Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mandigirl1

Are Apple Martinis gluten-free?

Does anyone know what's okay to order from a bar? Last week, I went out with friends and had a few apple martinis. A few days later I suffered a horrible, excruciating Celiac attack (severe naseau, diarrea), so bad I thought Id need an ambulance. Ive also been eating out lately cuz it was my birthday. I was very safe in ordering (bland food). The waitresses went out of their way to make sure nothing had gluten. The only thing I can think of what caused my attack was the alcohol. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

It's been awhile since I've had apple martini's but those should be safe. Here is a list of gluten-free alcohols:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/222/1/Glute...ages/Page1.html

What I would suspect is the eating out. Even though the food itself is gluten-free doesn't mean they aren't cooking it on teh same grill as gluten or touching gluten foods and the touching your's ect.

Some, not all of us, react to gluten grain alcohols regardless of the fact that they are 'supposed' to be gluten free. If the martini had a gluten grain vodka it could very well have gotten you, but so could eating out. If you want to know for sure get some potato vodka and a small bottle of regular gluten grain vodka. Wait until you are symptom free and not consuming anything else that is risky. Have a martini with the potato vodka every night for 4 nights. See how you feel. Then wait a few days and do the same with the gluten grain vodka and see how you feel. That should give you the answer as to whether or not you can tolerate distilled gluten grains.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)