This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am Impressed....

Guest Happynwgal2

Guest Happynwgal2

I've had a lot of time to spend on these boards this weekend, and will have more time to do so tomorrow, Labor Day. (I am getting over a nasty virus, so no fun for me this weekend..)

I am REALLY impressed with the postings I read here. So many dilligent people trying to cope with something that is such a huge challenge. And I am impressed with the fortitude of many here - and the "never give up" attitude that I read about again and again.

My hat off to all of you! You are truly an inspiration to me, and I thank you all for your insights, your wisdom, your openness about your frustrations, and your willingness to share your lives with us all. This all helps me so much - some days I wish I did not have this gluten thing in my life, and some days I miss Little Debbies snack cakes (the Boston Cremes after I put them in the fridge for a couple of hours... yum... sigh...), or good old fashioned pizza, or just plain warm bread - wheat bread!!!! - straight from the oven...

Yet, I know I am not alone, and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate reading all the postings here. Dealing with Celiac is so much easier when I don't feel alone...

So to all of you: THANK YOU!!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rsm Newbie

We have a lot in common. I worked in a bakery during high school and have been addicted to good bread my entire life. I'll be 50 in a couple of weeks and have lived "sick" for many decades. I was told as a teenager that I had an ulcer, later IBS, then pernicious anemia. Literally decades of the big "D" after every other meal. My oldest daughter made the celiac connection, both of my daughters suffer with this, and now being gluten free for almost 6 months I am seeing real changes. I am now lactose intolerant as well! This board has been a great asset and source of wisdom for me. The knowledge and encouragement has helped me get where I am now. I would probably still be suffering from hidden gluten if this board were not here to give guidance.

mamaw Community Regular

We are glad to have you as a member & I too think this is a very smart group of friends on here.......

You still can have a good piece of hot bread from the oven or a good pizza........you just need to keep tasting & trying until you find the taste you are dreaming of.... I found it in Everybody Eats crusty rolls & baguettes. For a good sandwich ( hamburger bun) I simply love the rolls from Against the grain gourmet...Plus there are so many recipes out there from wonderful cooks that I think I can make just about anything I'm craving.....

Now I haven't tried this yet but do a search for Better Batter gluten-free flour. I have heard so many good reports about this flour... I did post the info in the publication section on this site. I beleive I wrote check out this site for the topic......

good luck

mamaw

Guest Happynwgal2
We have a lot in common. I worked in a bakery during high school and have been addicted to good bread my entire life. I'll be 50 in a couple of weeks and have lived "sick" for many decades. I was told as a teenager that I had an ulcer, later IBS, then pernicious anemia. Literally decades of the big "D" after every other meal. My oldest daughter made the celiac connection, both of my daughters suffer with this, and now being gluten free for almost 6 months I am seeing real changes. I am now lactose intolerant as well! This board has been a great asset and source of wisdom for me. The knowledge and encouragement has helped me get where I am now. I would probably still be suffering from hidden gluten if this board were not here to give guidance.

Hi RMS,

Yeah, it sounds like we DO have a lot in common - unfortunately in a way... :o I wish I did not have this gluten thing, but am SO happy that I finally found out that it was not "in my head" like some doctors told me... So I also AM happy that I do have a lot in common with you!!!!

Talking about bakeries: my family in Norway where I grew up, owned a bakery and two small stores - all three were closed before I was born, but my father's main staple in life was freshly baked white bread with a crispy crust... I love it, as well - always have... My father was a master baker and candy maker, educated in Germany in the early 1930's... And I am sure you have heard about the good German bakeries...

You and I are only 5 years apart in age - I will be 55 in December, and I have been sick since I was a little girl. Few people understand what it is like to get so sick after eating "normal" food that you want to die... And embarrassing... oh my... I remember one time when I was at a friends house for Thanksgiving... Her cooking was wonderful, and the meal beyond delicious - it was SOOOO good.

But guess what? Just 15-20 minutes later I was in her bathroom with diarrhea and stomach cramps that were the worst I had had in a long time. Since I did not want to offend her, and since I did not know at all what made me so sick, I hid it from her, and never said anything... The day was ruined and it took all I had to "cover up" for myself...

Yes, just like you, I see a lot that helps me on this board. I think one of the things I appreciate more than anything is the fact that everybody on here UNDERSTAND me - and I them.... We all know what it's like to get so sick that you never want to eat again... but of course you have to, and then you go through the same stuff again... until you find out that GLUTEN is the culprit...

My second husband (we were only married for two LONG years... I finally kicked him out...) told me that I could not possibly get sick from food that God has created for us.... :angry:<_<:wacko: Sigh...

Guest Happynwgal2
We are glad to have you as a member & I too think this is a very smart group of friends on here.......

You still can have a good piece of hot bread from the oven or a good pizza........you just need to keep tasting & trying until you find the taste you are dreaming of.... I found it in Everybody Eats crusty rolls & baguettes. For a good sandwich ( hamburger bun) I simply love the rolls from Against the grain gourmet...Plus there are so many recipes out there from wonderful cooks that I think I can make just about anything I'm craving.....

Now I haven't tried this yet but do a search for Better Batter gluten-free flour. I have heard so many good reports about this flour... I did post the info in the publication section on this site. I beleive I wrote check out this site for the topic......

good luck

mamaw

Hi Mamaw,

Thanks for the info about the Better Batter - I will send it on to my oldest daughter, the talented now gluten free cook in our family... (it amazes me how she can throw things together and make the most delicious tasting meal - gluten free or not... she did not inherit the "cooking gene" from me... her grandma was a great cook, so that's where it must come from... :P )

I know I can have freshly baked gluten-free bread, straight out of the oven... my only problem is that I cannot have yeast... :angry::( My oldest daughter has made some very good gluten free bread, and I have had a few pieces, but my stomach rebells... perhaps some day when my gut is healed, I can try yeast bread again...

imsohungry Collaborator

Well, what can I say Happy Gal...we're lucky to have you too! :) We can never have too much support!

I'm glad this group is here also...I have multiple disabilities, and this is the only site I participate on where there doesn't seem to be constant bickering. Of course, we have diligent moderators on the forum...so we have to behave. ;):P

I'm a whirlwind of trouble in the kitchen, but there is always someone here to tell me that they've "been there."

Your family history is so interesting! We'll enjoy having your input here! B)

Welcome to the boards.

Blessings. -Julie

mommida Enthusiast

I just want to welcome you to the board too. Have you tried any of the Chebe bread mixes they are gluten and yeast free?

Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Dear Happynwgal2,

I'm so glad you found us! :)

You sound a lot like me--I was sick with "something" for years--but not diagnosed until I was 49--2 years ago. When I stumbled on this board I was blown away that there were others like me--and you're so right about this being easier to deal with when we aren't alone.

Your Thanksgiving story sounds so very familiar to me--I know what it feels like to be so ill and not wanting anyone to know. For a while there, even I thought I was crazy :D;) And even though it's a challange, it's so much better to finally know what the problem is and realize that there is something that will help.

I also have multiple food sensitivites--a leaky gut from years of eating gluten and being prescribed steroids <_< . I love The Gluten Free Pantry line--the ingredients are pretty simple. Their French Bread is my favorite :)

Guest Happynwgal2
... this is the only site I participate on where there doesn't seem to be constant bickering. Of course, we have diligent moderators on the forum...so we have to behave. ;):P

Your family history is so interesting! We'll enjoy having your input here! B)

Welcome to the boards.

Blessings. -Julie

Hi Julie,

In regard to the bickering: I do appreciate that here - there is disagreement, but very politely. I have noticed when somebody does not understand what a person is doing, they ask in a polite way - that is SOO refreshing...

In regard to my family history: did you click on my web site? I am trying to write a book about my father, but have a lot of research to do first... My father's legacy is part of who I am - and also part of why I never gave up my stubborn search for answers about my health when some doctors just brushed me off... So in spite of it all, I have a lot of my father in me... sigh... but the good parts of him!!!! :P

Continued happy Labor Day! :)

Guest Happynwgal2
Dear Happynwgal2,

I'm so glad you found us! :)

You sound a lot like me--I was sick with "something" for years--but not diagnosed until I was 49--2 years ago. When I stumbled on this board I was blown away that there were others like me--and you're so right about this being easier to deal with when we aren't alone.

Your Thanksgiving story sounds so very familiar to me--I know what it feels like to be so ill and not wanting anyone to know. For a while there, even I thought I was crazy :D;) And even though it's a challange, it's so much better to finally know what the problem is and realize that there is something that will help.

I also have multiple food sensitivites--a leaky gut from years of eating gluten and being prescribed steroids <_< . I love The Gluten Free Pantry line--the ingredients are pretty simple. Their French Bread is my favorite :)

Hi JerseyAngel,

I can so understand this sentence of yours: ""For a while there, even I thought I was crazy"" I've been there, done that... Sad that so many of us go through such doubts about ourselves before we finally figure out what is wrong with our bodies, NOT our minds!!! B):blink:

I am not sure what a "leaky gut" is, but I don't think I have it... but I do have several things I simply cannot eat...

Thanks for the tip about the Gluten Free Pantry - I will try it. :)

Archived