Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vampella

Lets Talk Tests.

Talk to me about the IGA test. I reguested this from our doctor on Emmah but not until after she was gluten-free. Does this test also have to be done when eatting gluten?

Sorry for the the questions

TIA

Char

Char

Emmah 4 years- Celiac , gluten-free October 2006

Leigh-Ann 7 Years- Gluten lite

Gary- possible celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Char:

The blood test are not one of my most informed areas...

But, I guess that would depend on how long Emma has been gluten free. My blood tests were negative after I was gluten free for two months. I did have a positive biopsy when i was dx'd.

If Emma is improving on the diet, you may want to consider not testing (mine cost $1,500) it is quite costly. The bottom line here is that if she is improving and continuing to thrive, your questions have been answered. But that is ALWAYS a parental choice.

Her picture is very sweet.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

what IgA test did you request? total Iga serum, Ttg Iga, AGA IGA?

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Chrissy, I'm not sure. I just told the Dr I want her IGA levels done because I heard something about and IGA diffeciency causing negs on the TTG.

Char

Gary- possible celiac

I just posted this link on another topic - http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/diag-tst.html . It explains pretty thoroughly what the different tests are, how they interact with each other, and how accurate they are. It also talks about how much gluten and for how long you should be eating it before taking the tests. After reading it, you may or may not want to have the tests done.

I know lots of people on this board were using Enterolab which supposedly doesn't need you to be as recently challenged with gluten and also doesn't require blood. You can read up more about them, too, at their website www.enterolab.com. I was thinking of going through them to get the gene test done on my daughter.

If anything would be positive, I think it would be the tTG or the EMA. According to DR. Peter Green's book, these two are the last two to go negative. My son's tTG was still positive after being gluten free for 3 months. Our doctor, Dr. Guandalini at The University of Chicago Celiac Center, said that the tTG's half themselves every two months. So if you start at 50, at 2 months out it's 25, at 4months around 12....and so on. Do check for an IGA deficiency you need to run a total IGA, I think. I would highly recommend Dr. Green's Book. It's all based on actual proven data. You have to be careful on some of those websites. Anyone can start a blog and it's nice to make sure you're dealing with a medical professional. Not to say there isn't a lot of great info out there, but some of it is just opinion, again which is good too. Good luck!

If you are talking about being IgA deficient, the correct test is the total serum IgA. This is not affected by gluten, whereas the other IgA's are.

(I am IgA deficient)

If you are having the other tests done, there are two outcomes:

if she is positive, she definitely has it.

if she is negative, it doesn't mean she doesn't have it, given that she is gluten free.

(Rez, have to agree with you whole heartedly about Dr. Green's book!!!!!!!)

What the name of DR. Peter Green's book, I will call chapters tomorrow and order it.

Char

Gary- possible celiac

It's called Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic, By Dr. Peter Green. It's hands down the BEST book on the market. It's all fact and very informative. I have read several and thought many were excellent, but as far as accurate, medical information, this is it! I love some of the others for an empathetic feel good read, but when I need the facts, this is where I dig! :)

Thanks Rez & Happy, I ordered the book today and it's already been shipped.

Char

Gary- possible celiac

Good for you, let me know what you think! Have a great night!

Hope you enjoy!

*just a note, this book deals almost exclusively with Celiac, not non-Celiac gluten intolerance. However, many of the chapters would still be applicable (eating gluten-free, dealing with the gluten-free lifestyle, etc).

Ladies, does this book provide information on Dermatitus Herpetiformus? If so, I will endeavour to track it down as I'm in Australia.

Yes. There is a whole chapter on DH.