This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Disease + Child Abuse

Jay Silverman

jesscarmel Enthusiast
What about those of us without social workers?

any person can call child protective service and file an anonymous allegation for medical neglect, abuse or any type of nelect. it does not have to be a social worker. the difference is social workers are mandated to do that and others are not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
Well, I can only speak for myself and the way I hope to raise my sons when they are 15 (they are only 4 & 5 now). My Celiac will not be eating gluten while in my care and certainly will not be having sex in my house, protected or not :) . Of course I will teach them how to be safe. I am not naive to what kids do (I am a teacher) but I feel allowing it at home says it is ok. Allowing inappropriate behavior in the house will not stop the inappropriate behavior outside your house, it might just be more inappropriate outside the house. Scary thought, no more debating. This has gotten off topic. To each his own.

Nic, you have 10 years to you get to this ... and I'm sure you will do a great job :D

I think we agree mostly and really what I'm saying is that they are your kids and unless its something really dire and immediate like not giving insulin then it should be your decision and what I think shouldn't affect you certainly not legally and I certainly shouldn't be judging you for doing your very best you can.

What I'm saying is I don't support it and I don't support marriage at 14 either... but that the distinction in the particular case of a 15 yr old being referred to as "child abuse" is IMHO not taking the term child abuse seriously nor allowing the facts of the case.

However, the parent will not stop the child if he tries to eat gluten and often will give him food with gluten, as to not make him feel like he's missing out on what everyone else has.

I think this is stupid but I don't know the details.... you might be right that permitting it in the house won't stop anything but equally if the kid is 15 and stupid enough to want to eat gluten against the consequences I just don't see how the parents can stop him or her without resorting to other things that could equally be classed as child abuse. Most off all i think intervention by social services and putting the boy into care is likely to do more harm than good.

I hope to raise my sons when they are 15
I still call my parents for advice at 38.... they are still raising me!
Jodele Apprentice

I just saw in the news yesterday that a 15 teen old boy faught his parents in courts and won. He did not want chemo for his cancer. :o He won his case. can you believe that. I dont remember what state that was from but if a teen can refuse medical treatment there is no way to make the other boy not eat gulten. The goverment is taking parenting out of the rights of the parents. (if this makes sence.)

Jodele

penguin Community Regular
I just saw in the news yesterday that a 15 teen old boy faught his parents in courts and won. He did not want chemo for his cancer. :o He won his case. can you believe that. I dont remember what state that was from but if a teen can refuse medical treatment there is no way to make the other boy not eat gulten. The goverment is taking parenting out of the rights of the parents. (if this makes sence.)

Jodele

He didn't fight his parents, actually. His family fought the state that was trying to give him chemo again, he wanted to do alternative treatments (Hoxey). His winning the case is actually a very good thing for parents, because it means that the state doesn't have control over your children. For now.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I think this somehow relates to the case that Andrea posted about, where a 15-year-old who had had cancer, had had chemo (and barely survived the chemo), and then had a relapse. His doctors insist that he must have another round of chemo; the kid says no way (with his parents' full support), he wants to try alternative treatments. The doctors are trying to take custody from the parents to FORCE the kid to have chemo. They are claiming medical neglect, I think.

It illustrates that drawing the line between parental judgment and medical judgment is indeed a very, very difficult thing--especially the way our society officially worships the medical community (whether they know what they're doing or not).

I'm sure there are many who would say that the medical community worships itself....

Oops, I guess we cross-posted!

Jodele Apprentice
I think this somehow relates to the case that Andrea posted about, where a 15-year-old who had had cancer, had had chemo (and barely survived the chemo), and then had a relapse. His doctors insist that he must have another round of chemo; the kid says no way (with his parents' full support), he wants to try alternative treatments. The doctors are trying to take custody from the parents to FORCE the kid to have chemo. They are claiming medical neglect, I think.

It illustrates that drawing the line between parental judgment and medical judgment is indeed a very, very difficult thing--especially the way our society officially worships the medical community (whether they know what they're doing or not).

I'm sure there are many who would say that the medical community worships itself....

Oops, I guess we cross-posted!

That ok you had more info I just saw a little bit of it not the full story :lol:

2kids4me Contributor
I think that what´s happening in this child´s home could be a case of lack of education about the seriousness of coeliac disease and the consequences of not sticking to the diet. Without knowing the people involved it´s difficult to make a judgement. Also with so many doctors unwilling to recognise this disease maybe the mother can be forgiven her ignorance but should definately be brought up to speed pretty quickly.

If the child has mild or even no symptoms it´s difficult to convince family and the social circle that there really is a problem and so there will be a real lack of support.

I agree with that, and think of all the knowledgable people here who have posted that they went to a doctor that told them - kids can outgrow it or - its sucha hard diet to stick, a little gluten is Ok,. how do we know what medical doctors told this family?

and even if they came here..... looked at the forum, many poople still believe doctors know it all so if the doctor said it was ok....

I have been judged myself - when I give my son some ice cream or a piece of chocolate - one lady came over and said ( in jugemental tone) - isnt your son diabetic? You should know better! Yeah, you're right lady I do - I counted the carbs, he just biked 8 kms and he is allowed sweet treats - in measured amounts. The same person told me if I avoided sweets, he wouldn't need insulin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
I agree with that, and think of all the knowledgable people here who have posted that they went to a doctor that told them - kids can outgrow it or - its sucha hard diet to stick, a little gluten is Ok,. how do we know what medical doctors told this family?

and even if they came here..... looked at the forum, many poople still believe doctors know it all so if the doctor said it was ok....

I have been judged myself - when I give my son some ice cream or a piece of chocolate - one lady came over and said ( in jugemental tone) - isnt your son diabetic? You should know better! Yeah, you're right lady I do - I counted the carbs, he just biked 8 kms and he is allowed sweet treats - in measured amounts. The same person told me if I avoided sweets, he wouldn't need insulin

I think you just covered what I was trying to say.

What worries me is that we don't know the details here and we don't know the circumstances and we don't know a lot. The same dr. may have said the same to many others... the kid might have behavioural problems ... we don't know... for all we know the kid might have been given 3 years to live ! Please take a look at the DS thread where a bunch of Dr's are advotating not treating DS kids for celiac.... I don't agree but compare the two.

As someone said, some people are mandated to report this because its their job .... but anyone thinking of doing this should take some time out and visit a care home and see if they think the kid would be better in the states care.

Some kids on certain meds can be a danger to others if these are not taken... this kid is endangering his health.

As for 15 and majority.

Sorry but when I was 15 I was working full time, in charge of the household expenditure and negotiating mortgages for my sick mom. I was not a particualrly mature 15 year old either.....

We had a incredible post on here a few weeks ago by a (I hesitate to tuse the word girl) very brave and responsible young lady who had through consequences had to take responsibility in her household. I seem to remember she was around 15.

Archived