This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Infertility

Natlay

Natlay Apprentice

Has anyone else had problems with not getting a period for a very long time? I have not had one (except for when I was on the pill for a while) in quite a while. I know I'm at a low weight right now and that could be part of the problem, but I don't get it even after gaining some weight. I don't know if I ever want to have kids but I would at least like to have the option. Is this something that is common with celiac disease or should I be more worried and see the doctor about it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Natlay, it is quite common for people with celiac disease to have fertility issues, including not getting their period. Hopefully, once you recover and gain some weight, things will normalize. But it can't hurt to mention it to your doctor.

sillyyak Enthusiast

I also have not gotten my periods in awhile and only get a withdrawl bleed on the pill. They just diagnosed me with premature ovarian failure, so you might want to check into if you have that.

IrishKelly Contributor
Has anyone else had problems with not getting a period for a very long time? I have not had one (except for when I was on the pill for a while) in quite a while. I know I'm at a low weight right now and that could be part of the problem, but I don't get it even after gaining some weight. I don't know if I ever want to have kids but I would at least like to have the option. Is this something that is common with celiac disease or should I be more worried and see the doctor about it?

Yep, i started to become very irregular (like i would go anywhere from 2-5 months without getting it) around the age of 21. When my husband and i wanted to plan our second child it took us almost a year to conceive her...but i have recently found that this was all linked to my body being low in vitamins. I recently remembered that once i started to take womens multi-vitamins, two months later i got pregnant. The malabsortion included all the necessary things my body needed to function properly...it's amazing to me now to know that i was having conceiving issues because something as simple as a lack of vitamins...i hope this helps ;)

powderprincess Rookie

I am wondering whats up with my cycle as well. I wish you good luck and good health and hope you figure out what is going on.

I have been gluten-free since May and off the pill since Aug. My periods are really far apart and I am taking vitimins. I don't think I am technically underweight but have lost a little, only because I don't eat as many cupcakes and cookies (I think that's why anyway). I have been feeling good, but the weird cycle is questionable, I'm thinking unless when I pee on stick tomorrow there's a plus sign, I should probably go to a doctor and ask what the deal is.

Michi8 Contributor
I am wondering whats up with my cycle as well. I wish you good luck and good health and hope you figure out what is going on.

I have been gluten-free since May and off the pill since Aug. My periods are really far apart and I am taking vitimins. I don't think I am technically underweight but have lost a little, only because I don't eat as many cupcakes and cookies (I think that's why anyway). I have been feeling good, but the weird cycle is questionable, I'm thinking unless when I pee on stick tomorrow there's a plus sign, I should probably go to a doctor and ask what the deal is.

Have you ever considered trying FAM? (Check out the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler.) Charting your basal temp and other signs/symptoms during your cycle can give you information on what is going on, and provides your doctor with some detailed info for easier diagnosis & treatment.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I had irregular periods before diagnosis, but it went in the other direction. I'd have my period very heavy for two weeks straight, and then I'd get two weeks off before it came back in full force for another 2 weeks. My PMS symptoms were always severe, and I'd often have to stay home because even maximum absorbency tampons and pads weren't enough to slow it down enough for me to stand up for more than a few minutes at a time. At 15, the doctors needed to put me on the pill for hormone control (I was far from needing it for prophylactic purposes). After diagnosis though (when I was 24), I started getting normal periods after only a few months. It's nice to be normal now, but the PMS is still a killer if I don't use medicine. I have no idea what caused this, but I'm glad that it's back on track because I spent so much time anemic in the past.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast

Infertility can be caused by low Thyroid too - so you may want to check that out with your Dr. Make sure you get Antibodies tested. Hashimotos Thyroid is an autoimmune disease like Celiac and often they co exist.

abc Rookie

I am now 35 with 2 kiddos, but had a very very irregular period for most of my youth (I would go months (read 10-12) without one. I was regular when I was on the pill too - but as soon as I went off it, I never got my period. We tried off and on for 2 years for a baby. I did have big issues with infertility with my first daughter, but with a lot of assistance of fertility drugs, was able to get pregnant finally. That was about 4 years ago. When I finally weaned her, I became very regular - and was able to get pregnant with my son rather quickly. I did use TOni WExler's book (someone else in this thread recommended it). I am not a confirmed celiac, but do think gluten intolerance had something to do with it...the female body is incredibly intuitive and very sensitive to what it perceives as inadequate environments for a fetus. Gaining weight might help you, but don't necessairily expect it to...you might want to see a physician to have them help you bring down your period (with progesterone) and if that doesn't work, they will probably check your thyroid, check you for premature menopause - all the fun stuff. Its best to know...before you get too far along. Also, remember that periods are there for a reason - it is important to shed the lining every month - if you are not, it can build up and a d&c might be in order to clean it out (that happened to me as well). SO, I guess I would recommend going to a doc - just to be sure all is okay. Good luck!

elaine33 Apprentice

I had infertility issues and irregular periods my whole life. I had two late pregnancy losses and saw a reproductive endocrinologist, who diagnosed me with polycystic ovarian syndrome because of the appearance of a lot of small pearl-like cysts on my ovaries. His information was so much more helpful and accurate than my OB's, so I would recommend a reproductive endo very much.

Here is a site about PCOS - www.soulcysters.com

• 2 weeks later...
Nova-Gryphon Newbie

Fertility issues and irregular periods are how I ended up self diagnosing. I had been irregular all my life and I had to use fertility drugs to get pregnant with my first daughter. After giving up wheat I was able to concieve normally with my second daughter. Still not 100% regular, but by charting my temperature I was able to concieve in 3 months.

Archived