This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Intolerance

CarlaB

CarlaB Enthusiast

I've been really good lately and have been eating at home. I am so fatigued! I have stayed away from casein and gluten, so have no reason to be feeling like this. I have been consuming some soy. For those of you with soy intolerance, how does it make you feel? I have not had digestive symptoms, just fatigue and fog. I had not been eating soy, and this seems to coincide with the introduction of it into my diet.

Thanks!

Carla

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

i feel similar to I do when I get glutened, but my body aches all over. Very fatigued too.

lonewolf Collaborator

I have to eat a significant amount of it now to get a reaction (not just the little bit in soy lecithin), but I get just yucky feeling and aching in my joints - especially my hands.

jerseyangel Proficient

I get lower abdominal cramping, gas, and a general feeling of being unwell. Soy also makes my face break out--my face gets very oily--the only time this happens is with soy.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thank you for your responses.

Patti, my face is oily today, and I have dry skin ... I never would have connected the two. I'm also having a problem with blemishes.

Today is my first day off it and I feel worse than I've felt since going off casein. With both casein and gluten I felt like I had the flu for a couple days -- body aches, extreme fatigue, brain fog, brain fog, and brain fog!! This is how I feel today, so it must be the soy that was causing the trouble. Beverly, you mentioned body aches, I don't remember having them with gluten or casein, but I sure have them today. I feel like I've been beat up!

Liz, I can only hope to eventually reach the point your are at now!

Will this ever end? Now I'm off the gluten, casein and soy! I hope that's it! I'm really ready to feel better, I feel so useless.

Guest BERNESES
Beverly, you mentioned body aches, I don't remember having them with gluten or casein, but I sure have them today. I feel like I've been beat up!

Will this ever end? Now I'm off the gluten, casein and soy! I hope that's it! I'm really ready to feel better, I feel so useless.

hi Carla- Hang in there... it will get better! I was actually diagnosed with fibromyalgia- would wake up every a.m. feeling like I'd been run over by a steamroller. But the physiatrist was sure it was die to a secondary issue. I haven't had pain like that since I cut out the soy.

Now the question is what to we do for a smooth, creamy frozen treat when it's 104 degrees and we can't have dairy or soy??????

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thanks. No kidding! I miss my latte's, too!

Haagen Dazs chocolate sorbet, it's not creamy, but the chocolate makes up for it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

I am one of those who never had obvious symptoms, or associated anything with soy (or gluten). I have noticed lately that my knees and ankle joints don't bother me much or at all any more. This has been a problem since the 3rd trimester of my first pregnancy. Maybe that had to do with soy and/or gluten. I do know that if I get glutened now I know it, so it may be the same with soy. I am both soy allergic and intolerant, as well as gluten allergic and intolerant. Very dairy light considering going off dairy again. Currently only eat butter but I am mildly allergic to dairy as well.

oceangirl Collaborator
I am one of those who never had obvious symptoms, or associated anything with soy (or gluten). I have noticed lately that my knees and ankle joints don't bother me much or at all any more. This has been a problem since the 3rd trimester of my first pregnancy. Maybe that had to do with soy and/or gluten. I do know that if I get glutened now I know it, so it may be the same with soy. I am both soy allergic and intolerant, as well as gluten allergic and intolerant. Very dairy light considering going off dairy again. Currently only eat butter but I am mildly allergic to dairy as well.

Carla,

I have always known soy bothers my intestinal tract. Just can't seem to digest it- bloating,gas, crampy pain. Don't know what "brain fog" is, although this last awful year before figuring this out I thought I couldn't remember things because of being pre-menopausal, but now I wonder.Feel better.

lisa

jerseyangel Proficient

Carla--I had the exact same symptoms while coming off gluten as you--I know that feeling of having been "beaten up"! I truly felt like a wet dish rag for the first 3 months or so. My tongue also felt like it didn't fit in my mouth anymore--sometimes I couldn't get a word out right to save my life :D

I went through trying to figure out all of my intolerances a while back, and the withdrawl/healing pains are truly underated! Your face will even out soon--it may get worse before it gets better. (Why is that always the case :blink: ) We're always *waiting* to feel better!

I hope this is "it" for you--no more intolerances :)

Aerin328 Apprentice

Soy is a pretty common allergin. I also hear that those intolerant to soy tend to be intolerant to all legumes (peanuts, etc.) Maybe try cutting those out as well while you drop the soy, just to be sure?

Carla, I hope you feel better soon! You've been so good to the people here, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling crumby. For instance, I ordered the Enterolab testing today based on your recommendation (! :) ), and my mother, who's been chronically sick forEVER, ended up deciding to order it to. (The timing to convince her happened to be perfect, and was therefore unintentionally motivated by you!) If she turns out positive, you will have perhaps indirectly helped free someone from the gluten curse. Simple things make a big difference.

Once again, this site is a blessing upon all of us suffer with pre-agricultural-era digestive systems in the mine-field that is the modern American dietary environment!

Meanwhile Carla, remember, "this too shall pass."

jerseyangel Proficient
Once again, this site is a blessing upon all of us suffer with pre-agricultural-era digestive systems in the mine-field that is the modern American dietary environment!

You have a lovely way of expressing yourself! And I agree with you :D

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thank you all for your support, it is great to have you as cyber-friends! Especially since we've moved to a different state, so I don't have a network of friends to lean on yet.

I am feeling much, much better today. It's day 3 off soy. Thankfully, I had not actually been eating it for very long, so it's going more smoothly than the detoxing from the casein and gluten did. I feel better, not 100% for sure, but I was able to make it through my workout (I go to workout even with mild symptoms ... the weight lifting really got me through the bad part when I was losing weight, I think I would have lost a lot more without it), and even clean the house (with my kids help, of course!). I'm in a bit of a daze and still feel like I have a mild hangover, but it seems the worst of it is over. I've only been eating simple, natural foods, nothing processed. So, I'll have to take it really slowly adding things back in so I can see how I react.

Thanks again for your support, it really means a lot. I had been gone, came home and your posts were here waiting for me. I've not felt well for a while now, but I'm not one to complain, this time it just had really gotten to me -- emotionally as much as physically.

jerseyangel Proficient

That's what we're here for :) Glad you're starting to feel better!

CarlaB Enthusiast
Soy is a pretty common allergin. I also hear that those intolerant to soy tend to be intolerant to all legumes (peanuts, etc.) Maybe try cutting those out as well while you drop the soy, just to be sure?

Yes, peanuts bother me and I pretty much avoid them. If I have them only once in a while, I'm okay, but with all the other nut butters out there, who needs them?

Basically, beans tear me up, so I've also been avoiding them for a while. Funny I never thought to eliminate soy!

For instance, I ordered the Enterolab testing today based on your recommendation (! :) ), and my mother, who's been chronically sick forEVER, ended up deciding to order it to. (The timing to convince her happened to be perfect, and was therefore unintentionally motivated by you!) If she turns out positive, you will have perhaps indirectly helped free someone from the gluten curse. Simple things make a big difference.

Keep us posted! I was very happy with their service.

rinne Apprentice

Thanks for this thread.

Perhaps you already know this, I think Chelsea started a thread a little while back about soy in supposedly 100% olive oil.

I indulged in some organic chocolate, dairy free but with soy and have been bloated and had stomach pains, :( I was hoping I could have some small treat but it is the only soy I have had in a while and I have had cocoa and sugar without the same effect. Come to think of it the last time I felt this way was when I went to the gluten free store and indulged in processed gluten free treats.

Bye Bye soy.

AndreaB Contributor

Rinne,

Enjoy Life makes chocolate chips without soy lecithin in them. They are pretty good and that is what I use since everything else carob and chocolate have the lecithin in them.

Archived