This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breathing Difficulties

Noel1965

Noel1965 Apprentice

Does anyone have their breathing change after they eat - mine gets much shallower and rapid. My doctor has told me it is because I smoke.....granted, I should quit smoking but if this is the case I have gotten very out of shape in just one year - doesn't seem right to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Hmm, are you maybe still getting bloated when you eat? Or do you eat a lot at one time? Try to figure out if it's mechanical (your stomach gets big and interferes with your lung space) or a reaction.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I got glutened yesterday, and today I am wheezing. I had no asthma symptoms for a long time, and wasn't exposed to mold, cigarette smoke or animals, which usually make me wheeze. It had to be the gluten.

cmom Contributor

I've also noticed that after a little exertion, I am out of breath. One day my son asked me why I was out of breath after carrying in the groceries. I don't know if I'm that out of shape or something else is going on. I do go to a personal trainer once a week and don't really notice it there, though. <_<

CMCM Rising Star

I spent over 20 years with asthma symptoms, yet extensive asthma testing results were always that I didn't have asthma. I had difficulty breathing...I often felt like I might feel if someone were sitting on my chest. I had a dry cough which never went away. I wheezed. Occasonally I was symptom free for short periods of time, but sometimes it would just re-appear and then plague me for months on end. When I went gluten free, all this went away. When I would eat gluten, it would come back.

I have never been a smoker, but it's obvious to me that gluten caused my asthma-like symptoms.l

Noel1965 Apprentice

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. My gut tells me that it is related to eating and not smoking and it is hard when a doctor doesn't really listen. (I am going to attempt to quit smoking anyway). You have all validated my thoughts so I thank you so much......Noel

Kim ballard Newbie
Does anyone have their breathing change after they eat - mine gets much shallower and rapid. My doctor has told me it is because I smoke.....granted, I should quit smoking but if this is the case I have gotten very out of shape in just one year - doesn't seem right to me.

Hi Noel, I always know if I have been glutend, because i get very bloated and breathless, I think that it is in my case caused by the bloating. I go to the gym three times a week for a good cardio workout, but when I have this bloating it makes it very hard to get my breathing on track, and when I go to do my sit ups as soon as I bring my head up to my knees I find it very hard to breath. When I am feeling normal without bloating my breathing is OK and I can do all my exercises with no problems. Curious to know if anyone else has this problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim ballard Newbie
Hi Noel, I always know if I have been glutend, because i get very bloated and breathless, I think that it is in my case caused by the bloating. I go to the gym three times a week for a good cardio workout, but when I have this bloating it makes it very hard to get my breathing on track, and when I go to do my sit ups as soon as I bring my head up to my knees I find it very hard to breath. When I am feeling normal without bloating my breathing is OK and I can do all my exercises with no problems. Curious to know if anyone else has this problem.

Sorry should have added been a smoker for 42+ years, now given up 4 years best thing I ever did squash player 25 years runner, going to the gym 15 years. I never had any problems before coeliac symptoms, I have been diagnosed two years now by biopsy. I still go to the gym symptoms or not, just breath a lot harder, but won't give up, "Big high from the UK".

Archived