Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hnickol

Trying To Conceive

Hello All,

I have battled with infertility for the last three years and have been through many different medical treatments and procedures to be labeled with "unexplained infertility" My mother recently was diagnosed with gluten intolerance which lead me to start the diet about two months ago in the hopes to finally have an answer to why I haven't been able to get pregnant. I am amazed by the strange symptoms that I have had my entire life that are disappearing. I had no idea that everyone in the world didn't have loose stools after they ate, or stomach aches, or migraines, or brain fog, or boils, or dizzy spells. My blood test was negative, but as I am finding, that doesn't mean that I don't have an intolerance.

I am hoping for information about improving fertility........

Has anyone that struggled with infertility achieved a successful pregnancy after doing the diet?

What about improving ovulation without medical treatment?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

-H

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello All,

I have battled with infertility for the last three years and have been through many different medical treatments and procedures to be labeled with "unexplained infertility" My mother recently was diagnosed with gluten intolerance which lead me to start the diet about two months ago in the hopes to finally have an answer to why I haven't been able to get pregnant. I am amazed by the strange symptoms that I have had my entire life that are disappearing. I had no idea that everyone in the world didn't have loose stools after they ate, or stomach aches, or migraines, or brain fog, or boils, or dizzy spells. My blood test was negative, but as I am finding, that doesn't mean that I don't have an intolerance.

Has anyone that struggled with infertility achieved a successful pregnancy after doing the diet?

-H

I have not tried to get pregnant, however I can tell you that my amennorhea disappeared after 6 weeks on the diet. I went my entire life (from 13 to 30) with perhaps 10 periods in total. I now get a period approx every 4-6 weeks. The connection between celiac and amennorhea is still somewhat of a mystery and I am sure the infertility connection is as well.

The good thing is that my body responded positively to removing the gluten. The interesting thing is that I thought I'd cure the diarrhea after going gluten-free...the restoration of periods was a very nice surprise...even my doctor was astounded with how much damage and sensitive I am to the stuff.

I guess the only thing I can offer up here is that you be very carefull with the diet and hopefully it will all come together.

Good luck!

Hi,

I am not trying to get pregnant, but I can tell you that my fertility has improved since going off gluten (I have an ovarian cyst and can feel my egg pop-- it hadn't ovulated in months!) In talking to a doctor about this, he said that fertility improves dramatically after a body is healthy enough to have a child. Most likely it wouldn't be wise to get pregnant for 6-12 months (to allow full healing and to get the gist of going gluten free), but you should have a lot better luck conceiving very soon, IF gluten is the culprit.

Good luck!

I found out about celiac because when TTC I either couldn't get pregnant or when I did, I had a miscarriage. We were only TTC for a half a year - it will be a whole year in August so my heart goes out to you after three years! That being said there is hope! I went to a nutritionist who has me on several different supplements based on blood tests she did to see where I am deficient. I really researched this though and found one who actually knows about celiac and gluten free. Not only am I taking prenatals but I am also taking several other supplements like calcium and magnisium, B6 etc. Many people have recommened that I wait 6 months to a year to let my body heal and get better. I've been gluten-free for six months and still TTC in the meantime and nothing. Which is actually okay for now because I don't think I could handle figuring out what to eat when I'm craving a kit kat and 6 mos. pregnant. ;) i have heard that many women go on to conceive after going gluten free. remember that if the gluten free works, don't try to add gluten back into your diet esp. if you are pregnant and/or breastfeeding. good luck ttc! I hope the diet works for you. i know how hard it is to watch every one around you get pregnant "in the first month we tried" and not get discouraged but keep the faith that you will get there to!!!!

Hello All,

-H

Hello!! I am also trying to get pregnant! When I went gluten-free my previously absent periods started to act normal, so that was a great sign! But I have not gotten pregnant yet. I do believe there is a corelation (sp?) between the two. I am confidant that I will get pregnant soon (my husband has been over seas for most of our marriage, so I am blaming it on THAT! :lol: ) But he is home now, and we are seriously trying.

Good luck to you! Hope we are both having babies really soon! :)

The literature does make a connection between improved fertility prospects and a gluten-free diet. I am assuming you have ruled out male factor infertility. If not, you may want to consider a DNA fragmentation test for your husband. I believe this test is done in a lab in South Dakota and is fairly easy to do and is inexpensive. (http://www.scsadiagnostics.com/) It is much superior to traditional testing for male factor infertility.

Best of luck,

BTW I am not affiliated with SCSAdiagnostics.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

The biopsy would need to come from your small intestine. That's where the damage is done from celiac. But you need to be on a gluten diet for the tests to be accurate. How long have you been on the PPIs? My hubby had severe acid reflux issues ...
    The doctor did 8 biopsy from the top of my throat to the bottom of my stomach....he thought I had H-Hyploi..but I did not. I am beginning to think they are missing my issues. He gave me some pump inhibitors, that's it. I have an appt. with...
    Your doctor would run a blood tests (ask for full celiac panel) and then confirm with endoscopy and biopsy celiac doesn't always show up on endoscopy and sometimes the biopsy is what confirms.