Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luisa2552

Whole Foods Gluten-free List

Last week I picked up the most recently updated Gluten Free list form my local Whole Foods. I was dismayed to see Rice Dream brand rice milk on there. <_< I used to drink the Organic Original Enriched (quart size you buy from the shelves). I continued to drink in after my diagnoses, never thinking to check the label. After not getting much better I started checking labels more closely and found the drink to contain gluten from barley protein-clearly labeled on the container. I felt like an idiot for not checking sooner.

I emailed Whole Foods and told them to take it off their list. I have not heard back from them but I got to wondering what else on there shouldn't be on there. Obviously I'll check labels but what about things that are labeled to include 'spices'. If they are on this list, should I trust them? :(

Guest j_mommy

Everyone makes mistakes..with this disease you have to be VERY careful....even if it says gluten-free I always check b/c you just never know!!!

I look at it as a 'tool'. It is my responsibility to check labels, heck the list is atleast a starting point. I wouldn't hold it against them too much. Central Market had Kellogg's Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes on they're list. I don't think there is anyway it will ever be perfect unless we just eliminate gluten from the planet ;) wishful thinking..

I thought I read on this board that Rice dream is now gluten free? Apparently they changed the production process or ingredients or whatever (I don't drink rice milk, so didn't really pay attention) but anyway, are you sure it isn't gluten free? Sometimes products change for the better... :)

Pauliina

No, it says it right on the label-' contains gluten from barley protein at less that .002%' and to me that's not gluten free. Keep in mind this is not the stuff out of the fridge. I buy the shelved one so maybe it's something about that one. I check labels, but how do you all deal with the stuff that has 'spices' and 'natural flavorings'. If they are on this list, do you think they're safe to try?