Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IrishKelly

Any Gluten Free/lactose Free Green Bean Casserole Recipes?

:( ...this is my only Thanksgiving dilemma! Any suggestions?

Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.

Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.

Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Anybody???

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

I wish I could help. I have made a green bean dish by adding canned mushrooms, diced onions, and bacon pieces. I have wondered if I could heat some cream and add cornstarch and water to it to make a thickened cream but have been afraid to try. <_<

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

I wish I could help. I have made a green bean dish by adding canned mushrooms, diced onions, and bacon pieces. I have wondered if I could heat some cream and add cornstarch and water to it to make a thickened cream but have been afraid to try. <_<

Hhmmmm...maybe i could try buttermilk w/cornstarch. I'll have to do a trial run before thanksgiving. I heard on here that Progresso's creamy mushroom soup might me gluten free...but i'm not sure about lactose. I think i can have butter and buttermilk, but not milk, cheese, ice cream, etc... Anyway, thanks for the idea.

Allergic to Codeine.

No problem :)

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Guest Kathy Ann

I use Thai Lite Coconut Milk for my dairy-free sauces. I prefer the original, but they added soy lecithin and xanthan gum to it which leaves me out. (soy and corn) The Lite only has guar gum in it.

So are you lactose intolerant or casein intolerant?

I'm not sure! I know i can't handle the lactose, it gives my horrible gas pains, so last night i tried butter because someone on here said it was lactose free...but within a couple hours i had that gas again :blink:

Allergic to Codeine.

Can you use non-fat dried milk? Or do you know of a substitute that you can use for it? I have a gluten free cream soup recipe that I can post if you are interested, but it uses non-fat dried milk.

I have a recipe by Bette Hagman that uses powdered infant formula instead of nonfat dry milk for those who can't handle dairy at all. It has options for those who can't have soy either, like me. I've never tried it, but I'd be happy to pass along the recipe...

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

Can you use non-fat dried milk? Or do you know of a substitute that you can use for it? I have a gluten free cream soup recipe that I can post if you are interested, but it uses non-fat dried milk.

You could try Vance's Dari Free. It comes as a powder.

http://www.vancesfoods.com/

I use it both mixed with water and dry--depending on the situation :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Wow this thread is exciting because I've been wondering how to make dairy-free, gluten-free casseroles and now I have a bunch of ideas. Creamy Portabello soup sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try that out.

*Gluten free since 7/06

*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

I have a recipe by Bette Hagman that uses powdered infant formula instead of nonfat dry milk for those who can't handle dairy at all. It has options for those who can't have soy either, like me. I've never tried it, but I'd be happy to pass along the recipe...

I just saw your cookbook...and you're pretty much a lifesaver. I just started the gluten free diet on September 28th and it is starting to catch up to me that I am actually on it. I am running out of ideas already. So this is wonderful. Thank you so much!!!

:( ...this is my only Thanksgiving dilemma! Any suggestions?

I've read that using Funyons (not sure about the spelling!) crumbled on the top of the casserole is a good substitute for the French's onion rings. I haven't tried it myself, though!! I don't think I'd put them on the top until the casserole is almost done baking, because I think they might burn easily.

C

http://www.deliciouslyglutenfree.blogspot.com