This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From Pittsburgh, Pa

Rupe

Rupe Newbie

Can anyone recommend a good store to buy gluten food products and viatmins?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

There is a great bakery in Northeastern PA, which has to die for baked goods. They do mail orders too.

The name of the company is The Grainless Baker.

You may be able to get their products in a store near you as well. I am from Central PA so I am not sure of actual stores in your area. I do use grainless baker products alot and they are wonderful.

Rupe Newbie
There is a great bakery in Northeastern PA, which has to die for baked goods. They do mail orders too.

The name of the company is The Grainless Baker.

You may be able to get their products in a store near you as well. I am from Central PA so I am not sure of actual stores in your area. I do use grainless baker products alot and they are wonderful.

Thank you! <_<

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

Are you new to the celiac world? I live in Butler Pa & shop in Pittsburgh. First off their is Whole Foods & the East End coop. Sunnybridge has a large gluten-free store in McMurray Pa. Then in Mt Pleasant is the Herbalicious which has alot of gluten-free products. Trader Joe's is also available. There is a store in Indiana , Pa that carries alot of gluten-free products also.

Giant Eagle in Cranberry has a gluten-free section. Frankferd Farms in SAxonburg ,Pa carries gluten-free.

I do alot of mailorder to get the cream of the crop in gluten-free. I also do some mentoring if you need help , please send me a private pm with any ???'s.

There is a seminar coming up in Oct at the airport Holiday Inn....

Bravo in Mt. Lebanon has a big gluten-free menu...

mamaw

jesse Newbie

i'm from pittsburgh too,

there is a store called gluuteny which just opened up i believe this past weekend its in squirrel hill.

i havent gone there yet, but i do believe they have a website.

for food i usually go to whole foods and for flours i go to the chinese shop right across the street from wholey's. they got white rice flour, tapioca flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, and other stuff too. the flours are well priced at 59 cents for one pound bag.

i need to find a place that sells redbridge in pittsburgh for friday, ozzfest, as i am not paying six dollars a beer at store. if anyone knows where to buy this please point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

peace,

jdog

gffamily Rookie

jdog,

I live in the north hills. We buy Redbridge from McTeigh's on Route 8 in the Glenshaw area. My husband made a deal with the owner there who now stocks a couple cases, and we agreed to buy from him instead of pay $4 more a case from Save On Beer on McKnight road. (I think we pay $24 a case, but I could be wrong. My dh usually picks it up.)

Anyway, they always have it in stock now.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the show!

gffamily Rookie

Jesse,

I'm sorry I wrote the wrong name!

Spaced out again I guess...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gffamily Rookie
Jesse,

I'm sorry I wrote the wrong name!

Spaced out again I guess...

looked at the signature again... boy I really should just go back to bed

Have fun at Ozzfest!!!!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

For gluten-free flours, I go to Lotus (Asian grocery) in the Strip. Super-fine white rice flour (the only kind they have!), tapioca starch, potato starch are each 69 cents for a 1-pound bag. They have cornstarch here in 1/2-pound bags, too--stays fresher than in the cardboard boxes in Giant Eagle.

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Here in Central Pa there is a bakery called Gluten Free 4 Me which makes to die for food, and they do ship. The website is at:

www.glutenfree4me.com

The baker is a mom of several celiacs who started the business and they are soon moving to a much bigger facility, it's been so successful. Those of you traveling to State College for football season also should know that right out on E. College, as you come past the 322 exchange/bypass, is Nature's Pantry, which carries a huge selection of gluten-free stuff

Here in Central Pa there is a bakery called Gluten Free 4 Me which makes to die for food, and they do ship. The website is at:

www.glutenfree4me.com

The baker is a mom of several celiacs who started the business and they are soon moving to a much bigger facility, it's been so successful. Those of you traveling to State College for football season also should know that right out on E. College, as you come past the 322 exchange/bypass, is Nature's Pantry, which carries a huge selection of gluten-free stuff

another central pa celiac, welcome :)

ryebaby0 Enthusiast
another central pa celiac, welcome :)

Oh, now, I've been here longer than dirt ~ but thanks for the "welcome" anyway ...

joanna

Malky Newbie

Hi!

I'm newly gluten-free, and really appreciate all the info. on this thread for Celiacs in Pittsburgh and beyond.

I am an East-End girl, but have yet to try out the new bakery in Squirrel Hill (shameful, in that I work two blocks away!).

Does anyone know of any other restaurants besides the Bravos in Mt. Lebo that has any gluten-free menu items?

Thank you much in advance!

(I got gluten'd this evening. Blargh.)

Oh, now, I've been here longer than dirt ~ but thanks for the "welcome" anyway ...

joanna

:) Have you been to the Gluten Free Soruce in dillsburg yet? I love that store and the owners are wonderful.

kimetime Newbie

Did Gluuteny open yet? Every time I go past, it looks like no work has been done. Eat N Park has a gluten free list on the back of its regular menu (explain to the server though....mine brought crackers with my soup) and Qdoba has a fairly comprehensive gluten-free list in their allergen handout. (naked veggie burrito!)

Also, a restaurant has just opened near my house (Spanish/International/Tapas). I haven't been there, but a gluten intolerant co-worker has, and loved it. Costa del Sol in Shadyside. It's a little pricey, but has a large tapas selection with lots of fresh (wheatless!) ingredients. They have a menu posted outside.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

I'm from Butler but shop in Pgh often. Glutteny is or was supposed to open at the end of Aug 07. I haven't been down for a month so I'm not sure...

Have you tried Bravo at the galleria, Mt. Lebanon? I really enjoyed the gluten-free food...

Are you new to celiacs?? I do some mentoring if you need any help....

mamaw

I called 1-800-FREE-411 and got the number for Gluuteny (which I left at work--sorry!), and called them. They have are waiting on red-tape stuff from the city of Pittsburgh, according to their answering machine, and hope to open very soon.

I can't wait!!!

Aha--looks like they are opening on September 15th!

www.gluuteny.com

Wow, Eat n Park has a gluten-free menu, what are the options like? We have one of those across the river.

zansu Rookie

I stopped by Gluuteny today thinking they would be open.... As you say, prob another two weeks. But the place is still a mess!

And I don't know that I'd trust Eat 'N Park. When we eat out we do Bravo's (Mt Lebo, don't like the waterfront), McCormick and Schmidt (not too often!), PFChangs, Chipotle, or Mitchell's (waterfront -- Mt Lebo messed me up).

I stopped by Gluuteny today thinking they would be open.... As you say, prob another two weeks. But the place is still a mess!

And I don't know that I'd trust Eat 'N Park. When we eat out we do Bravo's (Mt Lebo, don't like the waterfront), McCormick and Schmidt (not too often!), PFChangs, Chipotle, or Mitchell's (waterfront -- Mt Lebo messed me up).

The have a website--www.gluuteny.com. Check it out before you trek out there and save yourself a trip! :)

jesse Newbie

gluuteny.com has posted Sept. 22 @ 2 P.M. they open. I plan on going sometime in the evening.....

ozzfest was great, got some good footage w/ zack wild doing the national anthem, road to nowhere, and this drunk guy behind me the whole way through!!! kinda reminded be of a weird simpsons episode somehow....

BIGGEST MOSH PIT OZZFEST 07..... only in Pittsburgh..

peace,

jdog

Glad to hear Ozzfest rocked! It sounds like you had a lot of fun Jesse.

kimetime Newbie
Wow, Eat n Park has a gluten-free menu, what are the options like? We have one of those across the river.

Eat N Park has some basics....nothing very exciting. A few omelets, grilled chicken, chicken and portobella salad, some fish. My friends and I liked to go there for coffe, studying, late-night snacks....and we still do occasionally. Not a great selection, but it's nice to have a few safe options instead of just watching them eat. I've been there twice since going gluten-free, and they haven't glutened me yet.

Archived