This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheesecake?

Adelle

Adelle Enthusiast

Any fairly cheap cheesecake recipes out there? I have a friend comming over and I wanna make a dessert! Yay thanx!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Find an easy recipe (I use kraft's website, or better homes and gardens), and instead of a graham cracker crust, either make it crustless, or use crushed up gluten-free ginger snaps or another gluten-free cookie as the "base" instead of graham cracker crumbs.

Lauren M Explorer

Kraft now makes a ready-made cheesecake filling. I eat it crustless, but I suppose you could crush up some shortbread cookies or whatever to form a crust and then just pour the topping on. You could even get creative and add some type of fruit topping.

- Lauren

hangininthere Apprentice

Here's a delicious. inexpensive, and easy cheesecake recipe.

Classic Philadelphia Cheesecake

Makes two cheesecakes.

Filling:

4 packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature

1 cup granulated sugar

4 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.

Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition, just until blended.

Pour over crust in two pie pans.

Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes.

Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Store in refrigerator.

Crumble Crust:

Makes one bottom crust.

1/2 cup rice flour (or crunched up cereal or cookies, whatever you want)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup butter

For the crust I just mix rice flour with sugar and butter and press it with my hands into pie pan as thin a layer as I can get. It doesn't matter if you can manage to get the crust mix pressed all the way up the sides of pie pans, it bakes well and serves well anyway and tastes great.

I don't measure the flour, sugar, and butter. I just throw them together like I do an apple crisp crumble topping.

You want the crust mix to be very dry and crumbly (not pastry-like moist as in regular pie crust), it sticks nicely to the bottom of the cheesecake when you cut and serve it, and is delicious.

Yes, you can use anything for the crumble crust, such as crunched up cereal or cookies or anything you want, just mix it in with the butter, and sugar if needed (crumbled up sweet cookies you wouldn't need to add sugar, just the butter).

Best wishes to all!

larry mac Enthusiast
..... you can use anything for the crumble crust, such as crunched up cereal or cookies or anything you want, just mix it in with the butter.....

Best wishes to all!

Hey hit,

Thanks for the great idea. I was wondering what I was going to try for crust when I make my first gluten-free version of an old fav of mine; Aunt Geraldine's Buttermilk Pie.

I have some cereal; Barbara's Bakery - Puffins Honey Rice. It's not bad, but surprisingly, I like it better as a snack than with milk. Anyway, it's really crispy, and may make a good crust.

best regards, lm

tarnalberry Community Regular

Pamela's cookies make good crumb crusts.

Bri's mom Apprentice
Hey hit,

Thanks for the great idea. I was wondering what I was going to try for crust when I make my first gluten-free version of an old fav of mine; Aunt Geraldine's Buttermilk Pie.

I have some cereal; Barbara's Bakery - Puffins Honey Rice. It's not bad, but surprisingly, I like it better as a snack than with milk. Anyway, it's really crispy, and may make a good crust.

best regards, lm

Could you share your recipe for Aunt Geraldine's Buttermilk Pie? I heard it mentioned on the Nancy Grace show this afternoon.

Thanks,

Bris Mom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hangininthere Apprentice

I used Kix cereal for my crumble crust last cheesecakes I made, along with the sugar and butter, turned out great. Except I'm not wild about the taste of Kix, tired of it, so the crust did taste like Kix, gonna use rice flour again next time, ha. Made a great crumble crust though, son loved it, he's not tired of the Kix, ha.

And here's a great crust recipe I use for pumpkin pie (only good for a bottom crust, since you press it into pie pan as with the crumble crusts), is the closest tasting thing I've found to a regular crust, tastes great to us, works very well and the pumpkin pies I make all the time turn out great.

Don't know if this recipe below would work for fruit pies that are baked for less time than pumpkin pie, so far I would say use this just for long-cooking pies like pumpkin pie, but you could try it for the bottom crust of fruit pie if you want, but you'd have to make a crumble crust for the top of fruit pie as far as I know, sprinkling a crumble crust on top of fruit pie (maybe you'd have to precook this bottom crust recipe below about 10 minutes for a fruit pie, before adding the fruit, not sure, haven't tried it yet on a fruit pie):

Pie Crust

Makes one bottom crust.

1 1/2 cups rice flour (I use brown rice flour myself)

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use corn oil)

2 tablespoons cold milk

1 1/2 teaspoon sugar

Mix all ingredients together well.

Press into pie pan, as thin a layer as you can get it. Don't worry if you can't get it all the way up the side of pie pan, bakes up and serves great either way.

I found the recipe in my folder for the crumble crust measurements just now:

Crumble Crust

1/2 cup rice flour (or crushed cereal or cookies)

1/2 cup sugar (I switched to raw sugar recently)

1/3 cup butter

Press into pie pan as thin a layer as you can get.

You want the mixture to be light and crumbly, not smooth and pasty like a regular pie crust.

LarryMac, I just discovered a good easy recipe for bread (made in individual servings like hamburger buns, the bun cut in half is just like two pieces of bread, great for sandwiches). I'll post it on a separate topic post soon, you won't believe it, no xanthan gum or guar gum or nothing, amazing).

Best wishes to all!

Archived