Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sickchick

Yay Blood Test Tomorrow!

I am so happy :):):)

Guest thatchickali

So you're having the blood test to see if you really have Celiac??

Did they make you start eating gluten again before you get it?

I do hope the answer to whether you are still on gluten is yes. There is a risk of a false negative even if you are consuming it on a regular basis. Please be sure if you have not already that you give the diet a good shot after all your testing is over.

Guest thatchickali

I had a negative blood test, stool testing is the most accurate way of testing.

Guest thatchickali

Stool sampling is the most accurate way at this time to test for celiac disease

Stool sampling is the most accurate way at this time to test for celiac disease

Ali,

There are three ways to test/diagnose for Celiac Disease.

1. Blood Test

2. Endoscopy for a Biopsy

3. Positive Dietary Response.

If you are refering to Enterolabs stool testing, yes they can test for gluten sensitivity and other sensitivities, but they cannot and do not claim to diagnose Celiac Disease.

Guest thatchickali

I just worded it wrong, it is the best for detecting gluten intolerance/sensitivity

Well my ND and I decided it's a good place to start. She rolled her eyes when I brought in the Dr Green book so I am hoping and yes I have been a gluten-eating maniac and I spent half of last night in the bathroom. I just don't want to drag it on any longer then necessary and if she isn't convinced I have it by the day we get the lab results back (she's testing for 5 different things) then I will take my money and go see someone else.

And if the tests are positive, then that's good enough for me :)

Thanks everyone for your support B)

Guest thatchickali

Well it's good that you are getting the blood test, but if you can tell that eating gluten makes you sick and being off it makes you better, well I'd stay off it no matter what the blood test says. I know it would be exciting to have a definate diagnosis, but it sounds like you've found your solution!

Good luck!

Well if the nitwit can't even pay attention when you say you have a sensitivity to wheat, I'd can her and find someone else, even if it's a conventional doctor. My 'conventional' doctor was PROUD of me for figuring it out myself, he didn't insist on tests because he didn't want to mess up my life insurance in the future with an official diagnosis, and has referred to me as celiac since. I have the best doctor in the world though, who only ever prescribed me ANYTHING when I asked for anti nausea medication and once when I had a UTI. He didn't act like he could 'fix' me with drugs. Anyone in the Hartford Ct area is welcome to PM me and get his name!

B) Way to go JNBunnie1

I think MommaGoose is the anti Enterolab police of this forum - heaven forbid that anyone that does not have an actual positive biopsy think they might have celiac. We must just be a bunch of Enterolab diagnosed hypochondriacs. well maybe except for my one friend that is double DQ1 & positive biopsy & then positive thru Enterolab for gluten and dairy. Oh NO, wait, although she has a positive biopsy it must be only gluten intolerance because she does not have DQ2 or DQ8, okay maybe it is just in her head too...

But what I really think is that anyone smart enough to quit eating gluten before the villi are damaged should not care what anyone says that had to wait to get a positive biobsy before listening to what their body was telling them & then to down play the suffering of others.

Dear sickchick,

We are pulling for you! :) Let us know when the results come in! I am sure all will be anxious to hear! Meanwhile, keep in mind, the antibody tests can be negative even if you are Celiac. That is what happened to me. I could have started the diet nearly seven years ago had I had this doctor at the time!

What was worse, we spent $300 to send my blood to a special lab said to know more about Celiac than anywhere. I become violently ill from even a microscopic speck of gluten. I always had a feeling those test results were wrong. For the past year, I have seen a holistic physician, and she pointed me in the right direction. She knows with the typical history of a Celiac, and the digestive problems in my family and other conditions, that I am Celiac. I used to be anemic, I have Thyroid disease, I have had ovarian cysts, and my teeth began going bad during the last several years, where I never had problems with my teeth before.

What is frightening to me is how many doctors who are GIs had no idea about Celiac, yet claim to be experts on it. I actually had one tell me who did my colonoscopy and endoscopy in 2001 that there was no way you could poop food out whole! :rolleyes: I do not think they even knew what to look for! These people think they know everything there is to know.

Thank goodness for this forum and informed doctors!

Dear gfpaperdoll,

I know what you mean! Doctors assume because they went to medical school, they are smarter than you! :angry: Here is a question for you: "How many doctors does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" The answer is: "None! They would not know where to put it!" :lol: I had a whole team of morons in white coats telling me I was just mental after going through four horrific days of GI testing up at IU Med. That is not including all of the idiots I saw in town. Speaking of, I have some nasty letters to write!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I can't say how monumentally this forum has helped me. I learn something everyday.

I am not expecting a positive or negative but I figured it was a place to start. And I am just keeping positive. I know I have Celiac I am itching all over from DH and I am achy all the way to the bone, my digestive system is a nightmare and I am hell bent on getting better. I will not give up on healing.

You know, GluGirl, I have never had one cavity and now just this last year my teeth are going. They are becoming dark and discolored and I have no shine at all. I mouthwash w/ straight hydrogen peroxide for 15 minutes twice a day. It helps a little :)

oh by the way, went to the apt and they couldn't find my lab order and they can't do any lab work without one so I am waiting for a call back so I can have it done, I am about frazzled already! ;)

sending healing and love you all of ya! B)

sickchick

Dear sickchick,

That sounds like what happened with my teeth! About two or three years ago is when I began having trouble. They just chip off little by little. :( Even worse was the fact they often did it while I was eating soft food like scrambled eggs! :o

It really makes you worry, doesn't it?

I cannot believe they misplaced your lab order! :angry: I would be fit to be tied, too! Maybe they will find it, and you can get it done. Keep us posted. Healing and love to you as well!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I think MommaGoose is the anti Enterolab police of this forum - heaven forbid that anyone that does not have an actual positive biopsy think they might have celiac. We must just be a bunch of Enterolab diagnosed hypochondriacs. well maybe except for my one friend that is double DQ1 & positive biopsy & then positive thru Enterolab for gluten and dairy. Oh NO, wait, although she has a positive biopsy it must be only gluten intolerance because she does not have DQ2 or DQ8, okay maybe it is just in her head too...

But what I really think is that anyone smart enough to quit eating gluten before the villi are damaged should not care what anyone says that had to wait to get a positive biobsy before listening to what their body was telling them & then to down play the suffering of others.

I believe the statement in question was regarding Enterolabs DIAGNOSING for Celiac Disease. It is my understanding, as I have stated in the past, that Enterolabs does not and cannot diagnose for Celiac Disease. They can, however, test for sensitivities to certain foods.

If I am incorrect, please feel free to correct me. If I am wrong, I will sincerely apologize. Accuracy on this forum is very important to me, as is to the people who depend on it.

I was diagnosed through a biopsy and then found out what Celiac Disease was. I had no idea what was wrong with me other than the fact that I thought I was dying. In my time here on this forum I have never been critical of those who chose a different road. We all endure the same voyage.

Apparently, I hit a sensitive note.

I appreciate everyone's imput, I really really do B)

MUAH!

sickchick

I think MommaGoose is the anti Enterolab police of this forum

Quite the contrary. MommaGoose was simply stating fact--that Enterolab does not diagnose Celiac Disease. They say as much on their site. It's important that we keep the facts straight on the board.

One thing I've always had a great deal of respect for on this board is that although there are disagreements from time to time, we are very respectful of one another--no matter if an individual is diagnosed through traditional means, self diagnosed, found out through alternative testing, or diagnosed gluten sensitive through Enterolab. We're all in the same day to day boat, and do the best we can to support one another.

I think it's important to keep in mind board rule #1, which is: Do not be abusive or otherwise out of line towards other board members. Show respect for each board member, no matter what you think of their views. This is not a place to quarrel.

Dear Patti,

I agree we are here to support one another. It is alright to disagree, as long as we respectfully do so. Fighting does absolutely no good. The negative energy does not help any of us heal, and in fact, adds to our illness. I hate it when people get in fights.

Sincerely,

Jin