Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Felidae

New Food Intolerances

I know there is a thread on tapioca intolerance. This is my new intolerance. I am curious as to why we seem to get new food intolerances. It's very annoying because we are already inconvenienced enough having to eat gluten-free. Not that I should be complaining since I feel great. But I just want to know why these things keep happening to us.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I know there is a thread on tapioca intolerance. This is my new intolerance. I am curious as to why we seem to get new food intolerances. It's very annoying because we are already inconvenienced enough having to eat gluten-free. Not that I should be complaining since I feel great. But I just want to know why these things keep happening to us.

I don't know, other than maybe the protiens in these substances may be similar and our system responds to them as aliens. You will have to wait for a better answer. :blink:

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I think it has to do with leaky gut. I don't think these additional intolerances are always permanent.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Yes, I hope they are not permanent. I was casein intolerant for the first year of being gluten-free. I have a science thinking mind and so I like to ask why. LOL

Tapioca intolerant

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

i bet non celiac people have them but are just unaware of it. People who have celiac are probably very very aware of exactly what we put in our bodies, and therefore can probably pick out better what's bothering us. (I'm sorry you're intolerant to tapioca!)

gluten-free since april 05

for the love of gluten-free rice krispies, can we all as a group realize that "celiacs" only refers to a group of people with celiac disease. it is not "celiacs or celiac's disease". it drives me nutso!

I don't really know the answer either. One reason might be that your exposure to different foods has changed. i.e. you are eating more of something now as a repacement.

My allergist has told me that a food intolerance can develop to anything that you eat more often than every 4 days.

I am hoping that after 1-2 years of strict gluten free that my allergies will calm down as it has for some people.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

I don't really know the answer either. One reason might be that your exposure to different foods has changed. i.e. you are eating more of something now as a repacement.

My allergist has told me that a food intolerance can develop to anything that you eat more often than every 4 days.

I am hoping that after 1-2 years of strict gluten free that my allergies will calm down as it has for some people.

I've heard the four day intolerance rule before. It's funny though, I eat the same homemade bread daily for five days with the same pb & j. I try to vary everything else I eat. I haven't had any other new intolerances yet. Oh it's lots of fun listening to your body. I think the previous poster is right, celiacs are very in-tune with their bodies.

Tapioca intolerant

I've read about leaky gut (intestinal permeability) being the cause of the additional intolerances as well.

The image I have in my head is that my immune system is on hyper-overdrive already from the celiac, like a swarm of bees, and so things that would get mild reaction get an intense one. Most foods we eat cause our bodies to produce antibodies, but instead of a few (in my weird mental picture) lazy bees, we get a swarm. It's not surprising that all that extra stinging would cause a problem, to my mind.

I wish I knew more about food rotation. Can anybody recommend a source? Or maybe a table? (I can barely remember what I ate yesterday, much less remember to avoid it). Ah, my poor celiac brain.

I recently had to give up green tea and decaf iced tea. Not sure why - I also cannot tolerate the calcium suppliment that is added to many OJs and non-dairy milks.

Life just can be difficult. I don't know why all these additional problems. However, I do know that if I eat too much of a food, I do develop an intolerance so I try to rotate most of my foods.

-Kate

gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:

Strawberries and Banannas (2007)

Nitrates (April 2006)

Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)

Peanuts (Nov. 2004)

Soy (Oct. 2004)

Almonds (Sept. 2004)

Corn (Sept. 2004)

Lactose/Casein (1999)

Re food rotation, I can't remember the name. But there used to be several books, and also a cookbook that followed a rotation diet...did the menus for you.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels