Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dawnrose008

Vitamins Make Me Sick!

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else has problems taking vitamins. I've been gluten-free for about 2 months and I just recently went to the vitamin shoppe and spent alot of money on a really good multi-vitamin and calcium supplement. Only thing is, I've taken them for 2 days now and they are making me feel horribly sick to my stomach! I've never had problems taking vitamins before.....I know it is not gluten related. Both supplements state they are free of gluten, dairy, yeast, soy, wheat, preservatives, etc. Anyone else have this problem? and if so, have you found anything that helps.. thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have enormous problems w/ vitamins. My doctor tried me on kids vitamins, which were a little better - I lasted 4 or 5 days before they made me really sick.

I thought, after the dx, that it was because of the GI damage. I'm a little over 2 weeks gluten-free. Maybe at 2 months, you're not ready for the intensity of the vitamins and you still need to heal more? I'm just speculating and don't have the answer. I look forward to hearing the other responses from experienced!

good luck

grey

Are you taking them with or without food? You may need to eat a small snack with the vitamins. You can also try taking them at lunch or dinner instead of first thing in the morning.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

I've been gluten free for 6 months now and im JUST trying to take vitamins again. I'm still pretty sensitive to them, even though they're free of the common food allergies. My doctor says it's not uncommon for people with a lot of GI damage to react to vitamins, because there's so much in there to react to. Does anyone have a solution to this, or has anyone found a way to get in essential nutrients without reacting?

i have to take my multivitamin with food, or i have overwhelming nausea.

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006

Villus blunting and positive blood test

When I first went gluten-free, I could not take vitamins at all. They made me nauseated. I tried many different types, but I couldn

Karen

gluten-free since March 05

Take them with food. And get the kind without iron. Iron is hard to absorb by our bodies...that's why it makes some people sick. I am anemic and have to take iron but I get the Gentle Iron and it works just fine-no nausea.

Anyway, try your vitamins with food and an entire glass of water. A friend of mine takes several vitamins each day and she spreads them out...one at breakfast, one at lunch, one at dinner.

Wow....I HAVE to take Iron or I can't get my head off the couch in the afternoon! I've been gluten free for just about 6 mos now. If I take my full swing - I get really sick. I can tolerate my iron (liquid Floridix Iron + Herbs - the box that says gluten free, there are two of them, the one that doesn't say gluten free on the front is NOT gluten free), and I can usually get my multi down okay.

Unfortunately, i have Fibromyalgia too, so there's a slew of other stuff I'm supposed to take. I take them on one week/off one week....that way they are in my system. I may move to every other day and see if that's better.

:)

Both iron and zinc in vitamins commonly cause nausea even in people without celiac or other GI troubles. Also, iodine can cause bad reactions for some people.

Celiac blood testing negative July 2007

Confirmed diagnosis of wheat allergy by skin test Dec 2007

Gluten-lite since July 2007 (didn't know all the hidden sources of gluten)

Gluten-free since December 2007

Life Long Symptoms

Extreme fatigue--needing 10-12 hours of sleep and still woke up exhusted

Allergic to everything--allergies remained out of control despite shots and strict enviornmental controls in my home.

Severe "sinus" headaches

More Recent Symptoms

IBS symptoms

Severe stabbing stomach pains that started 6 months before diagnosis of wheat allergy.

In my heart I feel it is more than an allergy and that I am gluten intolerant. This is based on my how eerily my childhood maladies match most celiac's histories, and my more recent increase in the severity of my usual symptoms and new digestive symptoms that have already started to subside on the gluten-free diet.

Wow! thanks everyone for the input.... My multivitamin does contain iron, possibly that is what is bothering me. Also, good suggestion about drinking Ensure instead..perhaps I will try that. Thanks.