Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amberleigh

Do I Need To Worry About Toiletries If I Don't Have Dh?

if it's not affecting my skin, am I okay? I checked through my stuff today and didn't see anything that looked like gluten in the ingredients, but I find it hard to believe that I really don't own anything that has gluten in it. Maybe I'm not looking for the right things? Is it different from foods?

I've been D-free for over a month now just by altering my diet, but not altering my toiletries. So do you think I'm "in the clear"? Thanks! Still so new at this :rolleyes:

Amberleigh, I personally think it does make a difference, and I will not choose things for myself that have gluten in, even if they are cosmetics.

I do not have DH, but I used to get little pimply spots in my hair. I had been gluten free for about a month and most of my little niggles, except for the D had dissappeared but I still had little sores in my hair. I wasn't too worried as I had noticed a couple of minor rashes had cleared up and thought the hair spots would go soon. But I had been washing my hair and I noticed the shampoo or conditioner had wheat starch in them. That was my eureka moment so I changed almost immediately and bought some sensitive shampoo and those spots were gone in a week. I was so pleased. But then if I use normal shampoo which does not appear to be labelled with wheat, it does seems to make me itch again over time, so more often than not I use sensitive shampoo for sensitive scalps.

I know this does not quite answer your question, but when you think about it, you wash you hair with your hands and hands quite often are near your mouth and then there is a chance that your shampoo could gluten you. Same with lotions etc.

I can't say you are in the clear, but it sounds good that your D has gone, I think it is a personal choice and because I had noticeable results by avoiding wheat in shampoo etc, I choose to avoid, not having those reasons to avoid I might have done it different.

Cathy

Guest j_mommy

I like what Dana Korn said in her book about this topic....if it bothers you don't use it(as far as topicals are concerned).

I totally agree you shoudl watch your lipstick and toothpaste. I ,PERSONALLY, don't check my lotions, shampoos, toilet paper, paper towels ect. I have not had any issues.

I do think it affects some people.

So in the end it's your choice!