This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat Allergy

Tazzie

Tazzie Newbie

HI

I am new here so if this isn't the correct place to post please move as you see fit.

I have just been told by my ENT that I have a wheat allergy.. I used to eat alot of pasta's, breads, pretzels, soups, etc that all contained wheat.. one of the things I noticed was my skin would feel like it was crawling or tingling.. and I couldn't stand to have anything or anybody touching me.. (besides the other symptoms.. ) I felt like all my senses were in overdrive, especially my sense of touch or feel

Is that normal. I think I read somewhere on here where somebody said it felt like bugs were biting them, and I was thinking "that's me"

Also I printed off some things off the internet of foods to avoid that contain wheat and some that may contain wheat.. one fo the things it says is "gum".

What do they mean by that.. because soooooooooooo many things I have looked at have stuff like guar gum in it.. is it that type of gum or is it chewing gum? Another one was artifical and natural flavorings.. how do I avoid natural flavorings???

Thanks

Tazzie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HannahHannah Apprentice

Sorry to hear about your wheat allergy Tazzie, but congratuations that you have an official diagnosis of what is wrong with you so you can stop it happening! :D

I personally haven't had the tingling, but I can agree with you that it is common to read about that kind of thing on here. Seems perfectly normal to me. It might be too soon to tell, but does it go away after a week or so of not eating wheat?

In terms of the 'gum' thing - a lot of gluten free foods use xantham gum to act as a (for want of a better word) 'springy' agent! Guar gum is made from the guar bean - it is used in much the same way as xantham gum - to emulsify and thicken. I'm not sure what those guidelines mean to be honest when they mention just 'gum'. I am sure some chewing gum will have wheat/gluten in it, but I believe I'm right in saying the majority does not.

You will get used to what these funny ingredients that seem to be in everything are! If in doubt, google the ingredient+wheat or +gluten. I probably do that twice a day!

Are you based in the UK? If you are, you can buy a directory from the Coeliac society that is basically a little book of all foods that are gluten free on sale in the UK. It's very comprehensive and has pretty much everything in there.

Remember, if in doubt, don't eat it! And check the ingredients of *everything*!

scotty Explorer

you've come to the right place

Mom23boys Contributor
Is that normal. I think I read somewhere on here where somebody said it felt like bugs were biting them, and I was thinking "that's me"

My son started calling his reactions "bugs" about the time he was 4 y/o.

It kind of got funny (not then but is now) when he started identifying foods that gave him "bugs". We would be in a grocery and he would point and start yelling "bugs, bugs!". That was fun :o .

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I'm glad to read this thread!

For years and years... I've dealt with the "face itchies." My skin burned, and itched.... and nothing would ever help. Years of antibiotics, different lotions, creams, magic potions (ok, not really) and if it existed under the sun and was thought to be helpful, I'd try it.

When I went gluten free, the itchiness disappeared... almost completely. About 2 weeks in, I ate something that I would *assume* to be gluten-free, only to find out that it wasn't. I found out because 10 minutes after eating it, I felt like I could scratch the skin right off my face. It was HORRIBLE. When I asked (which yes... I should have done FIRST!!!!) it was confirmed that there was wheat in it.

I still am amazed by how different my skin feels when I'm 100% gluten (wheat) free!!! Is it an allergy to wheat? I don't know... my kids have food allergies and my reaction is nothing like theirs. Regardless, when I eat it.... it's not good any way you cut it!

Soonerman Rookie

How did you find out the wheat allergy, did they do a prick test? I only ask because I want to know best way to see if that is my problem.

Thanks

Tazzie Newbie

First to answer a previous question I am in the United States, Iowa to be exact.. :)

As far as the wheat allergy.. I went to my doctor complaining that I was having difficulty swallowing ( it felt like the food got stuck in my throat, not to mention the IBS,bloating and skin crawling that went along with it.

He sent me to an ENT who at first thought I had acid reflux until I told him the foods that I noticed giving me the most problems.. ie bread, pretzels, pasta, certain breakfast cereals..

He then told me to eliminate wheat completely from my diet for 4 days and then eat a piece of bread on an empty stomach to see what the reaction would be.. you guessed it.. all the symptoms returned..

He said he would say I definitly have a wheat allergy and that he could do a blood test but the elimination diet is supposed to be more accurate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Your doctor should have done the blood test to find out if it is celiac disease, not just a wheat allergy. Some people here have celiac disease AND a wheat allergy. Most have a gluten intolerance (which celiac disease is, too), which is not the same as an allergy.

You might want to eliminate all gluten (rye and barley, too), not just wheat. Because if you have 'IBS' (not a valid diagnosis, as the irritable bowel is caused by something) it is more likely a gluten intolerance.

missy'smom Collaborator

Just FYI. There is a Celiac clinic at the University of Iowa in Iowa city. There are also a number of support celiac groups in the state who could help you find a Dr. knowledgable about Celiac if that's something that you decide to pursue.

Tazzie Newbie
Just FYI. There is a Celiac clinic at the University of Iowa in Iowa city. There are also a number of support celiac groups in the state who could help you find a Dr. knowledgable about Celiac if that's something that you decide to pursue.

thanks I have to go back to him in a few weeks, so I will talk to him about getting tested for the Celiac as I think I have a gluten allergy but I haven't lost a bunch of weight like what I hear of people doing . in fact just the opposite I have gained but I also started developing cystic acne ( some I have had to have surgically removed) about 3 years ago.. is that also related?

Soonerman Rookie
Your doctor should have done the blood test to find out if it is celiac disease, not just a wheat allergy. Some people here have celiac disease AND a wheat allergy. Most have a gluten intolerance (which celiac disease is, too), which is not the same as an allergy.

You might want to eliminate all gluten (rye and barley, too), not just wheat. Because if you have 'IBS' (not a valid diagnosis, as the irritable bowel is caused by something) it is more likely a gluten intolerance.

Sounds like you know alot. Can you give me an easy to understand explanation of the difference between wheat allergy, celiacs disease, gluten intolerance, and gluten allergy? How do you tell the difference in symptoms (if you can) and how do you tell the difference with testing and which tests you would do for each?

Sorry for the many questions, but it is something I have been wondering but can't get a clear answer. Also if others know please feel free to answer, thanks in advance.

Archived