This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Here's A "little" List For You

scotty

scotty Explorer

lettuce

cauliflower

cucumbers (prettty sure)

there are ones i have not tried but of like the main ones...thats my list. everything manages to irritate in some way or another. is that strange or what. how am i supposed to get my vitamins? i'm thinking of trying beans...maybe nuts, as another source of food. or to broaden my diet here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The One Apprentice

Even boiled carrots or potatoes irritate your stomach? I would recommend going to the site whfoods, click on the Eating Healthy button and then click The World's Healthiest Foods link, there will be a list of legumes and grains and other foods that you might be able to tolerate that are very good. For example chickpeas, lentils [red especially] and such are very good sources of vitamins/minerals and fiber, remember you are supposed to get 30g of fiber a day and beans are the best for it.

Hope that helps,

AJ

scotty Explorer
Even boiled carrots or potatoes irritate your stomach? I would recommend going to the site whfoods, click on the Eating Healthy button and then click The World's Healthiest Foods link, there will be a list of legumes and grains and other foods that you might be able to tolerate that are very good. For example chickpeas, lentils [red especially] and such are very good sources of vitamins/minerals and fiber, remember you are supposed to get 30g of fiber a day and beans are the best for it.

Hope that helps,

AJ

crazy isn't it--i have not tried carrots or potatoes for a loooong time here. i know carrots having giving me problems but they were uncooked. i'm close to apoint where i have the confidence to try though and potatoes were a definite very soon in my plans. thanks for the site. i will research

Ursa Major Collaborator

Most vegetables aren't any good for me. But I can tolerate cabbage, celery, rutabaga/turnip, cauliflower, lettuce and limited amounts of a few others. Raw carrots are no good, and cucumbers are definitely out for me. But cooked carrots seem fine in small quantities.

Potatoes aren't as hypoallergenic as most people think. I can't tolerate the nightshades at all (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant), and that intolerance is actually quite common. So, be careful there.

hathor Contributor

You can go with legumes, nongluten grains, fruit, nuts & seeds, right?

According to one list I've seen, the veggies least likely to be the source of a food intolerance (when cooked) are:

beets

beet greens

chard

summer squash

artichokes

celery

string beans

asparagus

spinach

lettuce

sweet potatoes

winter squash

Do these veggies bother you?

buffettbride Enthusiast

Have you been tested/considered for OAS? OAS is oral allergy syndrome and is an irritation that results from eating many raw fruits and vegetables. I don't know much more about it other than my daughter's teacher has it. Not quite the booger that Celiac is, but a pain, nonetheless.

tarnalberry Community Regular

it's worth trying the vegetables that you may be able to have, but well cooked. far more than just you have reported issues with raw veggies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VioletBlue Contributor

I understand and sympathize. I worry that it won't stop and I'll just keep finding new allergies.

Cucumbers make me itch. Potatoes cause stomach problems and aggravate my chronic bronchitis, though other nightshades don't seem to be a problem for me. Corn goes straight through me, though I am going to try organic corn to see if certified organic non GMO corn makes a difference. Sunflower anything makes me itch. Then there are the miscellaneous stuff in the daisy family like chicory and encinichia and the stevia plant, and of course sodium nitrates and sulfates.

Course I also haven't had cauliflower in a long time :rolleyes: so who knows about that.

I just keep trying to broaden my diet. Next trip to the store I'm buying some yams, and I"ll try some cauliflower and some broccoli maybe. I keep trying to add new stuff to my regular diet trying to find something I like to replace what I've lost. Have you looked in a couple organic stores to see if they have other options? They sometimes have fruits and vegetables you can't find in a grocery store.

Anyway, I sympathize.

Violet

lettuce

cauliflower

cucumbers (prettty sure)

there are ones i have not tried but of like the main ones...thats my list. everything manages to irritate in some way or another. is that strange or what. how am i supposed to get my vitamins? i'm thinking of trying beans...maybe nuts, as another source of food. or to broaden my diet here.

scotty Explorer
You can go with legumes, nongluten grains, fruit, nuts & seeds, right?

According to one list I've seen, the veggies least likely to be the source of a food intolerance (when cooked) are:

beets

beet greens

chard

summer squash

artichokes

celery

string beans

asparagus

spinach

lettuce

sweet potatoes

winter squash

Do these veggies bother you?

i want to try all kinds of beans, legumes, lentils whatever to see how much they bother if at all

i can't do fruit. makes me cold and tingly in extremeties.

i'm going for nuts a little hesitantly because of the suffocate you allergic reaction scary thing. i have pretty much ruined myself on peanut butter last couple days, worked at first but i may have ate too much; due to the fact that i added quinoa too, carbs in general. i needed somehting. now my thrush has arose and my gas is awful

and by the way i always cook my veggies and most of that list irritates me

scotty Explorer
Have you been tested/considered for OAS? OAS is oral allergy syndrome and is an irritation that results from eating many raw fruits and vegetables. I don't know much more about it other than my daughter's teacher has it. Not quite the booger that Celiac is, but a pain, nonetheless.

i always have cooked my veggies. i can't do fruits and though is does seem like something will work then it like builds up inside. i really don't look forward to trial and error i have so much already i just want one meal that works over and over

scotty Explorer
I understand and sympathize. I worry that it won't stop and I'll just keep finding new allergies.

Cucumbers make me itch. Potatoes cause stomach problems and aggravate my chronic bronchitis, though other nightshades don't seem to be a problem for me. Corn goes straight through me, though I am going to try organic corn to see if certified organic non GMO corn makes a difference. Sunflower anything makes me itch. Then there are the miscellaneous stuff in the daisy family like chicory and encinichia and the stevia plant, and of course sodium nitrates and sulfates.

Course I also haven't had cauliflower in a long time :rolleyes: so who knows about that.

I just keep trying to broaden my diet. Next trip to the store I'm buying some yams, and I"ll try some cauliflower and some broccoli maybe. I keep trying to add new stuff to my regular diet trying to find something I like to replace what I've lost. Have you looked in a couple organic stores to see if they have other options? They sometimes have fruits and vegetables you can't find in a grocery store.

Anyway, I sympathize.

Violet

i guess broadening could be fun. i'm so tired though of things sinking through and not being able to pinpoint; which is why i have been so narrow; it's easier to find the problems; maybe i listen to my body and if i eat it and it don't feel right the first time then i cut it immediately

buffettbride Enthusiast

Can you do dairy?

Maybe cucumber sandwiches on Chebe with some cheese?

I'm feelin' for ya man. You must be starving.

scotty Explorer
Can you do dairy?

Maybe cucumber sandwiches on Chebe with some cheese?

I'm feelin' for ya man. You must be starving.

yea thanks---no dairy. everytime i find something that actually provides energy i eat the store out of it; and it stops providing energy when i have an episode of who knows what obliterating me. i am beginning to wonder if i just don't accumulate and then my body can't hold it; like i don't ever get glutened as they say i just get intoxicated meaning not drunk but like toxicated like waste build up. bowel movements are strange for me but lately i either get poisoned or what and then the constipations begin then drippy bad gas where everytime i feel it nudge like i'm finally going to flush myself out it ends up as nothing but aggravating air. or i am somewhere i can't hurry and try to get in the bathroom to catch it (if only i could get away with a diaper) and sueeze out a small bit which felt would be a lot. it even feels like a glutening, where i get redness, irritated, everything i eat i feel all watery, no absorption, and i just pee it out and pee it out can't hold it even that's wher i get backed up then...theres got to be another problem of sorts cuz i know i am not being glutened when this happens--my diet is too strict, my lifestyle is too strict

buffettbride Enthusiast
yea thanks---no dairy. everytime i find something that actually provides energy i eat the store out of it; and it stops providing energy when i have an episode of who knows what obliterating me. i am beginning to wonder if i just don't accumulate and then my body can't hold it; like i don't ever get glutened as they say i just get intoxicated meaning not drunk but like toxicated like waste build up. bowel movements are strange for me but lately i either get poisoned or what and then the constipations begin then drippy bad gas where everytime i feel it nudge like i'm finally going to flush myself out it ends up as nothing but aggravating air. or i am somewhere i can't hurry and try to get in the bathroom to catch it (if only i could get away with a diaper) and sueeze out a small bit which felt would be a lot. it even feels like a glutening, where i get redness, irritated, everything i eat i feel all watery, no absorption, and i just pee it out and pee it out can't hold it even that's wher i get backed up then...theres got to be another problem of sorts cuz i know i am not being glutened when this happens--my diet is too strict, my lifestyle is too strict

You're probably too old for this to be a real option, but have you been checked for T1 diabetes?

Do you have a good doctor to work with?

scotty Explorer
You're probably too old for this to be a real option, but have you been checked for T1 diabetes?

Do you have a good doctor to work with?

you know that is funny cuz most people have said that when i tell them about the urination problem. i have tested blood sugar levels using my step-father's glucometer (sp) a few times...a few years ago, should test myself again, that's all the doctor would do, test then have you eat then test again...but he should be kicked in the head cuz he does not know he is a doctor

i'm seeking a new one

and i don't know cuz i eat carbs and you know soluble fibers and i feel great!! it's like they slow the liquid and i absorb more. but i get these times wher i am goign stronger and these "glutening" episodes trigger it or a vegetable spikes me in the bladder or something else spikes me in the bladder or like now where i got backed up and you know how they say the candida won't allow you to absorb things well i feel that, just peeing it out...i want a big bowl of quinoa right now but i am not sure the consequences

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

How long have you been gluten free? I had leaky gut and it took well over a year for it to clear up and now my foods I can tolerate have expanded a bit. Probiotics I believe helped me immensely.

scotty Explorer
How long have you been gluten free? I had leaky gut and it took well over a year for it to clear up and now my foods I can tolerate have expanded a bit. Probiotics I believe helped me immensely.

yes leaky gut is very frustrating...which led me to meats and veggies only--now i am not so sure...i used to devour veggies and they really felt right and like what i needed and they seemed to work for the most part. made me afraid for quite some time now about carbs and sugars in general, avoiding at all cost. i think i had something that spun me for a loop i just can't figure it out. i feel better today and as if it filtered out last night and this morning sort of like when you know a cold evaporates, you know when you can feel it end; like one second your miserable and the next you feel like eating everything to replenish days of that misery

i want to expand my diet so bad but i want to with only what will work from now on. i really hate that delay too--you know where it goes down ok, no problems...but then out of nowhere, few hours later or overnight WHAM!!! you got a terrible mess

Archived