This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Gift Baskets

Nantzie

Nantzie Collaborator

I was just looking online to order a gift basket for a friend of mine. She just got her kids back after they spent their first summer with their dad. She was a stay-at-home-mom, and is going through a divorce. So this is the first summer they had been apart, or actually the first time they've been away from each other for more than a few days.

Looking for a gift basket for them just gave me an idea that there should be a decent (and increasing) market for gluten-free gift baskets. Doesn't even need to be anything fancy. Some gluten-free cookies, or some gluten-free snacks. For example, the gift basket I think I'm going to send them is a "Movie Night" basket, which is a ceramic popcorn bowl with microwave popcorn, red vines (gluten!!), and some other candy. It would be so cool if there was a company out there that sent out completely gluten-free food gift baskets, maybe along with the traditional flowers and stuff.

I'm more of an idea person than a follow-through person, so I thought I'd throw the idea out there for anyone who might want to think about doing something like this. I'd definitely be a customer.

:D

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

snapple Apprentice

That is a really cool idea! Not only would it be wonderful to be able to send a basket to a very sensitive (celiac) friend of mine; but to know that I didn't have to think of what to put in it (she is starting back to school in the fall and I am planning to send her a back -to-school care package). Does anyone have any ideas of what I could send her? Besides pencils :P

natalunia Rookie

I know I made one up myself when a friend said she was going to try her daughter on gluten-free and see how it affected her. She was worried about how to start and had asked me a ton of questions, so I went through my pantry and grabbed the basics that I use on a regular basis (that were unopened, of course). I included both rice and corn spaghetti and rotini, macaroni and cheese box mix, Pamela's Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Midel gluten-free Ginger Snaps, Pamela's gluten-free Chocolate Cake Mix, Pamela's gluten-free Baking and Pancake Mix, Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Bread Mix, some gluten-free crackers, and I think a few other things. Needless to say, it was a big basket. Maybe I should start a business doing that.... I used to make Mary Kay gift baskets when I sold Mary Kay, so it wasn't that hard.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

A great idea! I would put together a gift basket containing some good gluten-free cookies, a bag of popcorn, some candy, pretzels, maybe some fruit leather or something. Even a "natural foods" basket would be fun, not having everything revolve around the gluten-free stuff. And a "Beginner's kit" would be killer! I wish I had had that when I left the doctor's office 2 months ago! I think I might talk to my nutritionist and run the idea past her!

As far as the school basket goes, I'd say some munchies, something easy to grab on the go, like pretzels, candy, cookies (individually wrapped), and maybe bagels with cream cheese. That's what I ate a lot of in college...didn't know they were killing me though. Maybe some soda or fruit juice too. Gum or mints would be good too, for being in a social atmosphere. Whenever I put together little goodie baskets for people, I have always liked to add notes to the items, something cute, to bring a laugh or something.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Open Original Shared Link

Oh my gosh this is a neat one:

Description:

For the pizza lover in all of us, and especially for our gluten sensitive customers, this gift basket is a hit. With a 13-inch round pizza stone, a gluten free pizza crust mix, organic pizza sauce and great toppings, you can make this natural pizza hot and fresh from your own oven.

There are a few that might help you out.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

snapple Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My friend is so nervous about going back to school, how she is going to eat, what she is going to eat. I just want to make it a little easier for her. She is just one of those special people!

Katydid Apprentice

WOW- I can't believe the first post I read today was about gluten free gift baskets.

I have been pondering the idea for the last several weeks. I don't expect to get rich or anything; but I love to bake and I absolutely love to make gift baskets. What gave me the idea was that whenever I hear of someone who is newly diagnosed I fill a huge gift basket with goodies, mixes, snacks, idesas and a cookbook. These aren't people I know, but just names that are passed on to me; which makes it even a nicer surprise to to the new celiac. I don't have a pet charity to donate my time and money, so this is what I do. Its kind of like a "welcome to the world of gluten free" So I was thinking that there are folks who would like to give a celiac a gift; and what a lovely personalized gift this would be. They could be custom ordered, too. For instance, a pizza lovers basket, a chocolate lovers basket, a pasta basket, the ideas are endless.

I have a friend here in our city who has a gluten free restaurant and I'm sure she would let me display one near her register with some business cards. I even think our health food store would cooperate, especially if I was using their gluten free products.

It was just this weekend that I started organizing my thoughts on paper; so I was really shocked to see it mentioned here. Must be an omen.

Kay

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

Awesome Katydid!! How funny is that? And there's so many great ideas here.

I think it would be a great thing. I'd definitely order them. I like the idea of a newbie basket too. I never thought of doing that. None of my suspected celiac friends and family have decided to get tested yet though. <_<

Nancy

Turtle Enthusiast

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!

GFBetsy Rookie

I've talked to 2 people recently who are starting to do gluten-free gift baskets here in UT - a store called Against the Grain, and a company called Always Amy. In case someone wants one already made up . . .

Mahee34 Enthusiast

if those baskets have pretzels that don't taste like cardboard i will buy 8 of them :)

Archived