Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sally's Mommy

Negative Enterolab Test

I have posted here off and on, questioning whether or not my daughter and I have problems with gluten sensitivity. I finally ordered the Enterolab test, and it came back negative! I wanted to post this, because I know the question often comes up wondering whether or not anyone ever gets a negative test from them. Well, I did! I'm relieved, but still wondering what's up with me. I do have psoriasis, and I do have loose stool (in fact, that was the one "positive" on my Enterolab test--my fecal fat score). I'm not sure what to make of that, but I guess I'll have to play around with my diet and figure out what's up there.

Anyway, yes Enterolab DOES come back negative for some people! Hope that helps someone on the fence about testing with them.

That is so weird! I was just going to post that question. "Has anyone ever gotten a negative result from Enterolab" I just got mine back today, they were positive. Just confirmed what I thought. Now my husband will be even more supportive. :P

hi there, my tests were negative as well, by one point, however my gene screening came back that im a DQ8, sooooo i talked to the nurse there and she told me that i probably caught it early a year from now the numbers would probably be higher, so i have been gluten free for 6 months now and feel much better. good luck in your search, i hope you are feeling better soon,

I have posted here off and on, questioning whether or not my daughter and I have problems with gluten sensitivity. I finally ordered the Enterolab test, and it came back negative! I wanted to post this, because I know the question often comes up wondering whether or not anyone ever gets a negative test from them. Well, I did! I'm relieved, but still wondering what's up with me. I do have psoriasis, and I do have loose stool (in fact, that was the one "positive" on my Enterolab test--my fecal fat score). I'm not sure what to make of that, but I guess I'll have to play around with my diet and figure out what's up there.

Anyway, yes Enterolab DOES come back negative for some people! Hope that helps someone on the fence about testing with them.

Did you get the casein test to, or just the basic stool testing with the malabsorption. Casein could be causing the malabsorption. Would you mind posting all of your scores. It could be possible that maybe u are just IGa deficient and still be reacting to gluten.

paula

Would you mind posting all of your scores. It could be possible that maybe u are just IGa deficient and still be reacting to gluten.

paula

Sure--here are my results:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 9 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 399 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Cow's Milk Protein Sensitivity Stool Test

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 8 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Acute/Chronic Colitis Stool Test

Fecal lactoferrin Negative (Normal - Negative)

I did not get the gene testing done. Maybe I should have, but from what I've seen on here (and several months back there was a big discussion about this) pretty much everyone shows up as having genes that could predispose them to celiac disease. Right? :blink:

Just have to add that I called and talked with the nurse at Enterolab because so many people in my family got tested and the results would be borderline postive except for one person that was borderline negative. My question to her was if it was possible that showed a trend towards possible low IGA since it is genetic. She thought it might so I went to my Dr. and had my total IGA tested. It came back as about 67 the first time and 71 the second time I had it rechecked, with the lower end of normal being 80. So it was low, but not super low. It would be enough to skew the results of the test however. Even though my symptoms were so severe and I am super sensitive to gluten I only scored an 11 which didn't quite match up, but having low IGA explained why my numbers were so low and yet I improved so much.

Just another factor to consider as someone mentioned. I think celiacs are 10 times more likely to have low IGA if I remember right.

Sure--here are my results:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 9 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 399 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Cow's Milk Protein Sensitivity Stool Test

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 8 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Acute/Chronic Colitis Stool Test

Fecal lactoferrin Negative (Normal - Negative)

I did not get the gene testing done. Maybe I should have, but from what I've seen on here (and several months back there was a big discussion about this) pretty much everyone shows up as having genes that could predispose them to celiac disease. Right? :blink:

I had the Enterolab test done also. I was in the normal range also, even though they told me my Fecal Fat score was 435. I had the gene test and they told me I had 2 gluten intolerant genes. HA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 9,5) they told me I had no active gluten sensitivity. I had been gluten free about 5 months and gluten light for years.

I have been gluten free almost a year now, and I do know that if I accidently consume gluten in even small amounts I bloat up, get D, get a sharp pain down my leg, get back aches and feel tired this lasts for days up to 2 weeks. I also break out in clusters of small blisters the itch terribly and turn bright red/purple, usually on my hands, arms, stomach, legs and recently foot. Despite what Entrolab says, I strongly suspect I have Celiacs and dont plan to change my diet. I cant even imagine what eating gluten again on purpose would do! I am not going to pursue a diagnosis because we are retiring in the next 5 years and will need to find insurance.

Good luck, I hope you find what is wrong.

Peggy

i would say you are pretty borderline, talk with the nurse at entrolab and get her thoughts. their are pretty helpfull there, GOOD LUCK