This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By Soymilk!

gfmolly

gfmolly Contributor

So I am eating a bowl of cereal dry rightnow. Why you might ask? Because yesterday I learned that rice dream has barley in it. So I learned my lesson and looked at my box of soymilk this morning before pouring it in my cereal, and sure enough, malted barley. I'm frustrated! Thanks for the vent. Anyone have brands that they recommend of any kind of milk I can use in cereal and cooking? I am lactose intolerant as well.

Thank you!

Terri

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel42 Enthusiast

I drink Silk soy milk like it's going out of style and I've never had a problem with it. This is from the Silk website:

What is a dairy allergy? Can I use Silk products if I am allergic to dairy?

Many people are allergic to milk (usually cow's milk) or milk products. Dairy allergies are different from lactose intolerance. A dairy allergy is an extreme sensitivity to the proteins in dairy products, while lactose intolerance is caused by a lack of lactase enzyme, which helps the body digest dairy products. Dairy allergies can range from mild indigestion to anaphylaxis, which is life threatening.

All Silk products are dairy free, lactose-free and casein-free. None of our ingredients come from animal products, by-products or derivatives.

For more information on food allergies, visit the following websites:

The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network

Lactose.CO.UK

SoyNutrition.com

Are Silk products okay for people with wheat and gluten allergies?

Much like those folks with dairy allergies, there are people who have a hypersensitivity to wheat or wheat products

Karen B. Explorer

Silk is what Hubby and I both drink. It's more nutritious than regular cow's milk and tastes as good (or better). I'm not dairy intolerent, I just like it better. The chocolate tastes great but most of the time we just buy the plain. I can make chocolate milk if I want it.

And yes, the carton says it's gluten free.

loraleena Contributor

I would stay away from non organic soy milk like silk. Read up on this!

Nic Collaborator

My son drinks West Soy Rice Milk. It is rice milk, just made by the West Soy company. He likes it a lot and we can barely keep up with buying it he drinks so much. If we can't get that brand we buy the Whole Foods brand.

Nicole

emcmaster Collaborator

I drink 8th Continent Light Original soymilk - have for years and really like it. It's much lower in calories and fat than silk, even silk light, and I love the taste. Sadly, it has xanthan gum in it (from corn) but somehow it doesn't bother me so I keep drinking it. I guess if I start having unexplained problems, I'll have to switch. But until then...

Murph Newbie

Is anyone going to point out that Rice Dream isn't soymilk?

Anyway - gotta read those labels.

I used to drink Silk, but it really has a lot of extra ingredients. As part of an elimination trial I went to the unsweetened varieties - with only 2 ingred, water & soybeans.

Have since moved up to tolerate 3 ingred types, where 'brown rice syrup' is added as a sweetener, tho I use more of the unsweetened than any other.

Trader Joe's house brand costs only $1.29 per carton, much less than any other. They have Regular/Original, Unswt, Choc, Vanilla, ... maybe more.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast
Is anyone going to point out that Rice Dream isn't soymilk?

No one claimed that it was :)

Murph Newbie
No one claimed that it was :)

Reread the title of the post. :)

gfmolly Contributor

Thanks, that should get me started on my way. I think my hubbie picked up Soydream for me, but looks like Silk is a good one to try! Just to clarify, I've been glutened by both ricemilk AND soymilk this week, but read the label of the soymilk this morning and decided to find a different brand based on the malted barley in it. So yea, I know, read the labels. Hopefully I can stop the rookie mistakes soon! :unsure:

Mango04 Enthusiast
Reread the title of the post. :)

:lol: She said she decided to check the ingredients in her soy milk after learning Rice Dream contained barley. Makes sense to me...

Anyway, I wanted to recommend hemp milk. Living Harvest Vanilla hemp milk is good on cereal. It's much thicker and creamier than rice, soy and almond milks.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I would stay away from non organic soy milk like silk. Read up on this!

Silk is organic.

• 1 month later...
Guest laydirain

Almond milk is good too. I use Pacific brand. Just an idea for smething new for you to try. As always, makes ure to read the label.

Archived