Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gadgetgirl

How Do You Test Quickbreads/cakes For Doneness?

In my days of baking with gluten flours, I would always use a toothpick to test if a cake or a quickbread was done - it would come out clean if the item was ready. But now that I'm baking with alternative flours, I find this technique is not working. I made a quickbread yesterday. The recipe said to bake for 1 hour. Since the batter didn't fit into one loaf pan, I split it into 2. Figured it would take less time to bake so checked it at 45 minutes - toothpick came out clean. I took the loaf out but when I cut it in half, it was not done in the middle. It did take almost the full hour and is great. But I'm so confused as to how to test for doneness.

I made Chebe rolls the other night that were done on the outside and rubbery inside - same thing with the toothpick being clean.

Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I still use the toothpick method--I also look for the bread to stop adhering to the sides of the pan, and shrink inward a little bit.

Touch the top in the center--it should feel firm, not wet or leave a dent where you touched it. If it cracks (like many quick breads tend to do) make sure the batter inside the crack is dry to the touch.

Those are things off the top of my head.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I use the toothpick method and I haven't had a problem.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)