Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone tried all 3 gluten-free beers: Ramapo Valley, Bard's and New Grist? I found a beverage store around the corner from the Gluten Free Bread Basket in Chester, NY that carries all 3 gluten-free beers. I only ever had Ramapo Valley and wondered if anyone had an opinion on which of the three tastes the best....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've had both New Grist and Bard's Tale. We can't get Ramapo here. Bard's Tale is my favorite. It's a very rich, full flavored hopsy beer. My non-gluten-free DH and I both love it. New Grist is a lighter beer with less flavor and body, more like a light beer. I prefer the Bard's Tale.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I don't like the Rampapo (sp). I think the Bard's Tale is fine but too heavy for my personal tastes. Even tho that is what I will be drinking for the next month (New Grist is not here yet). I have had several of the New Grists in Las Vegas and that is the one I like the best. And like Guhlia said it is more of a light beer. So, it would depend on your personal tastes which of the latter two you would like.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

I've had Ramapo and Bard's -

Ramapo is very sweet and more like a mead -

Bard's Tale is a flavorful lager - similar to Harp and I quite enjoy it!

Although, I did like very hoppy strong Ales - Harpoon IPA was my absolute fav

so strong beers suit me quite well!

My name is forgettable, so I invite you to remember this tale." (RG)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, by biopsy, 10/05

T1 diabetic since 2/80

As ehrin said,

Ramapo - very sweet from the honey notes (like mead); my least favorite

Bard's - heavy bodied with a solid flavor profile

New Grist - lighter on the palate but still damn good

Bi-Aglut (Italia) - very similiar to New Grist - lighter buckwheat beer

And yes in my former life my favorite beer was Harpoon IPA!!

Bards was discontinued for awhile. It had a yeast problem. New Grist right now is the only one I can get my hands on. It serves its purpose. I LOVED dark beers so its just not the same. But when you need a beer they work. Never heard of the other one you listed.

Here's a email I received last week. Bard's is back. Got a case on Sunday.

gluten-free Beer Now Available in NJ

Dear Bard's Tale Clan:

We are pleased to announce that Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold is now available in New Jersey. It has been a long wait, but we believe it will be worth it.

You can find existing establishments carrying our beer by using our Beer Locator.

Our distributor for New Jersey is Hunterdon Brewing Company and you can find their contact information at www.bardsbeer.com/distributors.asp. In addition, since this is our initial launch in the state, you will find 2 downloadable letters under Hunterdon Brewing Company contact information. Give these letters to establishments that you want to carry the beer. Only your demands will make it readily available around the state.

We sincerely thank you for your patience and ongoing support while we work to get you the beer you rightly deserve.

Cheers,

Kevin Seplowitz,

President. Celiac.

I've had all three and LOVED Dragon's Gold. In my opinion, it's the closest to regular beer. I hated the Ramapo Valley and couldn't even get through one bottle. Gross. New Grist is ok too, but sweeter than Dragon's Gold. Try the Dragon's Gold if you can find it!