This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ipod Mini Not Holding Charge Anymore...

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

After 2 years my iPod's not holding a charge at all anymore. :(

Is this about right for the lifespan of the battery?? :unsure:

Can another battery be purchased? Does it have to be sent to Apple for repair or do iPods just have short lives and its time for a new one?? <_<

What should I do??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Get a good sound dock LOL I don't know mine stopped holding a charge after less than a year. I think there was a law suit about the defective batteries and for a time they were replacing them for free. I don't think they are anymore though :(

The screen on mine cracked after a few weeks of owning it and when I took it into the Apple store to get it fixed, they basically told me too bad, you can buy a new ipod or just deal with the broken screen <_<

I listen to mine when it's in the sound dock or when it's plugged in (I know..what's the point). I also bought one of those portable battery packs that you can attach to it. That kind of works...

Felidae Enthusiast

I would contact Apple and see if they can help you out in any way. The battery should last longer than two years!

Michi8 Contributor
After 2 years my iPod's not holding a charge at all anymore. :(

Is this about right for the lifespan of the battery?? :unsure:

Can another battery be purchased? Does it have to be sent to Apple for repair or do iPods just have short lives and its time for a new one?? <_<

What should I do??

I would search the Open Original Shared Link and on Open Original Shared Link for others' experiences. Perhaps there is a precident for this particular issue where Apple will help out...or perhaps others may have info on after market products that work for replacing the battery.

Michelle

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks guys,

It sucks but actually I just realized that my iPod is 3 years old....I've used it nearly everyday so maybe I should consider myself lucky....especially after reading Mango's post! :blink:

Michelle...I'll check that link you provided. I'm sort of thinking getting a new battery wont be cheap...maybe I might as well get an iPod Nano?? They're even smaller than the mini and some have more memory.

Mango...I have a dock at home and I have a Monster cord thingy in my car so I can always listen to it that way. I used to listen to it at work every morning....cant really do that now since it dies after like half of a song. :angry:

I'm gonna have to go back to my DiscMan.....which seems totally huge to me now. :blink:

dlp252 Apprentice
Michelle...I'll check that link you provided. I'm sort of thinking getting a new battery wont be cheap...maybe I might as well get an iPod Nano?? They're even smaller than the mini and some have more memory.

I LOVE my Nano. :P

RiceGuy Collaborator

I've never looked at those things, but apparently they don't have an ordinary replaceable battery? That stinks!

Anyway, I'm sure I could replace the battery. You'd be surprised what's possible when you have experience with such things :) If they put it together, then it comes apart too. Most times the manufacturer doesn't design a totally new battery, because that would cost money. So they use something already available. Even if my sources don't have the exact one, something similar can almost always be used in its place.

If you want to PM me with closeup pix of the unit, and/or the battery it uses, I can do some checking for you. Unless of course you've already gotten your heart set on a new model.

(I think may have made custom modifications to just about every piece of electronics I own) And no, I never buy or use a warranty on anything ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I'm gonna have to go back to my DiscMan.....which seems totally huge to me now. :blink:

I know, the DiscMan is just so.....Amish now, isn't it? :lol:

I just received a Nano as a gift, about 3 weeks ago, and am obsessed with it. Holds 1,000 songs. Seems to me I do remember hearing, though, that Apple was a little bit evil about the dying batteries of the Ipods, and not replacing......harrumph! :angry: Good luck, Rach, and maybe Rice Guy can fix it for you. Or else just bite the bullet and get a Nano.....

simplicity66 Explorer

Totally drain your battery...throw the battery in the freezer for a day or two...i did this with my cordless phone and it holds a charge better now then when it was new...the way i looked at it...the battery is useless what hard could be done

RiceGuy Collaborator
Totally drain your battery...throw the battery in the freezer for a day or two...i did this with my cordless phone and it holds a charge better now then when it was new...the way i looked at it...the battery is useless what hard could be done

That can work for some types of batteries, but not all. Fortunately, todays portable stuff don't usually use lead-acid anymore, because draining those kills them pretty quick.

Generic Apprentice

Hey Rachel, you can have your battery replaced. I just had mine replaced along with the logic board. I got mine done by Ipod resque. For the do it yourself kit it is about $25 to replace the battery. It will be a better battery also. Here is the website.

Open Original Shared Link

BTW they also make a monster type device that also has a charger built into in now. I originally had a monster also, but my sister was kind enough to lose it for me. Spendy little things, sad part is the new combo was cheaper! I can't think of the brand name off hand though.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Hey Rachel, you can have your battery replaced. I just had mine replaced...

There you go! It figures there would be places offering to do it, and of course they don't use the original battery either, as those it would seem are garbage.

Thanks Laurie.

Generic Apprentice

Yup, no problem. One of the "genius's" from the apple store told me about it.

Archived