This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ibs And Hormones?

Mtndog

Mtndog Collaborator

I know that it is not a popular belief to hold on this board that IBS is real, but I'm starting to think it is. I've been gluten and legume free for quite awhile- have tried eliminating many other things including nightshades, dairy etc. but it seems to make no difference.

I think that for me it may be a hormonal issue and wondering if anyone else experiences this. After all, IBS is a syndrome and all that means is that something is irritating your bowel and causing the symptoms and I think for me it may be related to having some seriously screwed up hormones.

Wondering if anyone else is familiar with this- I am currently undergoing fertility testing and I know my estradiol is through the roof. Also, I did just have an abnormal pap smear and have to go in for a colposcopy. :ph34r: Not fun.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has a hormonal issue and IBS despite cutting out gluten and other foods you are intolerant too. I've had a colonoscopy within the last six months and colitis, crohn's and microscopic colitis were riled out.

Also going to investiagte my thyroid as my normal temperature is ANYTHING but normal- it usually hovers around 94 or 95 and 97 feels like a fever. I've been complaining about this for the last two years and they run the standard TSH test which comes back normal but obviously that is NOT a normal body temp.

I see my GI next week and want to talk to her about this. I ahve these "bouts" with little explanation and they are NOT short. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I think it can be caused by other things besides celiac, but I think it most likely always has a cause. Most of my IBS symptoms went away going gluten-free, but not all. I also cut out other foods for a long time (soy, corn, and dairy), but it didn't help. Mine is most likely caused by my Lyme Disease ... GI symptoms are common with Lyme. So are thryoid symptoms.

Gluten definately aggravates it for me and causes malabsorption. My normal IBS symptoms do not appear to have a malabsorption problem, but when there's gluten involved, there is.

I hope you get to the cause soon!

StrongerToday Enthusiast

My doctor has told me that IBS exists but that it should be "stressed = stomach response" and it should be occasional, NOT a daily thing! I agree with his theory on this. Since going gluten-free and starting an anti-depressant, my IBS has cleared up a lot. And I almost always have a bad tummy day on the day I start my period, like today :angry:

Nancym Enthusiast
My doctor has told me that IBS exists but that it should be "stressed = stomach response" and it should be occasional, NOT a daily thing! I agree with his theory on this. Since going gluten-free and starting an anti-depressant, my IBS has cleared up a lot. And I almost always have a bad tummy day on the day I start my period, like today :angry:

I was surprised to find out there's a condition where having symptoms like diarrhea with your period, so yes, hormones seem to have the ability to mess up the gut. I get this too. I'll be constipated before and have dairrhea with. Its so fun!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I was surprised to find out there's a condition where having symptoms like diarrhea with your period, so yes, hormones seem to have the ability to mess up the gut. I get this too. I'll be constipated before and have dairrhea with. Its so fun!

I always had diarrhea with my period --until I stopped eating gluten. Same with my PCOS.

I agree with Carla, though--there is always a specific cause.

In your case, I wonder if it is thyroid? Thyroid IS a hormone, and regulates metabolism, which affects all your other hormones. Remember Georgie? I think what she was describing may have fit you. Do you know what your TSH numbers were, and were free T3 and T4 tested as well? I am not on Armour ( I seem to actually do well with Synthroid), but I believe what she described in terms of testing and diagnosis (that most doctors are totally incompetent in those areas) is correct.

And there's always Lyme...

Mtndog Collaborator

I saw a rheumatologist who told me that Lyme was a clinical diagnosis (can you believe a doctor said that???????) and that I didn't have the clinical symptoms (or the blood work).

I do remember Georgie.

Let's see. My thyroid numbers were:

TSH 1.5 in a range of .27-4.2 . This is down from a year ago when I was 2.2

They did NOT test T4 or T3.

My pituatary was 66 in a range of 15-65.

Thank you all for weighing in on this. the thing that scares me is that these "episodes" can last up to a month at this point. I get irritable, am tired but have trouble sleeping, D and C, headaches, chills, and likeI mentioned before nausea and vomiting. Sometimes joint pain, sometimes not.

My gas smells like it did when I had malabsorption during these episodes too (you know- sulfur).

Edit: Oh and I was reading somewhere that in the early stages of Grave's (I think it was) these symptoms can be episodic.

Archived