This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving.....

linds

linds Apprentice

I know that there have been a bunch of random posts dealing with what to eat on thanksgiving. I was hoping that here people could write their favorite foods or recipes for thanksgiving. A main question I have is which kind of turkey to get from just the normal grocery store.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

The nice thing about Thanksgiving is that it converts very easily to gluten-free. I'm not much on recipes (most of my food I cook just by memory or adding/creating what I want), so here's what I had last Thanksgiving (I made everything myself to make sure it was gluten-free, so we all had a gluten-free meal, and everyone thought it was great!):

Turkey--I bought either Butterball or Shady Brook Farms--I can't remember which.

Apple rice stuffing

Mashed potatoes

Macaroni and cheese (with Tinkyada noodles)

Green beans

Cranberry sauce

For dessert I made a blueberry cobbler.

This year, I'm dairy free, too, so I'll just take off mac and cheese from the list.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, just let me know!

Michi8 Contributor

I buy a fresh grade A turkey. Have had great results with cooking a fresh, rather than frozen, bird.

Favourite sides:

cabbage rolls

make ahead mashed potato casserole (potatoes mashed with sour cream, cream cheese, parsley, marjoram, salt, pepper, and green onion)

cranberry relish (fresh cranberries, onions, horseradish, sugar and sour cream) check out this recipe: Open Original Shared Link I like having the turkey with this relish better than with gravy...plus it makes a great sandwich spread for turkey or roast beef. YUM!

string beans (blanched then sauteed in butter w/thyme and lemon)

creamed carrots

Michelle :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

I posted my most common thanksgiving recipes on my recipe thread - turkey, stuffing, potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc.

Guest nini

I get my turkey at Whole Foods... just their regular ol fresh turkey. I use a Reynold's Oven Roasting bag and the turkey comes out perfect...

I make a Cranberry Orange Relish that is out of this world, it's simply frozen cranberries (or fresh) fresh oranges (peels and all, remove seeds) and sugar to taste, combine in food processor and put in sealed container in fridge for at least an hour or more to let flavors combine

Also for stuffing I use my granny's cornbread stuffing recipe that is posted somewhere on this forum if you do a search for granny's cornbread stuffing you should find it.

Sweet potato casserole is naturally gluten-free with either sweet potatoes or canned yams, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, Kraft marshmallows on top at end of baking...

Pumpkin Pie made with The Gluten Free Pantry's Perfect Pie crust mix. You can also use Gillian's ready made crust, or Natural Feast crust. (Natural Feast also has a premade gluten-free frozen pumpkin pie but I didn't care for it)

Green Bean's you can mix in a gluten-free creamy mushroom soup (I usually use Imagine Creamy Portobello Mushroom soup) not the whole container, just enough to keep moist, salt, pepper, a little LaChoy soy sauce mixed in, gluten-free corn flakes crumbled in and sprinkled on top.

Grits Casserole (a great southern tradition) if you want the recipe PM me.

Mashed Potatoes

for gravy I use packets from a company called Road's End Organics, the one I get is a golden gravy mix and it's clearly labeled gluten-free. And I mix it together with the juices from the turkey.

Green12 Enthusiast

This is my typical Thanksgiving menu:

I used to get a fresh turkey at the health food store (Shelton's, I believe is one of the brands they carry) but the last couple of years I have been getting turkey tenderloins from the Wild Oats butcher and I rub them with a paste made of fresh herbs (tarragon, basil, thyme, marjoram, oregano), garlic, sea salt, and olive oil and then I cook them in an electric skillet- makes it easier for me than doing a whole turkey.

I make gravy in the electric skillet with all the great drippings and herbs left over from cooking the tenderloins, equal parts gluten-free flour or other substitution and butter and then add chicken broth slowly until it thickens)

Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes/Yams (peeled and sliced in wedges sweet potatoes or yams, or a combination of both, tossed in olive oil, fresh rosemary, sea salt, and orange zest and roasted until soft and a little brown around the edges)

Smashed Red Skinned Potatoes (from Giada on The Food Network, cooked until tender red skinned potatoes, olive oil, sea salt and pepper, smashed with a fork, parmesan cheese is optional)

Corn Bread Dressing (just modify a corn bread stuffing/dressing recipe by making a gluten-free corn bread, sautee celery and onions in butter, toss with cubed dry corn bread and herbs, and add chicken broth to moisten- last year I threw in a little wild rice for something different)

Roasted Brussel Sprouts (brussel sprouts, cleaned, halved, tossed with olive oil, sea salt and pepper and roasted until brown and crispy)

Green Beans w/Viniagrette (green beans steamed until tender and tossed with a homemade viniagrette- lemon juice, olive oil, gluten-free dijon mustard, savory, minced garlic, sea salt, and pepper)

Cranberries (fresh cranberries, water, honey, cinnamon boiled until cranberries pop and sauce thickens)

jerseyangel Proficient

Last year was my first gluten-free one. We had dinner here--so I made everything gluten-free. (Except a basket of 'regular' rolls)

Fresh Butterball Turkey/gravy

Dressing (Carriefaith's recipe)

Mashed potatoes

Green Beans

Mashed squash with maple syrup, orange juice and pecans

Cranberry-orange relish--the same exact recipe that Nini uses! Nini--my husband's mom has been making that for years--that's how I learned about it :D

Pumpkin pie, homemade using Gluten Free Pantry Piecrust Mix

Gluten Free Pantry Truffle Brownies

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived