This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I've Got A Rotten Cold

BamBam

BamBam Community Regular

I have a rotten cold/achy body and the whole nine yards. I've been taking some Sudafed for colds

but is there anything better? I have a super walmart in my town, I was wondering about Halls' cough drops, cause my throat is just horrible.

Thanks for your help

BamBam

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Neither Sudafed nor Halls cough drops will really help get rid of the cold, they just mask symptoms.

Here are some suggestions to boost your immune system and speed up healing:

Drink Echinacea tea, take lots of vitamin C, up your vitamin A and E, get Zinc lozenges (you can get them with vitamin C and Echinacea even, and in different flavours), they'll not only soothe your throat, but aid in healing, drink hot lemonade with honey. DON'T drink juice, it is too high in sugar and will depress your immune system even further. Drink lots of water, get rest (our bodies heal best when resting). Eat raw garlic (or take garlic pills), it's a natural antibiotic/antiviral.

I hope you will feel better soon.

elonwy Enthusiast

If you need a cough drop to get you through, as I just did with a cold I had as I couldn't even swallow my own spit and just needed to be comfortable enough to stop crying, Robitussin Honey cough and the Honey centers ones are gluten-free. As far as my lists go, Halls is only gluten-free in sugarless, which I can't stand, as artificial sweetners make me ill.

Ricola is not gluten-free at all, BTW. I have no info on anyone else.

Elonwy

Viola 1 Rookie

If you are in Canada, all Neo Citron drinks are gluten free.

loraleena Contributor

Cold-EEze with zinc kicks my cold in the ass every time.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Ughhh, I had that 2 weeks ago. Actually I had a stomach virus that then turned into a nasty cold. Sucks!

I just took Tylenol Cold, Tylenol Flu and Robitussin. I had some vitmain C cough drops but I don't remember what brand it was.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Cough drops won't hurt you, as long as they are gluten-free and don't have any ingredients that you are sensitive to.

But the best treatment is to DRINK lots of nice, hot, throat-soothing things, like chicken broth, herbal teas (licorice tea and "Throat Coat" tea are WONDERFUL for fixing that awful throat), hot ginger tea with honey, hot any kind of tea with hooney and a squeeze of fresh lemon.

Drink, drink, drink--and then you will pee all those awful germs down the toilet and be done with them.

(Don't forget to flush.) :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie
Cough drops won't hurt you, as long as they are gluten-free and don't have any ingredients that you are sensitive to.

But the best treatment is to DRINK lots of nice, hot, throat-soothing things, like chicken broth, herbal teas (licorice tea and "Throat Coat" tea are WONDERFUL for fixing that awful throat), hot ginger tea with honey, hot any kind of tea with hooney and a squeeze of fresh lemon.

Drink, drink, drink--and then you will pee all those awful germs down the toilet and be done with them.

(Don't forget to flush.) :lol:

It's so hard to find licorice that is gluten free ... I'm surprised there is a licorice tea that is :o

But yes ... got to flush all those germs down :lol:

Nantzie Collaborator

I use Zicam Gel Swabs. You put it on the inside of your nose. It sounds gross, but it totally works. They say that the cold virus first gets into your body through the nose.

There have even been a couple of times when I had a scratchy throat, or getting a cough and used the nasal swabs, thinking it probably wouldn't work, and it worked.

Nancy

Jo.R Contributor

I just called the vics company about their cold meds and was told all their products were gluten free.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
It's so hard to find licorice that is gluten free ... I'm surprised there is a licorice tea that is :o

But yes ... got to flush all those germs down :lol:

I think the teas use licorice root, not licorice candy (which has the wheat starch added). At least, there is no gluten listed in the ingredients!

Archived