This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How You Stay Healthy...

AmandaD

AmandaD Community Regular

Hi guys - I'm sitting here thinking today, like everyday, that I need to exercise, dump my coffee, get better sleep, etc.

As celiacs, what are some things that you guys to do try to keep yourselves "healthy"? I'm interested in incorporating some NEW things into my life.

Many thanks for your suggestions - A :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Don't touch your eyes and nose. It keeps most of the germs on your hands out of your body.

bluejeangirl Contributor

I try to get enough fiber just by eating the right foods. I can't bare to drink fiber drinks. So I usually have to have two fruits aday. I try to have salads for lunch. My serving of veg. for supper is usually two servings full plus a whole grain brown rice or millet bread/bun or potato.

I usually try to eat as close to natural state as possible. But then I spurge on weekends and make dessert so I don't feel deprived.

I take a multi vit. and a Calcium/mag. supplement. Sometimes additional zinc because I think I'm deficient in that one. Also Glutathione which is a great at delivery toxic junk out (giving your liver a break).

I only have wine one or two days a week. And chocolate about the same. I try and not to have sugar as much as possible.

Anyway this is what took about 30 years of living and learning since living on my own. So it took awhile to get here.

The best thing I did was to give up gluten. :P Never regretted it and I'll never go back.

Gail

jerseyangel Proficient
Don't touch your eyes and nose. It keeps most of the germs on your hands out of your body.

This and I wash my hands often--certainly whenever I come back in the house after being out in public.

I eat lots of fruits (the ones I can) and veggies, try to limit sugar as much as possible.

Viola 1 Rookie

My hubby and I are morning people, so we have a routine.

Get up around six, have coffee, leash the dog and go out for a good brisk walk every day of the year.

I also take vitamins, limit my wine to about 4 or 5 evenings a week :lol: just one glass. Try not to have chocolate in the house too often ... and it's miles to the nearest store so I can't give in to my chocoholic cravings.

Do a small amount of weight training ... like lifting water buckets etc. We have a small acreage so there's lots to do, now it's clearing snow.

Golf .. both hubby and I are on the board of directors in running our community golf club.

Train dogs, hang around with the kennel club, (I also am on the board and hold two chairs in the kennel club) and Trial in Obedience

I mention this stuff, because if you have lots to think about, you don't have too much time to think about which pain is where etc. I got much healthier when I joined both clubs because it keeps you moving whether you feel like it or not.

And for quiet time I quilt, read etc.

emcmaster Collaborator

I eat as many vegetables as I can each day. When I make recipes, I look for those that either have a large amount of veggies already called for in them, or ones that I can easily add veggies to. And then I double the veggies it calls for. I'm not a huge fruit fan, but I eat blueberries often and usually an apple or an orange (or sometimes both) each day.

I take a very good multi vitamin and drink a lot of water. I also get 8 hours almost every weeknight and a lot more on the weekends (I love to sleep).

I wash my hands all the time and never touch my face unless I know my hands haven't been glutened. I avoid eating things with my hands and use plastic utensils at friends houses and work.

I am running a half-marathon in April and have a couple running races and a duathlon before that. Training for races keeps me motivated and keeps my cardio endurance up.

Most important of all? Listen to your body. If you feel unreasonably tired or achy, skip a workout or sleep in. Try to avoid overeating but allow yourself treats when you want them, as long as they are reasonable. One of my new favorites is protein pudding: 1 pkg. sugar-free, fat-free chocolate fudge pudding, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 2 cups milk. Beat together, pour into individual serving dishes and put in the fridge. I have one most nights for dessert. That and a dove chocolate or two. :)

Susanna Newbie

;) I try to be healthy by

1. making good dietary choices (just because it's gluten-free doesn't mean it's necessarily good for me)

2. exercising at least 4X/week and ALWAYS taking the stairs at work, rather than the elevator

3. my DH and I sit and have a glass of red wine most evenings before bedtime. Studies have found that people who do this are healthier than those who don't. Red wine was listed in that Time Magazine article a while back as one of the top 10 superfoods (the others were: tomatoes, spinach, nuts, garlic, broccoli, green tea, blueberries, oats and salmon--notice no fats nor meats were mentioned) But I think the health benefit of our evening wine time ritual is just as much due to the fact that we're taking a break from our crazy day and slowing down, and focussing on each other.

4. I try to be a get enough sleep--research has found that chronic under-resting takes years off our lives.

5. I try to be a good self advocate--take breaks when I need them, say no to unreasonable requests that would over-work or exploit me, laugh any time I can, state my needs, be there for my friends and family. This is huge in my emotional health.

6. HYDRATE--there are 3-trillion cells in the human body. Every single one of them needs water, and won't function efficiently without it, so whether you're trying to heal, or lose weight, or run a marathon, or digest your food, or think a thought, you'll do it all better if you give your cells the water they need. Think of it as moisturizing from the inside out.

7. OXYGENATE--the 3-trillion cells also ALL need oxygen, so go for a walk at least, every day if you can. This will get you to breathe bigger breaths and better deliver oxygen to all your cells.

Here's to our health!

Susanna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Boy - You guys are terrific. I have really, really enjoyed reading all of your information. I'm actually taking notes - I figure that I don't know everything and I've still got a lot to learn about taking care of myself and my family.

More, more! Anyone else...please feel free. I love to hear the way you guys are putting your physical and emotional health in check.

jerseyangel Proficient

I forgot to list two other things that I do that I feel are important:

I open my windows as often as I can to let in fresh air (even if for only a few minutes, depending on the weather), and I try to get 8 hours of sleep each night. :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

The shift from being in front of the computer/tv to being outside doing something was key for me. It helped when I wasn't taking a two hour nap every afternoon, of course. ;) But it's a progressive transition.

Then trying to be cognizant and self-aware in what you do and eat, and make improvements. I think being self-aware, and not just functioning off of rote is important and makes change much easier.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I've done some reading of the benefits of certain foods and I "try" to eat these foods. While I was doing my Master's in Biology some of my friends were doing research on certain foods and their benefits such as reducing cancer cells and heart disease. From my knowlege ;) I've come to this conclusion to stay healthy:

I've decided that these foods are very important to have in your diet:

- Colourful fruits and vegetables. Particularly, broccoli, blueberries, cranberries, and spinach.

- Garlic

- Onions

- Lean meat such as fish, extra lean beef, chicken, game meat (if possible), and free range organic meat (if possible).

It would be a good idea to eat less of:

- Carbohydrates and starchy foods (rice, potatoes, corn)

- Fatty meats

- Sugar

- Salt

- Dairy products

And try to excersise at least several times a week.

par18 Apprentice

I try to get all of my vitamins from the foods I eat and also keep active. I think if I treat my body right and avoid gluten at all costs then I expect to be rewarded by feeling good. So far so this has worked perfectly.

Tom

Again - Many thanks...I'm still writing down your responses - these are great.

A

Creative-Soul Newbie

I drink lots of water; the only other things I drink are ginger-root and herb teas, lemonade with just lemon, no sweeteners(!) and occasionally 100% real friut juice...no high-fructose this or dye # that!!! :P Also whole fruit or vegetable juices thanks to my Vitamix!

I use a minimal amount of processed foods; some weeks I have none at all. My diet consists mainly of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and a little fish, occasionally chicken... I've recently started limiting / eliminating grains and legumes and find that I feel much better; very occasionally I may use some brown rice. I eat a good portion of my food raw; I also love to steam or do a light stir-fry.

No sugar. If I do need a sweetener for whatever reason - I almost never use anything - I use Stevia. I hardly, if ever, use salt.

I take a good Multivitamin, Omega 3 oil, Cal-Mag-D supplement, and recently added some Acidophilus and Probiotics to the mix, which I found has helped me greatly...I get the most regular and absolutely beautiful BM's I've ever had in my life! :lol:

I started doing yoga years ago to help my back (pain) and as a way of managing my high stress levels /depression, and have found that it (or any other form of exercise) helps to keep me calmer, centered and in a more positive frame of mind; it also facilitates deep breathing, which is great for your body in many ways. Learning to breathe correctly and fully (most people breathe in a very shallow manner) is essential for one's well-being...

I also constantly examine the people, situations, relationships in my life...is there anything not working / pulling me down? Do I need to make any changes? Anything - or anyone - toxic that I need to limit my exposure to or get rid of? Am I making proper use of my time? Your emotional and mental health have a tremendous bearing on your physical being - one is not separate from the other...

This is a great topic, AmandaD...thanks for bringing it up!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I agree!

Here are some links about some of the foods I've mentioned:

Blueberries:

Open Original Shared Link

Cranberries:

Garlic:

Broccoli:

Spinach:

Onions:

Viola 1 Rookie
I drink lots of water; the only other things I drink are ginger-root and herb teas, lemonade with just lemon, no sweeteners(!) and occasionally 100% real friut juice...no high-fructose this or dye # that!!! :P Also whole fruit or vegetable juices thanks to my Vitamix!

I use a minimal amount of processed foods; some weeks I have none at all. My diet consists mainly of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and a little fish, occasionally chicken... I've recently started limiting / eliminating grains and legumes and find that I feel much better; very occasionally I may use some brown rice. I eat a good portion of my food raw; I also love to steam or do a light stir-fry.

No sugar. If I do need a sweetener for whatever reason - I almost never use anything - I use Stevia. I hardly, if ever, use salt.

I take a good Multivitamin, Omega 3 oil, Cal-Mag-D supplement, and recently added some Acidophilus and Probiotics to the mix, which I found has helped me greatly...I get the most regular and absolutely beautiful BM's I've ever had in my life! :lol:

I started doing yoga years ago to help my back (pain) and as a way of managing my high stress levels /depression, and have found that it (or any other form of exercise) helps to keep me calmer, centered and in a more positive frame of mind; it also facilitates deep breathing, which is great for your body in many ways. Learning to breathe correctly and fully (most people breathe in a very shallow manner) is essential for one's well-being...

I also constantly examine the people, situations, relationships in my life...is there anything not working / pulling me down? Do I need to make any changes? Anything - or anyone - toxic that I need to limit my exposure to or get rid of? Am I making proper use of my time? Your emotional and mental health have a tremendous bearing on your physical being - one is not separate from the other...

Boy! This takes discipline! I'm too much of a sweet tooth and chocoholic to do this, but I admit it is a much healthier way to live. Good for you!

Gentleheart Enthusiast

All of these regimens sound great and well thought out. It sounds like you all are really working at it. Here's my question. So do you feel good on a daily basis? Do you feel you are reaping the benefits of your self discipline?

I do not feel good, pretty much all the time - it seems no matter what I try. I'm still searching.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I do not feel good, pretty much all the time - it seems no matter what I try. I'm still searching.
How long have you been on the gluten-free diet? I was pretty sick for about 6 months after I started the gluten-free diet. I started feeling normalish after 1 year on the diet, but that was after I realized I was eating chips contaminated with gluten.
Gentleheart Enthusiast
How long have you been on the gluten-free diet? I was pretty sick for about 6 months after I started the gluten-free diet. I started feeling normalish after 1 year on the diet, but that was after I realized I was eating chips contaminated with gluten.

It's been about 10 months for me. It's likely that I've had some accidental cross contamination along the way too. But I do try hard. I'm hoping I just need to be patient and wait.

Nancym Enthusiast

Well, I have had to battle a few autoimmune diseases so staying healthy is near and dear to my heart. First I make sure I get enough Vit. D. Low levels of D3 seems to be implicated in a LOT of illness, from flu to cancer and heart disease. This site has a lot of info: Open Original Shared Link. Right now I'm taking 4000 iu of oily D3 and intend to get a blood test soon to check my levels. I also take Fish oil capsules to help with my inflammatory issues from my autoimmune disease at 5g a day. And I take extra B vitamins, which seems to have helped my brain functioning and some issues with neuropathy. I also make kefir, which is a wonderful probiotic drink that helps out my gut immensely.

I've had really good results on my Paleo diet. My autoimmune arthritis is a whisper compared to what it once was and I feel like I found the missing half of my brain. :) I haven't had a cold in a long, long time and I don't feel fatigued like I used to feel.

The only thing plaguing me right now is my nose. It gets stuffy when I lie down at night. But I suspect I've still got something in my diet causing problems. *sigh*

Life is good!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
t's been about 10 months for me. It's likely that I've had some accidental cross contamination along the way too. But I do try hard. I'm hoping I just need to be patient and wait.
That is a long time on the diet and it is possible that you need more time. Have you been tested for food allergies? You may have an intolerance or an allergy to something that is preventing you from feeling well.
Creative-Soul Newbie
Boy! This takes discipline! I'm too much of a sweet tooth and chocoholic to do this, but I admit it is a much healthier way to live. Good for you!

Thank you, but I don't really think of it as disciplined! I used to have a raging sweet tooth as well as being the biggest chocoholic out there :lol: , but things aren't that hard to give up when you listen to your body and realise just how darned much you suffer for eating them! And after a brief time off of sugar etc - and getting your nutrition more into balance - you really lose the craving for (artificial) sweets AND, I found, for salty treats as well! When I do want sweet, a few raisins, one or two dates or figs is quite enough for me - I'm satiated!

All of these regimens sound great and well thought out. It sounds like you all are really working at it. Here's my question. So do you feel good on a daily basis? Do you feel you are reaping the benefits of your self discipline?

I've been pretty much into nutrition for the past 10 years since becoming vegetarian - I can talk about that for hours and try not to get into a lot of detail here ^_^ ... my regimen has naturally evolved, I guess, as I keep evaluating my progress. For example, a few months ago I realised I still was feeling pretty blah, so I took the upteenth look at my diet and realised that potatoes and eggs had to go. Then it hit me that I absolutely had to banish soy as well, and add probiotics etc... It's mainly being aware of your own body's needs and being willing to do what it takes to feel better...

I feel times better now than I did even two months ago, so it's still working for me! If you don't mind me asking, what have you been doing / trying? And remember...everyone is different and we all have our particular conditions that we have to overcome. Keep at it...keep investigating, and give it time...I hope you find your answers and feel better soon!

Gentleheart Enthusiast
Thank you, but I don't really think of it as disciplined! I used to have a raging sweet tooth as well as being the biggest chocoholic out there :lol: , but things aren't that hard to give up when you listen to your body and realise just how darned much you suffer for eating them! And after a brief time off of sugar etc - and getting your nutrition more into balance - you really lose the craving for (artificial) sweets AND, I found, for salty treats as well! When I do want sweet, a few raisins, one or two dates or figs is quite enough for me - I'm satiated!

I've been pretty much into nutrition for the past 10 years since becoming vegetarian - I can talk about that for hours and try not to get into a lot of detail here ^_^ ... my regimen has naturally evolved, I guess, as I keep evaluating my progress. For example, a few months ago I realised I still was feeling pretty blah, so I took the upteenth look at my diet and realised that potatoes and eggs had to go. Then it hit me that I absolutely had to banish soy as well, and add probiotics etc... It's mainly being aware of your own body's needs and being willing to do what it takes to feel better...

I feel times better now than I did even two months ago, so it's still working for me! If you don't mind me asking, what have you been doing / trying? And remember...everyone is different and we all have our particular conditions that we have to overcome. Keep at it...keep investigating, and give it time...I hope you find your answers and feel better soon!

I've had a lot of allergy tests and figured I knew everything else I was allergic to besides gluten. And I've faithfully avoided all of it. But you are right, I'm missing something. It just has to be. Thanks.

Adelle Enthusiast

I just listen to my body. I find that I personally feel better when I eat a small of carbs (gluten-free banana bread lately), and protien at every meal. I dunno why, vegis (I especialy like asparagus, broccoli, and brussel sprouts) and meat are kinda my ideal diet. I have some super-dark chocolate (a piece/day or so). Super good multi-vits and a b complex. I also excercise when I can, but I don't stress about that. Cause when I push myself I tend to be laid up for days afterward with severe muscle/joint pain. I'm still healing. I take it slow and do what I can on any individual day. I also make time to relax every day. Like other's said, say no when you need to!! I watch my guinea pigs play. They make me laugh.

I think the main thing is to try a little of everything till you find what works for you. If YOU feel better doing or NOT doing something specific, go with that!

Good luck!

Hi guys - These are all really interesting responses...

I've noticed yoga has been a huge deal for me - I noticed another individual out there talked about it...between that and lots of water it's been a good year and a half on the diet and I'm pretty stunned at how much better my immune system is now. I'm not sick as much as I used to be - when I had active Celiac stuff going on I got sick alot...

It's taken me almost 2 years on this diet to really feel better...can you believe it???

Archived