This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Guilty?

jmd3

jmd3 Contributor

My youngest daughter is not understanding the fact that she can't fling the bread, or crackers, etc... around... She has started to make her sandwiches on a paper towel...but then she picks up the towel and the crumbs go everywhere! I feel like I am continuously harping and I just want to lighten-up! Am I guilty for slowly weening my bread and cracker purchases for the rest of my family?? I am replacing my daughters waffle fix with coco pebbles, and fruity peebles...I think they are gluten free. ( I have tried to sneak gluten-free waffles in...but she won't eat them) Thinking about making her rice-crispie treats...only with coco pebbles. I am at the point that if they want it...they buy it! What else can I do?

I have been so ill, that I am scared and not seeing that I can co-habit with gluten in my house...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, trace amounts will inevitably go astray as other members of your family use wheat products. So if your sensitivity is high enough such that you become ill from it, then I'd say it is not you who should feel guilty. They must become more conscientious IMHO, or you don't have much choice.

I don't know what brand of gluten-free waffles are the preferred ones among the members here, but a quick search brought up several references to Van's Waffles. I'm sure some brands are better than others, and of course there's homemade if you can do that. From what most seem to say, homemade usually beats prepackaged.

confused Community Regular

My kids love the homemade waffles. I put mixed beeries and powder sugar on them and they are in heaven, Even my picky 7 yr old says mom they taste just like eggos. I am the one that dont like them as much, go figure.

We no longer have bread in the house, but we have buns and tortillas that im trying to get rid of in the house next.

Once my sons enterolab test come back, im getting rid of all the gluten. If the others in the house want gluten they can go out to eat lol

paula

Phyllis28 Apprentice

No, you should not feel guilty. The less gluten you have around the better.

My household is gluten limited. We only have bread, cereal, hot dog buns, Doritoes and microwave Mac and Cheese. I buy separate sandwich fixings for myself to further limit cross contamination. The kitchen counter is divided into gluten free and gluten allowed zones.

My gluten eating son and husband liked the I made from the Bob Red Mills mix. I make two batches at once and refrigerate the leftovers to reheat later.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

No, you are not guilty. My house was a gluten free zone house for while when I went gluten free. All meals that I cooked (ie, dinner) are gluten free, but I let hubby have sandwich bread, Nacho Cheese Doritos (that one flavor has to be his favorite right??) and a bag of cookies...then we realized I was still getting a bit sick.. most likely from the computer keyboard which we shared..

so now my house is totally gluten free... you want gluten, go out and eat it, or eat it in your car, not in the house. I cannot comprimise my health for anyone else, I have to take care of me, without that I cannot take care of my family.

I am sorry you feel guilty, but really there are good mixes for pancakes and such out there.. they are darn good!!!

missy'smom Collaborator

Don't feel guilty! We've had very little gluten in our house for almost a year but I recently started buying bread and flour tortillas(only these two items!) more often for convenience and I've been having problems. Having them occasionally in a controlled situation works for us. Flour tortillas and gluten-free tortillas in the same meal does not work I have found. My son who is not gluten-free and I eat homemade waffles from the Pamela's mix with some fruit or homemade fruit sauce and whipped cream and he's very happy. For snacks I am trying to stay away from the usual because of CC but mainly because he is hyperctive. I make gelatins from juice and fruit and pudding and give him fruit, cheese, ice cream, popsicles made from 100% juice, popcorn, there really are alot of alternatives to the carbs that we're used to, it just takes a mind switch and more of our treats are homemade-very simple ones because I don't want to live in the kitchen. He likes the Namaste and Pamela's choc cake mixes. I make cupcakes and freeze them and they last us a long time. Plus with someone to help me with the eating I get more variety too! He gets plenty of gluten filled treats at school, even candy, on an almost daily basis!

Jo.R Contributor

You wouldn't feel guilty if you got rid of the gluten in the house for one of your kids health. It's weird how we sacrifice our health and feel guilty when others have to sacrifice for us, and we would sacrifice in a minute and gladly so if it was for our kids or spouse. A healthy parent is a better parent and worth far more in the long run than a few items of food. There may be some whining now, but when your kids are old enough to understand they will be thankful you took care of yourself, and it will help teach them the importance of taking care of themselves. Example is worth far more than talk.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

I think your family should feel guilty that thier sloppiness is making you feel so sick!

I go spend weekends with my parents, and they have a VERY gluten filled household. This past weekend I saw the island competely covered with crumbs from my father's lunch. I went to the living room and yelled at him!

I told him for him it's an incovience to clean up, but for me it's about my health!

This is the attitude I will take with everyone in my life.

jmd3 Contributor

Thank you to all that replied!

I do not feel quilty anymore - you are right, I would give up things for them if I had to just to make sure they were fine, it is about my health, and it is better that I am healthy...

...or hoping to get better each passing day.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Guilty of what? Not wanting to get sick? Then, yes, I guess you are guilty :)

I think they just started adding gluten in cocoa pebbles. I seem to remember those with a sell by date of April 2007 or later have gluten in them.

I think they just started adding gluten in cocoa pebbles. I seem to remember those with a sell by date of April 2007 or later have gluten in them.

why do companies have to add that back in, makes me so mad. I bet it wont long til they add it back into fruity pebbles, the only cereal i eat, ughhhhh

paula

wowzer Community Regular

I wouldn't feel guilty. You have to do protect yourself. I don't blame you at all. I have a son that works at a pizza place. I have gotten glutened from a hug from him.

Here is the post about them not being safe no more.

paula

jmd3 Contributor

We called the company yesterday...and both Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles are gluten free.

Archived