Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike44

Nausea?

Hi all,

Like I said I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease last tuesday so have been on the diet for 3 days. I still feel nauseous and was wondering when I should start to feel better?

Mike.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It depends on the damage, could be days, weeks or even up to months for the symptoms to go away, just be careful you're not eating anything that might be crosscontaminated.

Could you possibly have acid reflux? That often presents with nausea. Check with your doctor; a little Nexium can take care of it quickly. That was the case for me.

It depends on the damage, could be days, weeks or even up to months for the symptoms to go away, just be careful you're not eating anything that might be crosscontaminated.

Hi,

I don't believe cross-contamination is a problem. I cook my own food, and make up my own lunch to take to work. I feel fine all morning, then, as the afternoon goes on I just feel more and more nauseous. Thats been my pattern for the most part, but I just figured that when I started eliminating gluten from my diet I would immediately feel better. Guess it doesn't work like that.

Best,

Mike.

Mike,

When I get nauseated I take the less drowsy Dramamine and it seems to work very well for me. Sometimes if I have indigestion too, I will take Pepto Bismol, but I don't take that very much.

It will probably take longer then 3 days to feel better. I would at least give it a few months even. I felt better within a few days, but not perfect.

Also, reflux does seem to cause nausea in some people. Nexium could be an option.

Monica

It varies from person to person and depends also on the damage done to the intestines, I'd say in a few days you will feel much better, it took me about 5 days to get my appetite back, but the nausea was gone by the 3rd day.

You can't expect changes overnight...it takes time to get the damage and it takes time to heal. It took me like 8 months to really feel better but people vary depending how much damage there is to heal. Nausea was my main symptom so if you want you can PM me and I can give you the names of some of the things I used for nausea.

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

Hi Mike

I was diagnosed mid October so am over 7 weeks gluten-free now & feel great. My main symptoms apart from the exhaustion were sickness & diarrhoea with horrible nausea. On going gluten free, I felt really good for 2 or 3 days, but then the nausea came back & lasted for about a week. The great news is that it should go away & your appetite should come back too (if it hasn't already as your post was a few days back)

I also saw your post re sensitivity & that's one I'm really unsure about. Pre diagnosis I had such violent reactions to gluten for about 8 weeks, and in the first couple of weeks I definitely inadvertently had gluten with the same type of reactions, but for about 5 weeks now I have had no real reactions apart from some itching & in some cases the mouth ulcers again. I'm sure I have had some hidden gluten somewhere (I forgot & put malt vinegar on my chips for instance), but am pleasantly surprised that I've not had a horrible reaction. That said, i would like to know if I have had gluten in something so I could avoid it in the future.

Anyway, hope you continue to feel better

Kate

Nausea was my only symptom as well and I have been gluten-free for about 3 weeks now. I can go for 5 days feeling fine and then it hits me again. I've heard from all the nice people on this site that it is normal and it may just take a while to heal. You should check EVERYTHING and make sure their is no gluten in it. I just noticed last night that my shampoo had wheat in it and I have to now change that too! Hang in there...it will go away. Also, my Dr. has me taking promethazine it helps a bunch! Maybe that is something you could look into.

Gwen