Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gayle

Anyone Know A Good Doctorin So Cal?

Hi,

I believe that I have celiac disease or some type of problem with gluten. I have been reading some of the posts. I am wondering if it is necessary to even have a doctor to get diagnosed. From what I have read is it really possible to just get a stool sample done on your own without a doctor's order? When I lived in Chicago I went to the university of Chicago, they have a doctor who specializes in celiac disease and they have a program where every 6 months they do a free blood test one day for people who sign up. I did the blood test and it came back negative, and I thought that it might, because at that time I was really trying to stay off gluten. When I heard about the test I signed up and for about 6 weeks before the test I ate glutten but as I understand, you have to be eating glutten for at least 3 months before a blood test in order to get a positive result. I still seem to have problems with it and I thought that doing the stool test might be helpful. I would appreciate anyones comments on this. I would like to know if there is any particular advantage to going to a doctor or is it just as good to just get the stool test done. What good doctors are there in So. Cal? I do have an HMO, which I hate. So I suppose I would have to pay for it out of my own pocket. You know how they hate to give anyone a treatment that is not drugs and that really works.

Gayle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is no treatment for celiac disease other than modifying your diet. So no, you don't need a doctor to get treated. :) You can use Enterolab.com, many of us got diagnosed with gluten sensitivity (they don't diagnose celiac disease). Probably the best reason I can think of for having a diagnoses is to ensure that you take it seriously and follow the diet. I could see someone talking themself out of a self-diagnosis easier than one from a doctor.