Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nikki8

Low Fat Recipes?

Does anyone know any websites or books for lower fat gluten free recipes? With regular recipes you can substitute ingredients to lower the fat, but I've heard it's not that easy with gluten free recipes-in particular, cakes, pies, cookies, etc. I have "Wheat free, gluten free, reduced calorie cookbook" by Connie Sarros. But I'm hoping for more options and "Gluten-Free Gourmet cooks fast and healthy" isn't really very low fat.

Any recommendations or even recipes to contribute?

Thanks,

Nikki

(just diagnosed 2 weeks ago)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know about desserts, but you can find some good recipes on epicurious and all recipes if you look up "Gluten Free". Also, I 've found some good recipes at food network, under their healthy recipes section. Sorry, not tons of help here, good luck!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

I don't know about desserts, but you can find some good recipes on epicurious and all recipes if you look up "Gluten Free". Also, I 've found some good recipes at food network, under their healthy recipes section. Sorry, not tons of help here, good luck!

Is that just epicurious.com?

After trying desperately for months to make good gluten-free and low-fat baked goods, I finally realized that it's practically impossible. The same recipes that I thought were just really bad recipes were actually wonderful when made with only slightly reduced or full fat ingredients. Gluten-free baked goods for some reason just need the fat. Not sure why.

That said, there is a recipe for chocolate silk pudding in my cooking blog. That's naturally fat-free. Enjoy!

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

i use basic low and fat free variations in all of my baking and cooking. i've never had a problem with subbing.

Gluten-free, Vegan

yes, epicurious.com. sorry about that :blink:

i like to use lowfat dairy products, like sour cream and cream cheese. i also like to flavor things with spices and salsa to substitute fatty flavors. like in a taco salad, i'll use a dab of sour cream and lots of salsa instead of ranch like i used to. :)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

I use eggbeaters in all my baking (even made some gluten-free Pantry French Bread with it and it worked!). I tried the applesauce in the brownies thing and that didn't work (too rubbery), so I basically am sticking with just the egg substitutes - at least that's a little lower fat :)

Oh, and I did try applesauce in the Pamela's Baking mix muffins and those worked - muffins and fruit breads might work better lowfat than brownies and cookies.