Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elye

Disease-curer?

I have a good friend who is a GP, and like so many of them out there, doesn't know a whole lot about celiac or gluten intolerance (the rumour about it being a small paragraph in their medical school textbooks is apparently true).

Lately I've been talking with her about the multitude of symptoms of celiac, and the incredible number of illnesses caused by it. The more I read here and elsewhere, the more boggled my mind becomes. So I thought I would start a thread on exactly this question: What "diseases" or illnesses have vanished or lessened greatly with you after going gluten-free? I'll start:

A co-worker who is English has an aunt in London who has been wearing braces on her legs most of her life due to severe rheumatoid arthritis. Eventually she was spending most of her days in bed, unable to walk. Well, you know what's coming...Finally, an astute GI put her on a gluten-free diet. Now, the braces are gone and she is near normal. Incredible... :):)

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Emily :D

My experience isn't as dramatic, but I had eczema for about 12 years that went away completely and has not returned.

And I don't miss the anemia at all ;) I had a hemiglobin count of 8 about a month before I was diagnosed, and it went up to (and has stayed at) 14.6 after 6 months on the gluten-free diet.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

How much time do you have? LOL :D I'll just refer you to my signature, that will be quickest. The one thing I don't have listed there is that they thought I had MS for a long time. It was actually ataxia and nerve damage so that was the way I listed it but many features like extreme fatigue and weakness after a bath and vision problems had them thinking MS.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter