Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tndrheart44

Wheat Germ Oil

I used to use a Trader's Joe product-- lavender bath oil-- and noticed wheat germ oil is listed as an ingredient... will this make me sick? I have read so much conflicting information on skin products... some say NO and some say that gluten is too big of a molecule to get through skin...

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It may be too big to get through intact skin but gluten is absorbed and reacts with mucous membranes. There is also the issue that anything that gets on your hands, oils in particular, are going to remain on the skin and thus can be transferred to your mouth by your hands when eating. You would be wise to stay away from it especially if you are new to the diet. Any amount of gluten even small amounts of CC are enough to keep the antibody reaction going.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Different people have different sensitivity levels. The oil shouldn't contain wheat protein (gluten) to begin with, and on top of that, you aren't blatantly eating it. However, some people react to wheat germ oil (possibly because of celiac...possibly because of other conditions), and if it makes you more comfortable, you might consider switching to a different product.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter