This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beer

pegom1

pegom1 Rookie

Has anyone tried all 3 gluten-free beers: Ramapo Valley, Bard's and New Grist? I found a beverage store around the corner from the Gluten Free Bread Basket in Chester, NY that carries all 3 gluten-free beers. I only ever had Ramapo Valley and wondered if anyone had an opinion on which of the three tastes the best....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

I've had both New Grist and Bard's Tale. We can't get Ramapo here. Bard's Tale is my favorite. It's a very rich, full flavored hopsy beer. My non-gluten-free DH and I both love it. New Grist is a lighter beer with less flavor and body, more like a light beer. I prefer the Bard's Tale.

mouse Enthusiast

I don't like the Rampapo (sp). I think the Bard's Tale is fine but too heavy for my personal tastes. Even tho that is what I will be drinking for the next month (New Grist is not here yet). I have had several of the New Grists in Las Vegas and that is the one I like the best. And like Guhlia said it is more of a light beer. So, it would depend on your personal tastes which of the latter two you would like.

ehrin Explorer

I've had Ramapo and Bard's -

Ramapo is very sweet and more like a mead -

Bard's Tale is a flavorful lager - similar to Harp and I quite enjoy it!

Although, I did like very hoppy strong Ales - Harpoon IPA was my absolute fav

so strong beers suit me quite well!

Sterndogg Apprentice

As ehrin said,

Ramapo - very sweet from the honey notes (like mead); my least favorite

Bard's - heavy bodied with a solid flavor profile

New Grist - lighter on the palate but still damn good

Bi-Aglut (Italia) - very similiar to New Grist - lighter buckwheat beer

And yes in my former life my favorite beer was Harpoon IPA!!

coronalime Rookie

Bards was discontinued for awhile. It had a yeast problem. New Grist right now is the only one I can get my hands on. It serves its purpose. I LOVED dark beers so its just not the same. But when you need a beer they work. Never heard of the other one you listed.

killernj13 Enthusiast

Here's a email I received last week. Bard's is back. Got a case on Sunday.

gluten-free Beer Now Available in NJ

Dear Bard's Tale Clan:

We are pleased to announce that Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold is now available in New Jersey. It has been a long wait, but we believe it will be worth it.

You can find existing establishments carrying our beer by using our Beer Locator.

Our distributor for New Jersey is Hunterdon Brewing Company and you can find their contact information at www.bardsbeer.com/distributors.asp. In addition, since this is our initial launch in the state, you will find 2 downloadable letters under Hunterdon Brewing Company contact information. Give these letters to establishments that you want to carry the beer. Only your demands will make it readily available around the state.

We sincerely thank you for your patience and ongoing support while we work to get you the beer you rightly deserve.

Cheers,

Kevin Seplowitz,

President. Celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RP4Me Newbie

I've had all three and LOVED Dragon's Gold. In my opinion, it's the closest to regular beer. I hated the Ramapo Valley and couldn't even get through one bottle. Gross. New Grist is ok too, but sweeter than Dragon's Gold. Try the Dragon's Gold if you can find it!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

4. - Smith-Ronald replied to Soleihey's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lymph nodes

5. - Bayb replied to Bayb's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Trying to read my lab results

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .
    • Smith-Ronald
      Enlarged lymph nodes in neck and groin with celiac are not uncommon. They can take time to reduce even after going gluten-free. Monitoring is key.
    • Bayb
      Hi Scott, yes I have had symptoms for years and this is the second GI I have seen and he could not believe I have never been tested. He called later today and I am scheduled for an endoscopy. Is there a way to tell how severe my potential celiac is from the results above? What are the chances I will have the biopsy and come back negative and we have to keep searching for a cause?