Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AussieJ

Specific Hand Lotions

Hi, I'm new to gluten-free and alternate between grief and curiosity about all these changes.

Just discovered makeup/creams as a potential threat so today I'm going through hand lotion.

Does anyone know if Elizabeth Arden green tea refreshing body lotion is gluten-free or the source of the lecithin in it?

Also, Crabtree and Evelyn's Summer Hill hand therapy--made in UK, given as gift and no longer have ingred. list from box.

Also, anyone else struggle to cope during changing over? Any suggestions?

THanks a lot, I've learned a lot already

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

As far as I know, you can use any lotion, just make sure that it's completely soaked into your skin before touching anything. (So you don't ingest it).

I think it's a decision you need to make for yourself; there are a lot of people that have gluten-free everything (pet food, lotion, shampoo, etc) to be safe. I DO keep away from any chapstick or lipgloss that has gluten, but otherwise, I just wash my hands brutally after feeding my cat.

Good luck! Also, you'll get used to the new lifestyle...it's not so bad.

~Sally

As far as I know, you can use any lotion, just make sure that it's completely soaked into your skin before touching anything. (So you don't ingest it).

I think it's a decision you need to make for yourself; there are a lot of people that have gluten-free everything (pet food, lotion, shampoo, etc) to be safe. I DO keep away from any chapstick or lipgloss that has gluten, but otherwise, I just wash my hands brutally after feeding my cat.

Good luck! Also, you'll get used to the new lifestyle...it's not so bad.

~Sally

I don't know about the lotions you mentioned, but some Bath and Bodyworks hand lotions have barley in them, so be sure to read labels. You can always call the company if you have a question.

I am allergic to fragrance and dye so I use Suave sensitive skin lotion and have never had a problem.

Oh, and lecithin usually comes from soy or eggs.

Really, celiac disease isn't bad compared to many other diseases. Not many can be treated with a change in diet alone! No nasty drugs! (I've got many autoimmune diseases and I really think this one is the easiest, since I don't have to get injections or take pills for it.) And you do get used to it. I can't even remember what real pizza or bread tastes like anymore, and that's good since I'm not pining for them all the time!

--Heather