a migraine before, so i didnt know what it was lol). But i have like every symptom? hah

Guess its just another thing I can check off on my list of Celiac-related symptoms :P

~lisa~

skbird Contributor
Thanks for the advice guys.

I did a little self-research tonite, and it would only make sense if what I had was a migraine (i've never had a migraine before, so i didnt know what it was lol). But i have like every symptom? hah

Guess its just another thing I can check off on my list of Celiac-related symptoms :P

~lisa~

Yeah, it sounds like a migraine. I had them my whole life but because I insisted I had pain in my shoulders in addition to all the other stuff, doctors always thought they were tension headaches. It wasn't until an accident - a doctor gave me a sample of Frova (migraine drug) and IT WENT AWAY that finally they believed they are migraines.

I get one like yours when I've been glutened. Sometimes my stomach doesn't react, sometimes my head doesn't, but it's always one or the other - or both! Anyway, mine will last several days and the only thing I can do besides take the expensive pills is to eat really gentle foods, despite my stomach not thinking there's a problem. I avoid greasy stuff and go for basic protein and rice and well cooked veggie meals, no fruit, no sugar, reduced dairy. I'm not always 100% and when I slip up, I pay for it!

Take care and I hope you feel better soon. The worst I had was 13 days!!!!

Stephanie

Archived