This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Oatmeal Help Fast!

blondebombshell

blondebombshell Collaborator

are there steel cut oats that are gluten free? what brand and where can i get them!

i am sooo confused about the whole oatmeal thing!

i miss my oatmeal and need it!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
are there steel cut oats that are gluten free? what brand and where can i get them!

I have not tried this,

Gift of Nature, Certified Gluten-Free Rolled Oats

www.giftsofnature.net

tarnalberry Community Regular

oats have two issues:

1. most of them are contaminated - you can google for 'gluten free oats' to find ones that are produced in fields that aren't rotated with wheat and processed in facilities that aren't shared, but that doesn't affect number 2...

2. as the oat protein, avenin, is similar to the wheat protein, gliadin, about 10% of celiacs react to oats as well.

HiDee Rookie

In addition to the gifts of nature, Bob's Red Mill just came out with certified Gluten-Free Oats in September. They have rolled and steel cut. You can order them from their website or ask your local health food store to order them for you.

mamaw Community Regular

The gluten free oats co. in Powell, Wy

Cream Hill Estates from Canada

Bob's Red Mill

Only Oats---- this one has quick oats also.

These are the four that carries gluten-free oats. Be careful with oats. Start out very slowly as some people have reactions to them. I've been eating gluten-free oats for several years now but I still only eat 1/2 cup at a time.

I've just ordered the quick oats for cookies & such. Quick oats are smaller & steamed so they are not hard , much better for baking. You can use the gluten-free regular oats or the steel cut (coarser yet) & use a food processor to make them less coarse but be careful not to get to small or you have oat flour!!!!

I never thought I would say I missed oats...... I'm thankful I don't react to them....

mamaw

Ridgewalker Contributor

I bought some rolled oats by Bob's Red Mill at Whole Foods, which we haven't tried yet. But they don't say gluten-free on them. Are they not safe? :( I was worried that they were too cheap to be gluten-free... I am going to be so annoyed...

Edit-- Well I went to Bob's Red Mill's website and checked things out, and then looked at my bag of oats, and they don't have the slash over the wheat stalk... So my oats are not gluten-free. I am glad we haven't tried them yet, but I am so disappointed... I wanted to make No Bake Cookies!!!

loco-ladi Contributor
I wanted to make No Bake Cookies!!!

Have you tried Quinoa for this yet? I am going to try it for apple crisp here in a couple days...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hayley3 Contributor

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that. Also, I made some granola cereal with toasted buckwheat once and I just loved the crunchiness of the buckwheat. Reminded me a little bit of rice crispies.

Have you tried Quinoa for this yet? I am going to try it for apple crisp here in a couple days...
Nutmegger Rookie

I did try the Bob's Red Mill oats since they were on sale at my local Ocean State Job Lot, but they made me horribly ill. I strongly, strongly suspect I have avenin reactions and am going to be checked for it later this month. The discussion on the LiveJournal celiac community seemed to confirm that a lot of people have reactions. So, go very carefully with them at first.

• 1 year later...
minniejack Contributor
I bought some rolled oats by Bob's Red Mill at Whole Foods, which we haven't tried yet. But they don't say gluten-free on them. Are they not safe? :( I was worried that they were too cheap to be gluten-free... I am going to be so annoyed...

Edit-- Well I went to Bob's Red Mill's website and checked things out, and then looked at my bag of oats, and they don't have the slash over the wheat stalk... So my oats are not gluten-free. I am glad we haven't tried them yet, but I am so disappointed... I wanted to make No Bake Cookies!!!

I did the same thing, but my husband in all of his infinite wisdom said, "They should be okay."

No Bake cookies are his favorite and the only food that I think he has ever actually made in his life (he's 47). He made them; they looked yummy and scrumpdelicious.

So...with great worry ate one...then another. My son who is the worst of us ate 2. Then....Nothing. Yippee!!!

But next time, I will buy the ones that say gluten-free on them. :lol:

GFLisa Newbie

I tried Open Original Shared Link (rolled oats) this summer and had a reaction to them. I didn't try them again until Christmas when I was craving my favorite child hood cookie, which called for oats, but no flour, so I figured I'd give them another shot. I used them again in the cookies and did not have a problem.

Archived