This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Not Really Sure...

Christy-Latchford

Christy-Latchford Rookie

Hi again,

I just have a quick question....I have a lot of the main symptoms of Celiacs, and am currently awaiting the test results to confirm for sure, but I was wondering...one of the things I read over and over is the weight loss....but I have the opposite problem, I have had unexplianed weigh gain in the past year or so. Is this normal???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
Hi again,

I just have a quick question....I have a lot of the main symptoms of Celiacs, and am currently awaiting the test results to confirm for sure, but I was wondering...one of the things I read over and over is the weight loss....but I have the opposite problem, I have had unexplianed weigh gain in the past year or so. Is this normal???

Its certainly not unusual...

While you are waiting for test results say what tests you had, if you didn't have a biopsy you might want to consider one because once you go gluten-free you would have to go back on gluten for a long time in order to have on.... the value of the biopsy is questionable but the sure thing is the time to have one if you decide is before you go gluten-free.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Christy,

No it isn't unusual at all.

From personal experience I can tell you that although I had symptoms for over 20 years, I was 10-20 pounds overweight for most of that time. It was only in the 6-9 months before I was finally diagnosed (and very ill) that I began to lose weight.

Dr. Peter Green states in his book--"Celiac Disease, A Hidden Epidemic" that in a study done by the Mayo Clinic in 2003, approximately 20% of patients diagnosed with Celiac were overweight--many were obese.

It goes on to say that people can have Celiac disease damage in the upper part of the intestine, leaving many feet of intestine to absorb fats and sugars. The body can be quite efficient that way.

It's a myth that the average Celiac patient is a malnourished, sickly, underweight child.

Good luck with your test--keep us posted! :)

Ursa Major Collaborator

Christy, I am another celiac who was having unexplained weight gain. No matter what I tried or how little I ate, I'd gain. In fact, it seemed the less I ate, the more I gained. My naturopathic doctor told me that weight gain can be a symptom of malnourishment! Most doctors don't seem to know that.

If you've had all the tests already (including biopsy, if you choose to have one), there is no good reason any more for you to keep eating gluten. What happens when you eliminate gluten is the only really valuable test as far as I am concerned (and I am by far not the only one who thinks this way).

jerseyangel Proficient

I just wanted to add that the one time I was successful in losing weight was when a friend and I did the Atkins diet several years ago.

Of course, I didn't realize then that it was probably because I was not eating many carbs, thus not much gluten.

I also felt better, and the weight was coming off in the right places......

Christy-Latchford Rookie

Well it certainly is nice to know that there are others in my boat....It has been so frusterating for so long, I have tried everything, everything but a gluten free diet that is. I am planning on trying to go gluten free, I am just being a little resistant, I am scared is more like it...I think it will be so hard...what do I do for meals and stuff, for my gluten husband...???

ItchyAmber Newbie

Just wanted to say, I just read your post, and I am just now trying the gluten free diet too. I am with you, Im scared of changing my life that much! I know I have to do it. I am 29 and have been suffering with chronic "IBS" and itching to the bone for many years.

I hope your tests come back in your favor, as I am waiting for mine as well. Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Meals are actually pretty easy with Celiac. Just stick to meats, veggies, and potatoes to start out. McCormick spices will list gluten if it contains any, so season away. Plain butter is almost always, if not always, gluten free (Land O' Lakes is safe). Just remember to ALWAYS read labels. Even if you've bought something 100 times before and it was always gluten free before, that doesn't mean that it will be the next time you buy it.

Meal Ideas that you and your hubby can enjoy:

Chicken pan fried with olive oil and garlic with veggies (snow peas, green and red peppers, broccoli) served over brown rice

Steak grilled and seasoned with black pepper and garlic, baked potato, and veggie of choice

Pork in brown sugar with green apple slices, homemade mashed sweet or regular potato, veggie of choice

Chicken in classico red sauce, potato, veggie

There's no need to cook a separate meal for your husband. You will both learn to love your new gluten free creations.

Kalynn Newbie

After suffering a couple of "anorexic" type bouts, I suddenly began gaining weight and could do nothing to get it off. Then, all of the sudden - bam - I got sick and not matter what or how much I ate, I couldn't stop losing weight. It got really scary. I actually happened upon this site searching for "inability to gain weight". I have been gluten free for about a year and a half (self diagnosed, negative blood tests) and am at my ideal weight. It took a good 6 months to a year to get there, weight wise, but it happened. I have actully read a lot on this board about celiacs having problems with being overweight as well as underweight. Hope this helps.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
Hi again,

I'm also an overweight presenter. I am a very active person, I used to work as a sea kayak guide, and I'd be paddling 7 days a week, climbing with my now-wife, and running. Still I'd gain weight.

My wife is tiny, about 95 lbs, and I'm 275-ish. (I've always been big, I have big shoulders and a "football" player bodytype). She constantly comment that I didn't seem to eat that much more than her, and still I'm gaining weight. I kept a food diary for awhile, and showed it to a nutritionist friend, and they commented that it didn't seem possible.

I've only been gluten-free for about 6 weeks, I've lost a few pounds, but not many. I do seem to be building muscle, and my body is definately changing. I'd like to get down to about 225 lbs. Last time I was at that weight I was pretty proud to walk on the beach shirtless! =>

Geoff

Guest laydirain

Hey -

When i was trying to figure out if i had celiac, that weight loss was the only symptom i did not have. I had gained weight over the 18 months before diagnosis. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism which adds to the weight gain. I keep saying i felt like i had all these toxins floating around in my body...My tests for celiac (taken about a month after I went 99% gluten-free) were negative. Read up on the testing b/c there is a lot of false positive/negatives...

hope that helps

Christy-Latchford Rookie

Me again...

Thank you all so much...it is so nice to have so much support...My husband and my family try to be understanding, but none of them really know that much about it, so I think it sounds a lot more simple then it really is to them...Your meal suggestions and ideas are great!!! Like I said before it is certainly nice to know others are in the same boat as me with the weight gain, I think other than the constant, frequent bouts of cramps and bathroom living the weight gain has been one of the most frusterating parts of all of this....again thank you all so much!!

Christy

Adelle Enthusiast

You aren't alone! My first symptoms were extreme fatigue and weight gain. I was a competitive swimmer, then, I was sleeping 12-15 hours a day and I gained 60lbs in 1 year. In the 5ish years after that (just b4 I went gluten-free) I gained 25 more lb's and was eating hardly anything (typical day was 2 slices of bread OR a "top ramen" noodles and around 1/2 cup of whatever vegi looked least threatening). Since going gluten-free (6 months ago) I've lost around 15 lb's. But I'm actually eating real meals. Even junk food! Usually steamed vegis, tons of meat, and very few carbs. I find that this works best for MY body. My husband eats slightly more carbs than me and has lost like 25-30lbs. I'm green with envy! Ha ha.

Just know ur not alone, and welcome!

Archived