Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loco_ladi

Anyone Live Next To A Wheat Field?

OK, long story short version....

I sold my house (gotta be outta here the 15th of next month)

Found the MOST beautiful house I have ever seen and the bank said if you want it then you can have it!

Here is the problem....

Its completely surrounded by "pivots" and generally they grow wheat in the corners.... so....

I don't "think" it will be an issue while its generally growing, but what about harvest time? anyone know? It only has a 8 1/2 acre lot so its not like I have much "control area" I have been thinking about planting trees around the edges to block the wind, but thats going to block my view as well which is one of the nice things about this place......

OK people shoot me some knowledge I NEED IT!

Um, the only thing I can think of is weedkiller, or whatever might kill wheat?

Heeheeheeheee...oh so many jokes in my head, thanks for the laugh. :D

Anyone know if Michael Moore is a celiac?

Sorry to add bad news, but I lived next to a wheat field once (before I knew I had celiac)....it is the sickest I've ever been. Now, I don't know whether it had anything to do with inhaled proteins or anything, that's just the time I was sickest in my life. I got to where I couldn't eat anything without being doubled over in pain and I had bad tingling in the hands and awful constant eye twitches. It was such a cute house, though-- a little farmhouse in the English countryside. Another bad issue I had while I was there was intense itching in my legs, especially after a shower. Now I know it's called pruritis and it's associated with celiac-- something to do with deficiencies that make keratin in the skin abnormal. It's also related to climate too-- cold and dry (inside) in winter. It was worse in that house than other places I stayed in the area and I was convinced it had something to do with the water (could water get contaminated with wheat?-- maybe that's farfetched).

I'm not sure how much of this applies to the house you're considering, but I'd beware of exposing yourself to the wheat. I'm putting in an offer on my dream house right now and I know how it is, though. Good luck!

Loco_ladi--tis your call! I lived in the country, with wheat and corn fields and I have allergies, which I did suffer. Now I live on Long Island, with a salt breeze, which they say is the best there is for allergy sufferers and I still suffer from allergies. So, it's hard to say. For most of the year, you will love your new home. During harvest season and for sometime after, you may not. After the wheat is harvested, then they will, more than likely, use the base product for baling into straw for animal bedding and this is very dusty and puts so much into the air. Me, I would not move there. I would try to find a place surrounded by woods, something like that.

Sorry, only my thoughts.

I live in Kansas,wheat capital of the nation. Not only that, there are 2 flour mills in my town, one a block away. There is always dust in the air, we run air cleaners like mad fiends. I am looking for another job away from here but who knows when. You just do the best you can.

Loco_ladi--tis your call! I lived in the country, with wheat and corn fields and I have allergies, which I did suffer. Now I live on Long Island, with a salt breeze, which they say is the best there is for allergy sufferers and I still suffer from allergies.

Sorry, only my thoughts.

Agreed. Could probably clock you around Ellwsorth, ME. :D

Agreed. Could probably clock you around Ellwsorth, ME. :D

Sorry, it's Ellsworth and not goldenrod, it'sa ragweed!

Yecch!

Yearning for January in a strange kind of way.

Margaret

Well, its my 1 year anniversaary in the new house....

We has wheat in the "corner" behind the house last year, we were here for the planting.... no noticable problems...

here for the growing..... no problems

here for the budding..... no problems

here for the maturing..... no problems

here for the harvesting.... OMG had a flashback of my hayfever when I lived in maine..... solution.... hello air conditioner all windows and doors stay closed and my truck got parked in the attached garage rather than outside of the house.... exit side door into garage, enter truck put up door, head to work.... reverse on the way home, lol

Matter of fact hubby helped a friend haul wheat this year, solution.......

arrive home.... change clothes in garage.... immediately enter shower upon entering house..... wash clothes at work not at home, wasn't a perfect solution but his friend needed help and it didn't bother me to badly.