Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confused

Sle

Does anyone have this? If so how were u tested? I am thinking maybe this is wht my step-son has besides celiac. I was reading Dr greens book, and it had a small part about sle, and i thnk it fits his symptoms much more then celiac. And when i was researching his high IgG scores, i remember it came back with lupus, but i keep telling myself, no its not that, its celiac. But now my gut is telling me SLE and im freakin out, So any help would be appreciated.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There's a boat-load of blood tests that they do. And there are different types of SLE. Before you start stressing about it, get him tested.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

There's a boat-load of blood tests that they do. And there are different types of SLE. Before you start stressing about it, get him tested.

I didnt know there were different types of sle. I just found an lupus forum, im hoping i can find some information on that.

Im trying not to stress, but it is so hard, when u know soemthing is wrong and u just cant found any definite answers, it gets so stressing. And especually when u have doctors that tell u that some of the things are all in his head. So i try to do as much research as i can before i even talk to the dr.

thanks for u info

paula

The first test is an ANA ( anti nuclear antigen), if positve it does not necessarliy mean lupus, but they would do this test first. The more definitve testing involves an ENA profile which is usually ordered after consult with a rheumatologist.

ENA - Extractable Nuclear antigens.

Lupus is know as the "great imitator" - many of the symtoms of Lupus are similar to other diseases. Sjogren's for example can present with symtoms similar to Lupus.

You need to mention your concerns to the doctor, they may begin with tests like - CBC ( complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), ANA, urinalysis, before they order complex testing.

The symptoms of celiac can look like many things, I am not familiar with lyme disease, but many members of this board are - and I think those symptom can look like Lupus...

So as you can see - it is not as simple as it seems. We are currently waiting for test results from an ENA profile on our daughter - it seems to take forever as the blood was taken Feb 16.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Perhaps this will help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemic_lupus_erythematosus

Personally, I think the range of symptoms from Celiac is practically unbound.

thanks rice, maybe i will just sit back and wait and see what the ped gastro dr has to say next month, then if he dont give me asnwers see the dr here about lupus.

paula

The first test is an ANA ( anti nuclear antigen), if positve it does not necessarliy mean lupus, but they would do this test first. The more definitve testing involves an ENA profile which is usually ordered after consult with a rheumatologist.

ENA - Extractable Nuclear antigens.

Lupus is know as the "great imitator" - many of the symtoms of Lupus are similar to other diseases. Sjogren's for example can present with symtoms similar to Lupus.

You need to mention your concerns to the doctor, they may begin with tests like - CBC ( complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), ANA, urinalysis, before they order complex testing.

The symptoms of celiac can look like many things, I am not familiar with lyme disease, but many members of this board are - and I think those symptom can look like Lupus...

So as you can see - it is not as simple as it seems. We are currently waiting for test results from an ENA profile on our daughter - it seems to take forever as the blood was taken Feb 16.

Sandy

thanks sandy, i think they need to invent test that only test for one thing, like one siomple test for celiac, that says yes or no, one for lupus, life would be easier, and then maybe we would get answers so much faster. I think it would make life easier. I think the not knowing is the hardest part with any illness. I hope u get ut resutls for your dtr soon.

I do know his cbc count was normal (i think)

i think i need to go get all of his medical test that they have done in 2 yrs, and look them over.

paula