Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

So, has anyone out there had the EGD (endoscopy/Upper G.I.) without the sedation?

I'm not crazy about having to be sedated, not being able to legally drive for 24 hours, etc etc.

I would prefer to get in there, have them spray my throat, do the scope, & bye I'm on my way.

I've had cavities filled with only minimal Novacaine (and once without because it way minor) and

I don't freak out easily. Anyone else able to relate? Thanks!

So, has anyone out there had the EGD (endoscopy/Upper G.I.) without the sedation?

I'm not crazy about having to be sedated, not being able to legally drive for 24 hours, etc etc.

I would prefer to get in there, have them spray my throat, do the scope, & bye I'm on my way.

I've had cavities filled with only minimal Novacaine (and once without because it way minor) and

I don't freak out easily. Anyone else able to relate? Thanks!

I've had an EGD done twice while conscious. The first time, they gave me the sedative and because of my own personal medical issues, anesthesia doesn't sedate me like it does most people. They offered to try another day but we thought they were looking for colon cancer so I told them to go ahead and not wait. I was awake and gagging through the whole procedure. Yes they sprayed my throat but it didn't seem to do much.

The second time, I decided to skip the anesthesia entirely so I could go back to work after (we were in the middle of a special project). I had thought the anesthesia hadn't done anything for me but I found out it lessoned the gagging and lowered my blood pressure. I had red spots on the skin around my eyes and in my eyes for the next few weeks from gagging so hard. And I tried to work but felt so crappy I took the rest of the day off.

Next time, even though the anesthesia doesn't knock me out, I'm taking it because it helps my body deal with having a garden hose down my throat for a half hour. IMO, blood pressure spikes aren;t healthy.

I am one of those people who just could not handle having the scope without being fully out. IMO, I was already seriously sick, felt terrible, and really confussed if I should hope they found celiacs or not. So for me, they knocked me out, did the procedure, I woke up and was told he thougt I had celiacs and start the diet the official results would be a few weeks. My head was a mess, happy they found something, but felt like death after the procedure. I wouldn't have driven even if I was allowed.

You sound like the idea of being sedated is not worth the trouble for you. I'm sure the dr would do the scope without the sedation if requested. If you feel like crap after, you can always go to bed for the rest of the day.

Either way, good luck on your Egd.

I had four wisdom teeth pulled at once with only local injections. No problem. But the EGD kicks off your gag reflex really badly. (FWIW, I've had an EGD but they weren't looking for celiac.) I was in twilight sleep for mine and it was still horrible. Not pain, really. Think of the worst nausea you've ever had and multiply it by 10. Plan some time for yourself to stay home and rest afterwards. It takes a lot out of you.

I had a friend that had it done without sedation and had a terrible time of it. No way would I even attempt it. I just had one the other day - totally knocked out, along with a flex sig and don't remember a thing, thank God. I didn't even feel that groggy afterwards, although I was very weak from not having eaten in over 24 hours. I didn't experience any throat pain or irritation either.

I have had half a dozen endoscopies, but the only one I remember was when I was 11 weeks pregnant. They could not give me as much sedation because of the baby. I remember gagging and struggling quite a bit. I would not want to try it without any sedation at all.

I just got my biopsy done today and I did it without any sedatives. I am only 19 and I did fine. The nurses and everyone kept asking me if I was sure I did not want any sedatives. I feel like they make a big deal about nothing. The procedure was not to bad. The tube was kind of uncomforable and you have to remember to breathe. The tube was only down my throat for 3 min. I would do it again this way if I needed to do it again.

I have had 2 done without sedation. They sprayed my throat twice as much, which helped a lot. I knew in advance that I would be gagging a lot, so I was very conscious of trying to relax my stomach muscles and breathing. I had a lot of saliva, much more than I'd expected, and I was able to communicate that to the nurse so that she could suction it out--that helped, too. I also brought a celiac disease and headphones, but I was so fascinated by what I was able to see on the TV monitor, I didn't pay much attention to my celiac disease!

It was REALLY nice being able to get up and go home.

Oh, they did put an IV- port-with nothing attached to it--in my wrist just in case they needed to knock me out, but they never used it.

Hey all,

I just did both an EGD and colonoscopy without sedation. Here's what I have to say about them:

EGD: This was rather unpleasant. I was gagging and drooling the whole time and felt like throwing up (but I couldn't because my stomach was empty). However, the good thing is that it was really fast. It only took about 2 minutes. I was really amazed by how fast the doc managed to do it. So anyways, it was two minutes of serious discomfort. I think it was worth it to do it without sedation and just be able to walk away and drive home instead of having to recover from sedation meds.

Colonoscopy: This was easier than the EGD. Most of the time it did not hurt at all. At one point the cable got a loop in it and the doc had to wiggle it around a lot to get it straightened out. That part did hurt. It was about like having really bad gas cramps. Once he got it straightened out it was fine again. He let me watch the monitor the whole time and explained everything I was seeing. It was really neat to see the inside of my intestines! I'm definitely glad I was awake for this.

Afterwards I feel fine except my throat is mildy soar. My final take would be that probably most people could do the colonoscopy without sedation. For the EGD it just depends what your tolerance for discomfort is. It wasn't fun but I got through it.

-Rox