pnltbox27

Feeling Like Crap

Rate this topic

been gluten free for a little under 4 weeks, the first 2 weeks i felt the best ive felt in 20 some years. actualy had regular trips to the bathroom no wicked D.now the last 5 or 6 days i feel like i did before going gluten-free.constant D and gas . my typical day is vans gluten-free waffles for breakfast with jam and a bag of almonds from the quicky mart and a diet coke, lunch has been a ham sandwhich on the gluten free pantry bread mix,which by the way tastes really good when made in my new bread maker we purchased and a bag of lays potato chips with chocalte chip cookies by bobs green mill also very good.dinner is usually grilled chicken or steak with carrots, ive been on a carrot kick since going gluten-free. snacks are usually act II popcorn or the gluten free cookies or vanilla ice cream. and lots of diet coke, im kinda a diet pop junkie.does any of this sound like something that should be giving me a problem??also i have been eating cheddar and colby jack cheese.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Thanks for posting this as it gives me an idea about where to focus in my own mystery glutening.

I am in the same boat with you...really. I've been gluten-free for about the same period of time, and most of it has been HEAVEN...feeling better than I have in a decade. But this past week has been a total downer. Somehow I got glutened...complete with mouth sores, mild d, itchy elbows and fatigue (my typical symptoms). The only suspicious thing your diet and my diet have in common:

LAYS Potato Chips. :(

I was already starting to suspect them yesterday, because I felt bad after a meal that was just chili made from organic pinto beans (rinsed), organic canned chicken (rinsed), my own homemade gluten-free chili seasoning blend, and Lays.

Someone recommended Cape Cod chips as being a low risk for cross-contamination. I'm going to look for some.

I don't eat eggs, milk, rice, fish, almonds or corn because of my infant son's allergies (he's still nursing). I do eat a lot of carrots (baby, organic, washed). I have an occasional diet Dr. Pepper, but not every day.

You didn't mention ground beef in your list of foods. My other big suspect was ground beef. It was from Wal-Mart (my closest grocer), and although it's against the law, I wondered if it had been mixed with some filler. But I've been sticking with "whole" sources of beef for the past few days...pot roast, stew meat, etc.

Another few things for you to check (in case it isn't the Lays): 1.) Has the chicken been injected with a solution that contains "food starch"? 2.) Is your jam gluten-free? Some are not. 3.) Is your jam jar clean and free from gluten crumbs? If it dates to your pre-gluten days, or if it's used by anyone eating bread, dump it and get a new jar for you alone.

Good luck figuring it out! The bad days just hammer home how ecstatic I am to have found the problem (gluten) and to be on my road to recovery.

April

my suggestion would be to give up the gluten free bread and cookies & dairy.

obviously you are eating something that is not agreeing with you. 4 weeks might be too soon for you to add in the gluten free grains. The cross contamination issue is also a concern, it kicks in after you have most of the gluten out of your system :(

oh & personally I would also give up forever those diet cokes. check out what that artificial sugar does to your brain. & now that it is getting more widely accepted that gluten affects the brain, I would not want to be consuming anything else that interferes with the brain. although, my sister also refuses to give up her diet cokes - says she does not want to be fat... Which I think is an excuse...

I also do not drink regular cokes, are you aware how corrosive that stuff is to your teeth? imagine what it is doing to your compromised intestines!!

oh & personally I would also give up forever those diet cokes. check out what that artificial sugar does to your brain. & now that it is getting more widely accepted that gluten affects the brain, I would not want to be consuming anything else that interferes with the brain.

I would have to agree with this. The Aspartame in your diet coke is toxic. I would guarantee that you'd feel better (in alot of ways) if you did what this poster suggested and ditched the diet cokes.

Yes...it could be damaging your brain...and no it isnt good for your intestines...or any other part of your body.

Besides the drinks, those chips stand out as a possible culprit IMHO. Lay's is notorious for MSG, and loads of garbage including wheat derived stuff in their chips. The only safe chips in any brand that I'm aware of are the plain ones. No flavorings. That's the only ones I ever liked anyway, but most people (for reasons I do not understand) seem to like the flavored ones. Looking at the mile-long list of ingredients makes me wonder how anyone could want to eat them :blink:

Aside from that, perhaps the almonds are a source of CC? A recent thread seems to indicate it is common for nuts to be processed at the same facilities as wheat, but the only allergy info I've ever seen on packages of nuts is that they are processed with other nuts.

As gfpaperdoll points out, dairy or other things might be a bit rough on your system for the time being.

Ads by Google:

Thanks for posting this as it gives me an idea about where to focus in my own mystery glutening.

I am in the same boat with you...really. I've been gluten-free for about the same period of time, and most of it has been HEAVEN...feeling better than I have in a decade. But this past week has been a total downer. Somehow I got glutened...complete with mouth sores, mild d, itchy elbows and fatigue (my typical symptoms). The only suspicious thing your diet and my diet have in common:

I was already starting to suspect them yesterday, because I felt bad after a meal that was just chili made from organic pinto beans (rinsed), organic canned chicken (rinsed), my own homemade gluten-free chili seasoning blend, and Lays.

Someone recommended Cape Cod chips as being a low risk for cross-contamination. I'm going to look for some.

I don't eat eggs, milk, rice, fish, almonds or corn because of my infant son's allergies (he's still nursing). I do eat a lot of carrots (baby, organic, washed). I have an occasional diet Dr. Pepper, but not every day.

You didn't mention ground beef in your list of foods. My other big suspect was ground beef. It was from Wal-Mart (my closest grocer), and although it's against the law, I wondered if it had been mixed with some filler. But I've been sticking with "whole" sources of beef for the past few days...pot roast, stew meat, etc.

Another few things for you to check (in case it isn't the Lays): 1.) Has the chicken been injected with a solution that contains "food starch"? 2.) Is your jam gluten-free? Some are not. 3.) Is your jam jar clean and free from gluten crumbs? If it dates to your pre-gluten days, or if it's used by anyone eating bread, dump it and get a new jar for you alone.

Good luck figuring it out! The bad days just hammer home how ecstatic I am to have found the problem (gluten) and to be on my road to recovery.

April

I am thinking the lays. Yesterday i was so sick, i had thought it was all from the miracle whip, but i did feel good when i woke up yesterday til i grabbed a few lays chips, then i got so sick. I didnt think it oculd be the lays so blamed the miracle whip, but now that you both think you might have problems with lays, then i bet maybe that is what the culprit is. I guess no more lays for me.

paula

I second (or third) the cutting out the Lay's and diet coke. I had some Lay's about a week after going gluten free and the tummy did not like it one bit. I don't know if it's the oil that they use or a CC issue, but many people seem to not deal well with them.

As for the soda, I used to drink 4 or 5 Coke's a day, along with a couple cups of coffee. When I went gluten free I figured I might as well weed out some of the other junk. I might drink a Sprite 2 or 3 times a week now, but haven't had Coke or coffee in almost 2 months and don't miss them at all. Propel vitamin water(made by Gatorade), comes in a variety of flavors, is pretty cheap wholesale, and a lot better for you, especially iin the damaged state your intestines are in.

Might want to look into the almonds, you may have a tree nut intolerance as well. Hope you get it figured out and feeling better soon.

thanks for all of the advice.im pretty sure the lays chips are probably a culprit of some sort, so i guess ill lay off of them. no pun untended lol.. as far as the diet cola everyone of you are right its very hypocritical of me to cut out gluten to heal my body only to polute it with a different toxin.its like smoking though i am dependent on it ive been drinking only cola for my whole life im 37 years old. i cant seem to find a alternative , but ill keep trying

About Lay's Potato Chips...

I just started the gluten-free diet last week, but I have always eaten a lot of Lay's chips in the past, usually the reduced fat, but none of the plain chips bothered me.

Then last summer I suddenly started having violent reactions to their chips. I have no idea what changed, but every few weeks I would try again and would be doubled over or lying in a fetal position in bed with D for a few days. I was totally baffled by the reaction.

I know that they have gone to all sunflower oil now, but I use it all the time for cooking without any problems and the type they use is supposed to be non-GMO. All I can figure is that they changed their processing.

Thanks for maybe solving a mystery for me...I get my potato fix with Ore-Ida fries now (although they only guarantee that some of their line is produced on gluten-free lines so you have to check their website for UPC codes).

Jan

Ads by Google:

April

the lay's are said to be gluten free i contacted the company and most lay's are but they did say there was some risk of contamination but was low because most of their products are gluten free the walmart hambuger though gets me every time so i stick to the fresh ground places and seem to do fine but ham is very risky i just stay away from it all together

its been a week or two since my post and ive only had a bag of original lays twice with no problems so im still confused . i dont know if it was cc or something else. it sure is interesting to see others possibly having the same issues though..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4,059 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/18/2018 - Despite many studies on immune development in children, there still isn’t much good data on how a mother’s diet during pregnancy and infancy influences a child’s immune development.  A team of researchers recently set out to assess whether changes in maternal or infant diet might influence the risk of allergies or autoimmune disease.
    The team included Vanessa Garcia-Larsen, Despo Ierodiakonou, Katharine Jarrold, Sergio Cunha,  Jennifer Chivinge, Zoe Robinson, Natalie Geoghegan, Alisha Ruparelia, Pooja Devani, Marialena Trivella, Jo Leonardi-Bee, and Robert J. Boyle.
    They are variously associated with the Department of Undiagnosed Celiac Disease More Common in Women and Girls International Health, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America; the Respiratory Epidemiology, Occupational Medicine and Public Health, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom; the Section of Paediatrics, Department of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom; the Centre for Statistics in Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom; the Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom; the Centre of Evidence Based Dermatology, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom; and Stanford University in the USA.
    Team members searched MEDLINE, Excerpta Medica dataBASE (EMBASE), Web of Science, Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL), and Literatura Latino Americana em Ciências da Saúde (LILACS) for observational studies conducted between January 1946 and July 2013, and interventional studies conducted through December 2017, that evaluated the relationship between diet during pregnancy, lactation, or the first year of life, and future risk of allergic or autoimmune disease. 
    They then selected studies, extracted data, and assessed bias risk. They evaluated data using the Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE). They found 260 original studies, covering 964,143 participants, of milk feeding, including 1 intervention trial of breastfeeding promotion, and 173 original studies, covering 542,672 participants, of other maternal or infant dietary exposures, including 80 trials of 26 maternal, 32 infant, or 22 combined interventions. 
    They found a high bias risk in nearly half of the more than 250 milk feeding studies and in about one-quarter of studies of other dietary exposures. Evidence from 19 intervention trials suggests that oral supplementation with probiotics during late pregnancy and lactation may reduce risk of eczema. 44 cases per 1,000; 95% CI 20–64), and 6 trials, suggest that fish oil supplementation during pregnancy and lactation may reduce risk of allergic sensitization to egg. GRADE certainty of these findings was moderate. 
    The team found less evidence, and low GRADE certainty, for claims that breastfeeding reduces eczema risk during infancy, that longer exclusive breastfeeding is associated with reduced type 1 diabetes mellitus, and that probiotics reduce risk of infants developing allergies to cow’s milk. 
    They found no evidence that dietary exposure to other factors, including prebiotic supplements, maternal allergenic food avoidance, and vitamin, mineral, fruit, and vegetable intake, influence risk of allergic or autoimmune disease. 
    Overall, the team’s findings support a connection between the mother’s diet and risk of immune-mediated diseases in the child. Maternal probiotic and fish oil supplementation may reduce risk of eczema and allergic sensitization to food, respectively.
    Stay tuned for more on diet during pregnancy and its role in celiac disease.
    Source:
    PLoS Med. 2018 Feb; 15(2): e1002507. doi:  10.1371/journal.pmed.1002507

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/17/2018 - What can fat soluble vitamin levels in newly diagnosed children tell us about celiac disease? A team of researchers recently assessed fat soluble vitamin levels in children diagnosed with newly celiac disease to determine whether vitamin levels needed to be assessed routinely in these patients during diagnosis.
    The researchers evaluated the symptoms of celiac patients in a newly diagnosed pediatric group and evaluated their fat soluble vitamin levels and intestinal biopsies, and then compared their vitamin levels with those of a healthy control group.
    The research team included Yavuz Tokgöz, Semiha Terlemez and Aslıhan Karul. They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, the Department of Pediatrics, and the Department of Biochemistry at Adnan Menderes University Medical Faculty in Aydın, Turkey.
    The team evaluated 27 female, 25 male celiac patients, and an evenly divided group of 50 healthy control subjects. Patients averaged 9 years, and weighed 16.2 kg. The most common symptom in celiac patients was growth retardation, which was seen in 61.5%, with  abdominal pain next at 51.9%, and diarrhea, seen in 11.5%. Histological examination showed nearly half of the patients at grade Marsh 3B. 
    Vitamin A and vitamin D levels for celiac patients were significantly lower than the control group. Vitamin A and vitamin D deficiencies were significantly more common compared to healthy subjects. Nearly all of the celiac patients showed vitamin D insufficiency, while nearly 62% showed vitamin D deficiency. Nearly 33% of celiac patients showed vitamin A deficiency. 
    The team saw no deficiencies in vitamin E or vitamin K1 among celiac patients. In the healthy control group, vitamin D deficiency was seen in 2 (4%) patients, vitamin D insufficiency was determined in 9 (18%) patients. The team found normal levels of all other vitamins in the healthy group.
    Children with newly diagnosed celiac disease showed significantly reduced levels of vitamin D and A. The team recommends screening of vitamin A and D levels during diagnosis of these patients.
    Source:
    BMC Pediatrics

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/16/2018 - Did weak public oversight leave Arizonans ripe for Theranos’ faulty blood tests scam? Scandal-plagued blood-testing company Theranos deceived Arizona officials and patients by selling unproven, unreliable products that produced faulty medical results, according to a new book by Wall Street Journal reporter, whose in-depth, comprehensive investigation of the company uncovered deceit, abuse, and potential fraud.
    Moreover, Arizona government officials facilitated the deception by providing weak regulatory oversight that essentially left patients as guinea pigs, said the book’s author, investigative reporter John Carreyrou. 
    In the newly released "Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup," Carreyrou documents how Theranos and its upstart founder, Elizabeth Holmes, used overblown marketing claims and questionable sales tactics to push faulty products that resulted in consistently faulty blood tests results. Flawed results included tests for celiac disease and numerous other serious, and potentially life-threatening, conditions.
    According to Carreyrou, Theranos’ lies and deceit made Arizonans into guinea pigs in what amounted to a "big, unauthorized medical experiment.” Even though founder Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos duped numerous people, including seemingly savvy investors, Carreyrou points out that there were public facts available to elected officials back then, like a complete lack of clinical data on the company's testing and no approvals from the Food and Drug Administration for any of its tests.
    SEC recently charged the now disgraced Holmes with what it called a 'years-long fraud.’ The company’s value has plummeted, and it is now nearly worthless, and facing dozens, and possibly hundreds of lawsuits from angry investors. Meantime, Theranos will pay Arizona consumers $4.65 million under a consumer-fraud settlement Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich negotiated with the embattled blood-testing company.
    Both investors and Arizona officials, “could have picked up on those things or asked more questions or kicked the tires more," Carreyrou said. Unlike other states, such as New York, Arizona lacks robust laboratory oversight that would likely have prevented Theranos from operating in those places, he added.
    Stay tuned for more new on how the Theranos fraud story plays out.
    Read more at azcentral.com.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/14/2018 - If you’re looking for a simple, nutritious and exciting alternative to standard spaghetti and tomato sauce, look no further than this delicious version that blends ripe plum tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil, and firm sliced ricotta to deliver a tasty, memorable dish.
    Ingredients:
    12 ounces gluten-free spaghetti 5 or 6 ripe plum tomatoes ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil 2 cloves garlic, crushed ¾ teaspoons crushed red pepper ¼ cup chopped fresh basil 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Kosher salt and black pepper ⅓ cup pecorino Romano cheese, grated ½ cup firm ricotta, shaved with peeler Directions:
    Finely chop all but one of the tomatoes; transfer to large bowl with olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt.
    Cook spaghetti until al dente or desired firmness, and drain, reserving ¼ cup cooking water. 
    Meanwhile, chop remaining tomato, and place in food processor along with garlic, red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt; puree until smooth. 
    Gently stir mixture into the bowl of chopped tomatoes.
    Add cooked spaghetti, basil and parsley to a large bowl.
    Toss in tomato mixture, adding some reserved pasta water, if needed. 
    Spoon pasta into bowls and top with Romano cheese, as desired.

Jean Duane
    Celiac.com 07/13/2018 - I went to a friend’s home for dinner.  A few days before, she called and asked me what I could eat.  I asked her what she was planning to make, and she said she was grilling meats with side dishes.  I said, “Great.  Please just grill a piece of chicken for me with salt and pepper, and I’ll be happy to bring a side.” She said, “No need to bring a side.  I’ve got this.” When I arrived, she greeted me and said, “I spent all day cooking tonight’s dinner so you can eat it. Hey would you just check this salad dressing to see if it is OK for you?” I looked at the ingredients and it contained gluten and dairy, both of which I cannot eat.  Then I glanced around the kitchen and saw evidence of wheat cross-contamination, including buns being toasted on the grill, and gluten-containing barbeque sauce spilling on the grill where my “clean” chicken was cooking. She had other guests to tend to, and I couldn’t offer instruction or read the ingredients of everything she used in the meal. 
    At social gatherings, I’ve been challenged too by those who ask if I am really “allergic,” or just eating gluten free as a “fad.” I’ve been told many times by hosts and hostesses that, “a little won’t hurt you,” or “everything in moderation,” or “if it is made with loving hands, it is good for you to eat.”  Of course, all of this is bunk for those with food allergies or celiac disease.  A little bit may kill us, and whether made with loving hands or not, it will certainly make us sick. 
    Those of us with food allergies and/or celiac disease walk a tightrope with friends and relatives. The old rules of etiquette just don’t work anymore.  We don’t want to insult anybody, we don’t want to be isolated, and we also don’t want to risk our health by eating foods that may contain ingredients we cannot tolerate.  So what do we do? 
    Etiquette books advise us to eat what is put in front of us when we are guests in someone’s home. They caution us at all costs not to insult our hostess. Rather, we are instructed to compliment the hostess on her good cooking, flavor combinations, and food choices.  But when foods are prepared in a cross-contaminated environment with ingredients we are allergic to, we cannot follow the old social constructs that do not serve us.  We need to work together to rewrite the rules, so that we can be included in social gatherings without fear of cross-contamination, and without offending anyone.
    Let’s figure out how to surmount these social situations together.  
    Each edition of this column will present a scenario, and together, we’ll determine appropriate, polite, and most importantly, safe ways to navigate this tricky gluten-free/food allergies lifestyle in a graceful way.  If someone disagrees with our new behavior patterns, we can refer them to this column and say, “Here are the new rules for those of us with food allergies or celiac disease.”  When we are guests in someone’s home, we can give them links to this column so they understand the plight we are faced with, bite after bite. Perhaps this will help those of us living with us to understand, be more compassionate, and accepting of our adaptations to keep ourselves safe. 
    This column will present a scenario such as the one above, and ask that you comment on how you would navigate it. Let’s talk about it. Let’s share ideas.  Using the example above, here’s the scenario for this issue:
    What would you do?
    Your kind-hearted friend invites you to dinner and insists on cooking for you.  You arrive and the first thing she says is, “I’ve spent all day making this for you. Oh, I bought this salad dressing for you, but you might want to read the ingredients first.”  You do, and it contains malt vinegar.  You look around the kitchen and notice evidence of cross-contamination in the rest of the meal.  What do you do? 
    Please comment below and feel free to share the tricky scenarios that you’ve encountered too.  Let’s discuss how to surmount these social situations.  What would you do?