Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confused

Thyroid Cancer And Celiac

Is there a link with the 2 diseases. My aunt who is 36, was just diagnosed with thyroid cancer this morning. They want her to go for radioactive iodine therapy ASAP. My aunt is the sister of my uncle that was just diagnosed with stomach cancer last month at age 39.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is a link between Celiac Disease and a certain type of thyroid cancer. I don't remember what the cancer is called. The average time of onset for the thyroid cancer is 6 years after the Celiac diagnosis. I forget the exact percentage of this type of cancer in a Celiac, but I think it was in the mid to high 20%'s. A Celiac should have their thyroid palpitated (sp) once a year. I had a thyroid problem show up when I had an MRI done. My second ultra sound of the thyroid is in mid April (3 months after the last one). I am not concerned. If it is cancer it could not have been there that long (because of all the prior tests I have had done). They will either remove it or zap it.

Hopefully someone will chime in with what this cancer is called.

I am sure your Aunt will do well. I think it is great that they are doing this ASAP. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Aunt.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

There is a link between Celiac Disease and a certain type of thyroid cancer. I don't remember what the cancer is called. The average time of onset for the thyroid cancer is 6 years after the Celiac diagnosis. I forget the exact percentage of this type of cancer in a Celiac, but I think it was in the mid to high 20%'s. A Celiac should have their thyroid palpitated (sp) once a year. I had a thyroid problem show up when I had an MRI done. My second ultra sound of the thyroid is in mid April (3 months after the last one). I am not concerned. If it is cancer it could not have been there that long (because of all the prior tests I have had done). They will either remove it or zap it.

Hopefully someone will chime in with what this cancer is called.

I am sure your Aunt will do well. I think it is great that they are doing this ASAP. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Aunt.

Thank you for your response. Im thinking she said she has thyroid papillary carcinoma, but i could be wrong.

From what i get from my mom, she said she had an growth like mole on her throat from birth, but drs always said not to owrry about it, so while she was in for an physical the dr noticed it had grown and sent her to memorial hospital, were they did an u/s and drained it, and it came back with cancer. I know she thought it was the above type of cancer when she first went to the dr, but im not sure if that is what it came back as.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

This is a good link about Thyroid Cancer, its types and treatment.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/cancer/a/basics.htm

Autoimmune diseases can run in families. Pernicious Anaemia is another autoimmune disease and leads to an increased risk of stomach cancer. It might be a good idea to check your B12 levels as well. In my family I have Hashimotos Thyroid, nodules ( luckily under control with Armour but watching them ), Pernicious Anaemia and Celiac. My auntie had Hashis and PA , and my cousins also. One has Gluten Intolerance dx but is in denial about Celiac as her blood test was 'normal'.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

I had thyroid papillary cancer before my celiac. My mothers doc is convinced they are related.

For me thyroid cancer was not a huge deal. It has an extrememly high cure rate and little side effects to treatment. I had surgery to remove the thyroid and lymph nodes. The cancer had spread to the lymph nodes but again it is not a huge deal. For some reason in thyroid cancer it does not spread through out the body if it goes into a nodule, it just sits there. After surgery we did follow up radiation treatment. Again no side effects. Really the worst part was being in isolation after the radiation treatment. Now I take synthroid (pill) to replace the thyroid functions.

Fast forward 15 years later and I get my celiac dx. I am not sure if my surgery was my trigger or the birth of my son. I tend to think ds only because I was sick months after giving birth.

I will send prayers and good thoughts your way and for your Aunt.

Hez

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    luvbaggio
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):