Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sclark9602

Possibly Glutened From Gum

Okay you guys! Yesterday I gave my daughter the new Cobalt gum by Wrigleys and she's had diarrhea since. Yesterday she had it 3 times and today she's had it twice. She said that she hasn't had a bad headache or anything with it but mainly the diarrhea. I'm afraid that I've glutened her with this gum. I can't find any info. about this gum other than what's on the pkg. and I thought it looked fine. It's brand new so I can't find info. online either. Does anyone know anything about this and if it has gluten???????

Thanks.

Okay you guys! Yesterday I gave my daughter the new Cobalt gum by Wrigleys and she's had diarrhea since. Yesterday she had it 3 times and today she's had it twice. She said that she hasn't had a bad headache or anything with it but mainly the diarrhea. I'm afraid that I've glutened her with this gum. I can't find any info. about this gum other than what's on the pkg. and I thought it looked fine. It's brand new so I can't find info. online either. Does anyone know anything about this and if it has gluten???????

Thanks.

I don't recognize that variety of Wrigley's gum, but I know their other flavors are gluten free. However I stopped chewing both the sugar free and the supposed sugar based gums after I realized I reacted badly (cramps and diarrhea) to sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol and other 'tol' artificial sweetners. At one time only the sugar free gums used those sorbitol like sweetners. However after reacting badly to Wrigley's 'Big Red' (sugar sweetened) gum, I checked the label. Sure enough they added mannitol to the sugar gum base. That caused my reaction. I suspect celiacs who have 'leaky gut' react badly to sorbitol. A sorbitol absorption test is used to detect leaky gut.

BURDEE

afraid all chewing gum is out, I also cannot chew gum anymore because of the artificial sugar.

I also do not use toothpaste for that reason, I use baking soda, if it is good enough for Oprah...

It was just on the news here that children should not use toothpaste. they should brush with water & floss. thought you might like to know that as most all toothpaste contains chemicals & artificial sweetner.

I agree. Most toothpastes contain artificial sweetners, especially the alcohol derived sweetners which cause bloating, cramping and gas. However Tom's of Maine toothpastes for kids (Strawberry or Mango? flavors) do NOT contain any artificial sweetners or flavorings. I used those without any side effects for the past 3 years.

BURDEE

FYI..... cut and paste from the Wrigley's website, just b/c I looked for myself and figured I'd see if there was a posting to add this to:

Do your products contain gluten?

The following is a list of U.S. Wrigley products that are free of any wheat, oat, rye or barley gluten:

Wrigley's Spearmint