Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skikat

Document For Doctors To Sign For Taxes

Does anyone know where I can find and print out a template for the doctor to sign that confirms diagnosis. I will be submitting receipts for gluten free foods for taxes. I already have the information about the tax credit, now I need a letter from the doctor. This won't be a problem, but I just thought maybe if there were a template somewhere on-line, I could print out for the doctor and she could just fill in some of the blanks with specifics.

Son- 1 y.o. - Active gluten sensitivity (enterolab results 12/07) and two celiac genes found.

Gluten-free/Casein free since 11/07- Positive Results

Negative bloodwork on Celiac panel

Dtr- 3 y.o. IGg blood-test pending for 150 different food sensitivities

Spouse- Active gluten sensitivity and Active Casein sensitivity(enterolab results 1/08)

gluten-free/CF since 1/08- Positive results

Me- Just crazy and playing detective everyday

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You can claim the DIFFERENCE of gluten free food from regular food.

For example: Regular product, $3. Similar gluten-free product, $5. So, $2 is deductible.

However, in order to do this, you have to meet the "7.5% of income spent on health care" otherwise you can't claim it. For Celiacs, thats can be a hard threshold to meet unless you have other health expenses beyond gluten free food.

Happygirl is correct above. If you have a flexible spending account, however, you can use that to claim the difference between the regular version and the gluten free version even if you don't meet the 7.5% threshold. gluten-free food is considered medically necessary for our diagnosis, so it falls under the FSA guidelines. See this link for more info: http://tinyurl.com/yog8x4.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

are you from US or Canada??

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

I live in the U.S. Maybe someone has a letter they have used for their doctor and I can copy and paste? Minus all the personal information.

Son- 1 y.o. - Active gluten sensitivity (enterolab results 12/07) and two celiac genes found.

Gluten-free/Casein free since 11/07- Positive Results

Dtr- 3 y.o. IGg blood-test pending for 150 different food sensitivities

Spouse- Active gluten sensitivity and Active Casein sensitivity(enterolab results 1/08)

gluten-free/CF since 1/08- Positive results

Me- Just crazy and playing detective everyday

I live in the U.S. Maybe someone has a letter they have used for their doctor and I can copy and paste? Minus all the personal information.

Hmm, sorry i'm not familiar with the US taxing system..the only thing i've learned in Taxation so far is when someone from Canada moves to the US, that's about it....I can tell you that I just get to the doctor to write on a prescription slip that I have Celiac and am on the gluten-free det. And that's always been sufficient. But maybe check with your tax professional to make sure of it.

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)