Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

Confused And Need Some Help!

i am a newly diagnosed with a gluten intolerance and am getting tested for celiac in a few weeks. i am really, really confused as to 'what' exactly i can eat.

i know i can have nothing with wheat, barley, oats, etc. but i get really confused with drinks (wine) and candy. i look at the ingredients and although they dont say wheat, i eat them. sometimes my stomach has that bloating feeling it use to have when i had gluten and i am trying to figure out what i can and can not eat. i also have issues with marinading meats.

thanks for your help!!

:)

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

Hello!!!

1) if you are getting tested for celiac in a few weeks....you need to be eating gluten for that!!!! Especially if it's a blood test and even a biopsy!!! You tests will be False neg if you are not eating gluten!!!!

2) Here is a list a gluten-free alcholol:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/222/1/Glute...ages/Page1.html

3) Here is a list of gluten-free Candy:

http://www.celiaccentral.org/SiteData/docs...October2007.pdf

Good Luck!

Join eNewsletter

Yes, do NOT eat gluten-free yet. If you have gone gluten-free for any appreciable length of time, your test will not be valid and should be postponed.

Assuming the time for eliminating gluten comes, there is a good listing of ingredients on this web site that are safe, unsafe, and need to be investigated further. You can not just rely on whether you see the names of the gluten grains on the label or not. For instance, natural or artificial flavorings can contain gluten. The only way to know is to contact the manufacturer or investigate the product online (chances are someone else has already asked).

You will also need to investigate any supplements or medicines you take. The labeling requirement for food doesn't apply to them. Unless their label says "gluten-free," you will have confirm this.

You will have to read the labels on everything. I know from personal experience you can't just rely on what is likely to have gluten. I found out that two of my favorite teas contained gluten, only because someone posted on the subject.

About wine, I don't know of any evidence that it ever contains gluten. It can contain other things you might be sensitive to, however. Gluten may not be your only problem.

For the candy, if you have a list of ingredients, I can look at it and see what I can see that might cause problems.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

OH! i have been not eating gluten for over 2 weeks now! thanks! now i am going to have mcdonalds, LOL!

so i SHOULD be eating gluten? thanks for those links!

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

If you want an accurate blood test, yes!

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

If you want an accurate blood test, yes!

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter