Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

earthgoddess0308

Chebe And Pamela's Bread Mix

Hi there,

I need some advice...over the Thanksgiving holiday I attempted to make two bread roll mixes. The Chebe bread mix and Pamelas amazing bread mix. They both were "edible" but ugly and there were ISSUES!

1st I followed all of the directions to a T...and I mean everything for Pamela's including the yeast packet with WARM water etc.....they dough was sooooo stickey and wrapped around my hand mixer..once I scraped off what I could and set in a cupcake tin to rise for 1 hour....yeah...THEY NEVER ROSE.... so I thought maybe while baking...?? NO....still looked like they did when I dropped them in the sheet when they were done.

2nd The Chebe mix......they failed to mention that you need to roll the balls of dough to the size to want the rolls and I ended up with wedding cookies size rolls that were rock hard on the outside and not cooked all the way on the inside...???

ANY SUGGESTIONS????? :o

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We did Chebe for Thanksgiving. I rolled the balls just slightly smaller than the size of a golf ball, and they turned out great. Definitely pretty hard on the outside and a bit doughy (but cooked) on the inside. I used the cheese kind rather than the all-purpose as well, and added the recommended dose of baking powder also.

Once they cooled a bit, I put them into a large Ziploc bag an that softened the outsides a bit. They were DELICIOUS! I've made another batch since then as well.

I also tried to make a loaf of the Namaste bread and it was pretty, um, interesting.....I think I've decided yeast isn't my thing.

Join eNewsletter

We have found that we need to knead the chebe mixes a little more than we would anything else and they rise fine. I am not into the look of them though, only the taste and the fact that I have bread I can EAT!!!

After a bad experience with Pamela's several years ago, I haven't tried anything since but I think I heard on here they have a dedicated factory, but now dieting, kind of throws a kink into things.

-Kate

gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:

Strawberries and Banannas (2007)

Nitrates (April 2006)

Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)

Peanuts (Nov. 2004)

Soy (Oct. 2004)

Almonds (Sept. 2004)

Corn (Sept. 2004)

Lactose/Casein (1999)

Join eNewsletter

Hi there,

I need some advice...over the Thanksgiving holiday I attempted to make two bread roll mixes. The Chebe bread mix and Pamelas amazing bread mix. They both were "edible" but ugly and there were ISSUES!

1st I followed all of the directions to a T...and I mean everything for Pamela's including the yeast packet with WARM water etc.....they dough was sooooo stickey and wrapped around my hand mixer..once I scraped off what I could and set in a cupcake tin to rise for 1 hour....yeah...THEY NEVER ROSE.... so I thought maybe while baking...?? NO....still looked like they did when I dropped them in the sheet when they were done.

2nd The Chebe mix......they failed to mention that you need to roll the balls of dough to the size to want the rolls and I ended up with wedding cookies size rolls that were rock hard on the outside and not cooked all the way on the inside...???

ANY SUGGESTIONS????? :o

I tried the Chebe rolls this Thanksgiving and they were great!! The directions said if the dough was too sticky to add more mix or something else, I can't remember. It did say to make them no larger than 1.5". I got the cheese rolls and the directions were pretty straightforward. Sorry to hear you had bad luck with them - I enjoyed them and so did my non-gluten-free family.

Laura

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992

Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005

Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

Join eNewsletter

We did Chebe for Thanksgiving. I rolled the balls just slightly smaller than the size of a golf ball, and they turned out great. Definitely pretty hard on the outside and a bit doughy (but cooked) on the inside. I used the cheese kind rather than the all-purpose as well, and added the recommended dose of baking powder also.

Once they cooled a bit, I put them into a large Ziploc bag an that softened the outsides a bit. They were DELICIOUS! I've made another batch since then as well.

I also tried to make a loaf of the Namaste bread and it was pretty, um, interesting.....I think I've decided yeast isn't my thing.

Did they stay the same size?? The mix I had didn't suggest baking soda? I will have try again :) Thank you!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter