Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farrbody

Positive Blood Test

I was diagnosed with Celiac via blood test. My doctor tells me the biospy is up to me. The 3 antibodies were at high level and I have a family history. He doesn't feel the biopsy is necessary. Everything I've read this week-end pretty much advice otherwise.

Can someone help me with some advice here? I don't particularly want to have the biopsy if it really isn't necessary.

THanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!

A positive biopsy can confirm the diagnosis, but a negative one cannot rule it out. It's up to you whether you are comfortable with being diagnosed with a blood test and dietary response. Personally, I think dietary response is the most important thing.

I did have the biopsy, it was negative as was the blood work, I still eat gluten-free and feel better for it. Even small amounts of gluten make me sick. The testing methods aren't perfect.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Farrbody:

The biopsy is considered the "gold standard." If really is a personal decision, and it sounds like you have it (positive blood test + family history). If you want the possibility of being 100% sure and never being questioned by a doctor as to if you "really" have it or not, or if you just want piece of mind, I think it would be fine to have the biopsy. But, it is important to mention that 1. A negative biopsy doesn't rule Celiac out and 2. Ensure that your doctor takes MULTIPLE biopsies in MULTIPLE sites, as Celiac can be patchy.

I have had a few endoscopies, and they really are easy. The thing is, this is really the "only" easy time for you to have the biopsy....if you go gluten free, having to go back on gluten for weeks/months is really hard and is sometime not a good/reasonable option.

Best of luck,

Laura

I recently had my endoscopy, and am glad I had it. I found out I have a small hiatal hernia and also was glad to see the extent of my damage. It's a real eye opener to see a picture of your intestine - and then see a healthy one...

Tritty (my childhood nickname....)

Age 31, Mommy of 3

Blood test positive for celiac 1/16/07

gluten-free since 1/16/07

Endoscopy 2/13/07 - small hiatal hernia, scalloped mucosa in 1st and 2nd part of duodenum, some erosion of the esophogus.

Two oldest kids - fine so far :)

My 17 mo old has eosinophilic esophogitis. Only showing milk allergy? So completely off dairy for time being to see if that is trigger...

It's not necessary to have it, IFF you're going to eat gluten free religiously as you already know you need to. Your doctor could want it for a baseline, to compare against another biopsy in the future to see how well you're healing, but that's not that common, and not that necessary, IFF you're going to eat gluten free. It's a personal call, even though it is the gold standard, some doctors are moving away from it. There just isn't a single right answer, I'm afraid. Given that we can't know the full history here, it would help also to talk to your doctor about why he wants to do the biopsy and the advantages/disadvantages. If his *ONLY* reason is for confirmation, I wouldn't bother, but he may have other reasons.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

My personal opinion is that it's barbaric to have someone slice a piece out of my body just to prove something that I can tell is a problem by my choice of food.

But as others have said, sometimes the true picture of the damage to your body helps keep your resolve strong. But that being said, if the biopsy is negative you have to read the result as "Thank heavens I haven't destroyed my intestine yet".

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    SDBella
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts