This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vets Or Animal Techs I Need Your Help

Felidae

Felidae Enthusiast

I have to give my cat sub-Q's otherwise he will die, basically. Am I supposed to store the fluid bag in the fridge? Also, any tricks to administering the fluids would be helpful. We got him started today and it took a few tries, but we managed to get about 100mL in him.

Also, he's not drinking or eating. I don't want to stress him too much all at once, but I'm supposed to force feed him with a feeding syringe. I need to mix his canned food with water. If anyone has tricks for this that would be great too.

We're hoping that with sub-Q fluids he'll start eating again without me having to force it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor

Yes, once fluids are opened, store them in the fridge. I would recommend a new needle each treatment. For 100 mls, we usually divide it up into a few spots. Best areas are behind the head - but over the shoulder area as well as along their sides.

Warm the fluids before giving them and do not rub the area after you have given the fluids- it irritates the underlying tissue.

For eating - right now - anything goes. Chicken broth warmed and given by syringe. Meat type baby food (chicken or lamb seem to be favorite) - they are high in sodium but food is food and cats cant go long without eating - it affects the liver. Sardines. Evaporated milk. Yogurt. Heck - even ice cream! Not alwasy best choices for food but we need ot get him eating something. You can force feed yogurt with a syringe - warm it up and it gets more liquid or dilute it with evaporated milk

Sorry I didnt see the post before now, I am handraising baby kittens right now and I sort of fly through the posts.

Good luck, and love him up, and keep him warm. When cats are sick - they often like to lay with magic bags or warm water bottles. or...you cna put towels in the dryer and get them nice and warm for him

2kids4me Contributor

Open Original Shared Link

This is a good site - step by step and details about sub Q fluids and cats.

I chuckled a bit though as they show a cat on a table receiving fluids calmly and no one holding him. Our kitty patients usually like to slink forward and twist a bit and voice their objections.... kind of like -that saying: "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".... "this treatment is not as easy as the pictures show"

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I subQed my cat for several months before he finally died (he was 17 and had failing kidneys). The vet tech taught me to scrunch up the skin at the back of the neck or between the shoulder blades, and slip the needle in there and just hold it there. I would get on all fours and sort of straddle the kitty while doing this.

After the first day, he actually purred while he got his fluids!

I hope your kitty feels much better very soon.

Nancym Enthusiast

Once when my kitty was sick and wouldn't eat I managed to tempt him to drink with tuna juice (the watery stuff off a can of tuna juice).

Felidae Enthusiast
Yes, once fluids are opened, store them in the fridge. I would recommend a new needle each treatment. For 100 mls, we usually divide it up into a few spots. Best areas are behind the head - but over the shoulder area as well as along their sides.

Warm the fluids before giving them and do not rub the area after you have given the fluids- it irritates the underlying tissue.

For eating - right now - anything goes. Chicken broth warmed and given by syringe. Meat type baby food (chicken or lamb seem to be favorite) - they are high in sodium but food is food and cats cant go long without eating - it affects the liver. Sardines. Evaporated milk. Yogurt. Heck - even ice cream! Not alwasy best choices for food but we need ot get him eating something. You can force feed yogurt with a syringe - warm it up and it gets more liquid or dilute it with evaporated milk

Sorry I didnt see the post before now, I am handraising baby kittens right now and I sort of fly through the posts.

Good luck, and love him up, and keep him warm. When cats are sick - they often like to lay with magic bags or warm water bottles. or...you cna put towels in the dryer and get them nice and warm for him

Thanks for the pm. He's allergic to chicken, but all your suggestions are great. They gave mae lots of needles. I left the fluids (NaCl) out last night because I wasn't sure whether to refrigerate. But now I know.

Also, the vet didn't tell me if I should give fluids everyday. He's extremely jaundiced and obviously he's dehydrated. His liver is so toxic that he had a seizure two nights ago. I did read up on the signs of overhydration.

He sure does require extra warmth and seems to be craving it.

Felidae Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your support and advice. I am a basket case full of worries for him, so all the extra tips help put me at ease.

Tuna water is about the only thing he'll eat without being forced. LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks everyone for your support and advice. I am a basket case full of worries for him, so all the extra tips help put me at ease.

Tuna water is about the only thing he'll eat without being forced. LOL

I hope your kitty pulls through this. I'll say a little prayer for him :)

Poor kitty! I hope he's doing better.

I didn't know cats could be allergic to chicken. :blink: Can he drink beef broth? I bet the tuna juice is good for him, too...

I'm sure he knows how much you love him and how much you are doing for him. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Nothing to add but hugs and prayers. Sounds like you are doing all you can and I hope he recovers soon.

Krista

Felidae Enthusiast

I appreciate everyones kind thoughts.

We had a really tough time giving him his fluids tonight. He's just skin and bones. I don't know how much more of this I can take. I've had diarrhea for a week. I'm not eating much and I'm skinny so this is very bad. I'm really depressed and to top it all off I start my new job on the 30th. A job where I'm supposed to be really fit and strong. I guess I'm a wreck.

Okay I feel a little better now that I've talked to you guys about it.

I'm sorry it's not going better (yet)--sounds like you could use some IV fluids, too!

Felidae Enthusiast
I'm sorry it's not going better (yet)--sounds like you could use some IV fluids, too!

I sure could! I'm losing a lot of salts in my tears.

Felidae Enthusiast

Here's an update on my furry guy.

Last night he had the water from my canned salmon. Then he was still hungry, so I gave him a little taste of butter. Then he wanted more food so I gave him a little milk. He was still hungry, so I rushed to the only grocery store that was open late and picked up some sardines. He loved them.

Today we didn't give hum any sub-Q's because he was eating and drinking. I found a canned food that he gobbled up, Techni-Cal naturals. They have two or three without any chicken and that taste good.

So, I think he's on his way to recovery.

2kids4me Contributor

That is GREAT news! Good job coaxing him to eat. I hope he continues on the road to recovery. Keep him nice and warm, cats with liver or kidney issue do have trouble maintaining body temperature.

Isnt it wonderful feeling - a surge of joy - when they start eating again and then want to gobble whatever you put in front of them?

Sandy

Felidae Enthusiast
That is GREAT news! Good job coaxing him to eat. I hope he continues on the road to recovery. Keep him nice and warm, cats with liver or kidney issue do have trouble maintaining body temperature.

Isnt it wonderful feeling - a surge of joy - when they start eating again and then want to gobble whatever you put in front of them?

Sandy

Yes, it is a really great and much needed feeling of joy and relief. Thanks for all of your help and support.

I've tried to give him magic bags and the like, but he's not interested. He just wants to be alone and every so often he'll cuddle up with me or my husband. He also curls up in a towel-lined kennel.

Archived